Feature

What We Played #102: Driver: San Francisco, Virtue's Last Reward and Tomb Raider

The one that's full of embargoes.

Blimey, it’s Friday again. Despite this week feeling like it’s dragged a fair bit, Friday has somehow snuck up on me. Greg has yet to return from his sojourn, so you’re stuck with me guiding you through another week’s worth of gaming.

I’ll start things off by sharing what I’ve been doing this week, and for once I’ve been getting a bit of variety in my gaming. That variety comes via the wonderful service that is PlayStation Plus, and is in the form of inFamous 2, Driver: San Francisco and Machinarium.

Of the three, Driver: San Francisco is probably my favourite. While the jumping between cars mechanic seemed a little odd at first, it opens at some interesting possibilities when the police are chasing you. Rather than simply out running them, why not try and block them off with a lorry? It adds a puzzle like element to the game, and encourages experimentation, making for a fun experience overall.

There’s also a lot to like about Machinarium, although I think the Vita version that’s arriving next week might be better. The touch interface could really benefit it, assuming that’s the direction they go in.

As for inFamous 2, I’ve played a little bit of it but now it’s broken. For some reason the PlayStation Plus version refuses to download the latest patch, and will no longer let me into the game. If anyone’s got any advice I’d be very grateful.

To counter point my diversity, Dan has been applying a laser like focus to Soul Sacrifice on the Vita. While he’s been playing it, he can’t really say much about it due to the embargo. What a tease! All he’ll say is that it’s “very compelling, if not a tad difficult”.

Peter has similar embargo limitations. Although he’s been playing Grid 2 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon he can’t actually talk about them until next week. Instead he just gave me this string of emoticons, saying that people can draw their own conclusions: “:| :) :D :O >:( :D XD”. Make of them what you will.

Fortunately, Aran’s actually been playing some games he can talk about. First up is Virtue’s Last Reward, which he describes as “more of an interactive story than a standard game”. Apparently you spend most of your time “reading plot and dialogue before being presented with a puzzle.” Sounds thrilling! The biggest problem Aran had with the title was that it required multiple playthroughs to advance, at which point he decided he “could not be bothered… [and] deleted [it] from my Vita.”

His Vita does seem to have been getting some attention this week, as he’s also been playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss. He feels that it’s “as good as any Uncharted on the PS3″, although the graphics obviously don’t match up. He’s currently halfway through, and can feel the game building towards something, so I’m sure we’ll here more of Drake’s adventures next week.

Sticking with the adventuring motif, Tomb Raider‘s been getting some love from Aran as well, so much so that he’s declared it his GOTY so far. This week he’s been “going through areas to pick up treasures and complete challenges”, saying that the collectibles “offer a lot of depth and background to the story”.

Finally, he’s been spending time with Okami HD, although perhaps not enough of it. He’s currently ten hours into the game and feels “the end is nowhere in sight.” Although he finds the game’s voices annoying, he does say that it’s brilliant overall. Much like Uncharted, I feel we’ll hear more of it in coming weeks.

If you remember last week, Dom announced that his gaming time has been constricted by an ongoing house move. Currently his house is full of boxes, which is hardly the best environment to get some gaming in. However, he has managed to find a little time for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, as well as the odd go at Zen Pinball 2 and Kirby’s Dreamland.

He’s also squeezed a bit of Football Manager 2013 now and then. Unfortunately this means he’s been playing it while queueing for various things, and consequentially holds up the queue while a virtual game is taking place. I can’t imagine it’s a trait that’s making him popular.

Our other newbie, DanToo, has been spending a lot of time with Surgeon Simulator 2013, a game he called “outrageously funny”, even if it is “starting to lose its appeal”. He’s also been developing road rage while playing F1 2012, due to his hatred of the game’s online drivers. “They are so incompetent,” he complains, before going on to say that “Codemasters don’t do a good job either with their flawed penalty system.”

Much like Aran he’s been spending time with Tomb Raider, although only for about half an hour. The only opinion he’s formed so far is that “the quick time events were really not needed.” His week of frustration wasn’t eased when he took to Slender The Arrival, a game he described as not “scary anymore, just downright frustrating.” Hopefully next week he’ll find something he likes.

Finally we turn to Greg, who’s still away in Switzerland and Germany. Travelling back and forth between the two nations means he’s only had time to play a little Candy Crush Saga on his Nexus 7. However there is an upside to his time away:

On the bright side, I’ve been working down near Lucerne today and The Alps have looked absolutely spectacular in today’s bright sunlight after a cloudy couple of days so it’s not a bad place to be working even if you have no time for video games.

I’ve got to say, that does sound rather nice. Hopefully those beautiful views won’t keep him away from What We Played for longer than he intended.

What have you been up to this week?

1. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Platinum sly cooper 2, 23 plats for me, going give the sly series a rest then after will do sly 3 to conclude the series.

Mainly been on the vita with guacemelee, draw slasher & Thomas was alone. Might start LA Noire or Okami or finish of Ni no Kuni

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:06.
    • Forrest_01

If you are doing the third to conclude the series, i think you might be missing a bit of information… Mainly that the 3rd game is not the end of the series! ;)

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 17:44.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Lol I’m considering getting sly 4 for the vita but I don’t know if it’s worth it

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 18:31.
      • Forrest_01

Speak to freeze about that one i guess (as the holder of the fastest plat) – I would comment, but i too haven’t finished the 3rd one! :S

Must get back to that at some point.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 18:39.
      • freezebug2

Yup definately worth getting Sly 4 Thieves in Time, not least because it’s a cross buy title for only £19.99 on the store giving both PS3 and Vita versions, but it’s probably the best in the series. (only downside for me was the frequent short loading screens)
        I don’t own a Vita but apparently it’s one of those games where if you platinum it on the PS3 then cross save to Vita it gives the platinum for the Vita automatically or vice-versa on the PS3 when platting the Vita version.
        Oh, and Sly 3 certainly ain’t the best effort from the series. Decent enough game but a bit lazy I thought. ;)

Comment posted on 27/04/2013 at 10:15.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Lots of Vita…..platinumed Guacamelee (it’s great co-op btw!!), gone back to finish Mutant Blobs Attack. I also played the Soul Sacrifice demo (didn’t like it, it’s not bad…it’s just not my thing). I also played the Silent Hill demo, thought that was ok but nothing special. I very much liked the Urban Trial Freestyle demo so I shall probably be buying that at some point.

On PS3 I’ve played progressed a bit more on Bioshock Infinite, and despite the gameplaying being rather boring and interesting, the story has become engaging, so I shall continue with it.

I also completed the Dead Space 3 “Awakened” DLC co-op with McProley, which I actually thought was pretty shit, unlike Dead Space 2’s “Severed” DLC. It just recycled most of the main campaign levels which a few visual changes, and the story wasn’t particularly interesting.

I also played a bit of Cars 2 with my son…..he absolutely loves it!!

On iOS I finally made my international debut on New Star Soccer, and have since scored a few goals for my country too! :D

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:18.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

That should read “the gameplay being rather boring and UNinteresting”. Man I’m tired.

Dead Island Riptide arrived yesterday…I’m hoping to give that a go with McProley over the weekend, since we’re going to do the entire game (and hopefully Platinum) co-op!! :D

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:30.
  3. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Killzone 3 and Thomas on Vita.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:25.
  4. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

On Wednesday I received my copy of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, so I think I won’t be able to touch anything else for a while. The game is fantastic, the atmosphere, the graphics…the whole world is just really well done. I don’t even mind that I don’t know where to go, what to do, everywhere I go everything can kill me in an instant…. I love it ^^.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:28.
  5. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

Finally got my Tomb Raider Platinum and played a some multiplayer on the TSA meet. Also played a bit of Bioshock Infinite, Dead or Alive 5 and some Marvel Pinball.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:31.
  6. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

This week,I’ve finished off far cry 3 which I’ve really enjoyed,I’ve just got to finish off co op for platinum. I’ve still been playing ni no kuni :-)
    Vita wise,I grabbed the platinum for Lego LOTR and been playing NFS most wanted and guacamelee. I’ve downloaded Thomas was alone so I’ll be giving that a whirl soon :-)

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:40.
  7. KeRaSh

Got a Nintendo 3DS XL last Saturday and downloaded Super Mario 3D Land. I’ve been playing it throughout the week and I loved every minute of it.
    I’ve finished all but the last last last level, for which I still need the fifth and final Profile Star. I’m saving unlocking the last star for another time, though so it doesn’t get too repetitive replaying some of the levels again straight away.

I also downloaded Fire Emblem: Awakening after finishing Mario and the hype around this game was justified. I avoided this game due to it’s strategic combat nature but after trying the demo I was already hooked.

The 3DS might be the first Handheld since the Game Boy Advance that I don’t regret buying. I usually buy new handhelds on day one and then regret it because there are not games to play. Holding off on my 3DS purchase until now was the best descission that I’ve made and it really paid off. The current line up looks great and this year will be a great one for 3DS owners.
    Zelda: A Link to the Past is easily my favorite game, ever and the announcement of a sequel really made me aware of how great the 3DS actually is.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:55.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

Enjoy your 3DS. Given it can play original DS games too, its probably the best handheld ever made in my opinion. Not sure if Resident Evil is your thing but Resi Revelations is great and a real showcase of what the 3DS can do. Mario Kart 7 and Rhythm Thief are also a lot of fun :-)

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:59.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Oh and Heroes of Ruin…. And Snake Eater…. And Star Fox 64…. And Ocarina….
        Gah! I’ll need to fish mine out when I get home :D

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:00.
      • KeRaSh

Haha, thanks for the list. I’m not a big Resident Evil fan, probably because it’s the one franchise I genuinely suck at (at least I’m not aware of any other…) but if it’s a good game I might give it a try if there ever happens to be a game drought (which seems very unlikely).
        The DS compatibility is awesome. I will definitely get both DS Zelda games at some point.
        (3)DS games that are currently on my radar are:

Luigi’s Mansion 2
        Paper Mario: Sticker Star (or Star Sticker… I keep forgetting)
        Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
        Mario & Luigi: Dream Team / Bowser’s Inside Story / Partners in Time
        (There’s also a Nintendo Europe thing where I get a free game if I register Luigi’s Mansion 2, Fire Emblem and DKCR3D which might be Animal Crossing: New Leaf for me)
        Zelda Phantom Hourglass / Spirit Track
        Obviously Zelda A Link to the Past 2

just to name a few off the top of my head…

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:14.
      • Eldave0
        andUandU

Haha, yeah its not until you sit down and think about it that you realise the 3DS has a very decent library of games :-)
        Its just a shame (in usual Ninty fashion) they release loads in quick succession and then have a large dry spell. My 3DS hasn’t been switched on in months but now suddenly there are 6/7 games that I want. Typical, lol.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:52.
      • salvodaze
        Since: Dec 2012

And don’t forget the wonderful Layton games :) I love my DS games. If you never tried, definitely give Advance Wars games (Dual Strike is amazing) a go, one of my favorite franchises ever. Too bad Intelligent Systems seems to have put it aside.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 19:16.
  8. Eldave0
    andUandU

Nothing much this week.
    Fired up Gears1 for the first time in a while and made a start on my Insane playthrough. Stopped after an hour or so however as its designed for co-op really.
    This week’s “Ghosts” rumour put me in the mood to play some Black Ops 2 so I made a start on League mode last night. Enjoying being put in games with players of a similar skill level.
    Other than that I played the Injustice demo a few more times (its really growing on me now, I should really get a copy) and had a few matches of WWF No Mercy on the N64.
    Oh, I also grabbed some classics from my local indie games store last weekend, including Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars, SSX Tricky and Metroid Prime :-)

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 09:56.
  9. Origami Killer

Well I sounded miserable haha! Played a little more of Tomb Raider now and really enjoying it.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:16.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Yes you did! ;)

I also thought those QTEs kept interupting the gameplay, but they soon become less frequent to be fair!

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:29.
      • Origami Killer

I’ll be much happier next week I assure you! That’s good to hear, the game is quite difficult too which I like. Using the bow reminds me of Far Cry 3 as well.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 10:42.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Good man! ;)

I didn’t find it too tough but I just really enjoyed it, and the bow is pretty cool…and it gets better when you upgrade it! Fire arrows FTW!

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 11:08.
  10. leeroye
    Since: May 2012

I picked up Driver SF for a fiver in the last sale. Well worth the money, brilliant.

Comment posted on 26/04/2013 at 11:23.