Need For Speed Rivals Announced For PS4, Xbox One, This November

And current gen too, of course.

As expected, EA have announced Need For Speed Rivals. The game, co-developed by Criterion and Ghost Games, will run on Frostbite 3 and will be released this November for current gen platforms, along with a next-gen outing whenever they’re released.

The game is described as a “white-knuckle action/racing game” and aims to “capture the adrenaline and intensity of the street’s ultimate rivalry between cops and racers.” It’ll be an “open road” environment, so won’t be like Need For Speed: The Run.

“In Need for Speed Rivals, gamers play as either a cop or racer,” says the press release, “where each side of the law has its own set of high stakes challenges, rewards and consequences. As a racer, the goal is to become infamous for taking risks behind the wheel and capturing your most intense escapes on video for the world to see.”

Players gain Speedpoints for evading the police, which unlock new cars and items. You lose all your Speedpoints if you’re busted, apparently.

As the police, players work together to pursue the street racers, earning promotions in the ranks for each bust – which in turn unlocks new cars and tech.

The press release also mentions something called AllDrive, which allows seamless transitions from single to multi-player racing, “creating a world where no two events will ever be the same.” It also confirms the return of the Ferrari brand, which is nice.

1. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

I think i’ve grown to hate these trailers now.

The thought of a Need for Speed game on next gen consoles is cool, and i like that Criterion have a hand in it, but I don’t think all of these different developers working on the franchise is really working that well.

Also, I still want Burnout.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:22.
  2. Origami Killer

Why do they keep banging out the cops and racers idea? Really who likes playing as a cop? I’ve hated it every since cops were introduced.

If a game called Rivals doesn’t feature split screen too I’ll be absolutely baffled.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:22.
    • Jas-n

Twas good in Hot Persuit (I think) but obviously not as good as being a racer. They do need to alternate more though, going through cops/racers, pure racer, underground (other?), wouldn’t be as samey then.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:42.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

I liked it in Hot Pursuit too, but I thought that the roughly even number of cop/racer events was silly, more straight forward races would have been better. This should be a good solid launch title for the next gen, reliably current gen gameplay wise but fingers crossed it’ll be horrendously pretty.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:49.
  3. Kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Yet another NFS game that is not a new Underground. NEXT.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:24.
    • Airiaen

Yeah, Hot Pursuit is getting old. I’m surprised they haven’t went back to street racing with all the mods you could buy for the car. Kinda like the Armored Core of Racing games really.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:43.
  4. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Yawn. I’ll wait a couple of weeks for the next NFS game they throw out.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:28.
  5. cam the man

Is anyone else getting the message ‘this video is private’ when trying to watch it?

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:31.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

Error – this reply is private and can not be viewed by cam the man.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:37.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

You haven’t missed much, it’s shit.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:45.
      • cam the man

It’s decided to let me view it, yep pretty crap.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:17.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

In fact, it’s probably the worst and most pointless trailer I’ve ever seen.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:45.
  6. Airiaen

So its not any different to Hot Pursuit or any other NFS game? it seems like its the same thing all over again. As usual.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 15:42.
  7. DJ Judas
    Epic

Sigh, open world again. I’m beginning to think I’ll never again see a racer I enjoy as much as Burnout 3.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:04.
  8. Forrest_01

I still like the whole cops/racers thing, so i reckon i’ll be in for this.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:05.
  9. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

I’m more up for Drive Club at the moment seeming its an exclusive as I don’t want the $hitbox One games holding the PS4 versions back ;)
    Hopefully the exclusives can make more use of the full potential of the extra ram the PS4 will have access too. I think I may be turning into a fan boy lol

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:09.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Meh, with Drive Club looking like a true next gen racer doing something new, the only thing that’ll sell me on this is either a 9/10 review or a Vita version.

Comment posted on 23/05/2013 at 16:09.