Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Starts Very Soon

Limited company.

Company of Heroes 2 was one of the best games I played at last year’s Eurogamer Expo. I think I actually played the brief demo three or four times so I could try different approaches to the combat. It was really, really good.

But following THQ’s unfortunate demise, I was worried it would hit a lengthy delay when it got snapped up by another studio. Sega stepped in for the Relic game, though, and although that was mildly unexpected, it was great news, given the pedigree they have with publishing the Total War games for Creative Assembly.

Well, now I can start getting excited all over again. The pre-release schedule for Company of Heroes 2 seems well on course, with a closed beta launching on April 2nd. Initially, this will just be for those who pre-ordered the game but there will be a second phase “in coming weeks” which opens the beta up to a much wider audience.

The initial closed beta will feature the multiplayer and skirmish gameplay on six maps. Participants will be able to take part in 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 or 4v4 games, with or against other players and AI opponents. They’ll have access to the first 40 levels of progression too.

The beta is hosted on Steam and makes use of the Steamworks matchmaking and friends lists. It’ll primarily be to test balancing ahead of the game’s June launch.

Source: Press release

1. Kris Lipscombe
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Mar 2009

You’re wrong Peter, it was the best game at EGX.

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 15:55.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

yeah, maybe. When Vikings Attack and Tomb Raider ran it close though.

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 16:16.
  2. Nismo400R84
    Since: Aug 2012

Also worth noting since they moved over to Sega company of heroes 1 was updated on steam and now use steamworks for friends and matchmaking.

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 16:02.
    • Peter Chapman
      Team TSA: Editor

ooh, does it? That’s good news, I think. Steam is fairly steady, isn’t it?

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 16:15.
      • Nismo400R84
        Since: Aug 2012

Yeah I haven’t had any problem connection wise and I play supcom2 and that as the same steamworks. They didn’t really warn you I checked my downloads and it updated coh1 plus expansions which weigh in at 17gb :-/ thank god for fast tinternet.

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 16:29.
      • teflon
        Community Team

Ah, that explains why it tried to re-download everything recently…

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 18:22.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

It’s been available to pre-order on Steam for a while, but it’s priced at £39.99 last time I checked which is too expensive for me, I’m sure that if it doesn’t come down I’ll buy it somewhere else, and I’m not too bothered about the Beta as I prefer playing the single player rather than the multi player.

Comment posted on 28/03/2013 at 17:45.