PS3 Firmware 4.45 Is Out But Don't Install It Yet

Hold off on the install.

We’re well used to PlayStation 3 firmware updates by now, and they’ve really improved the speed with which they download and install. So, you might just press your way through the options and prompts and get the new firmware installed as swiftly as you can so that you can get into your games. But, we’re hearing troubling reports that might mean it’s best to hold off on the update for a while.

There have been plenty of reports on the US PlayStation support forums (I assume most of Europe is still asleep) of the update bricking PS3s. For clarity: It appears that this update is completely killing some PlayStation 3 consoles. Do not download and install it until we get the all clear.

The update is mostly for stability purposes, although it also allows users to switch off trophy notifications. It’s not like it’s a big loss to wait a couple of days while Sony investigates and fixes this potential problem. Don’t forget that if you’re a PS Plus subscriber, you might have your console set to auto download and install these updates too – it might be worth digging into your settings (Settings > System Settings > Automatic Update > Off) and switching that off.

Update: Looking into this a little deeper, it seems like it’s mostly PS3s with 750GB and 1TB hard drives that are being stricken. So it might be an issue with larger, self-installed drives. Still, better safe than sorry.

Source: US PS Support

1. Airiaen

I guess its not optional right? though I only have a 80gb PS3.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 04:25.
  2. bunimomike

If it’s bricked after I finish The Last of Us, that’d be fine with me. :-P

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 05:25.
    • ron_mcphatty
      Since: Sep 2008

You don’t mean that. *covers Mike’s PS3′s ears* Don’t worry little PlayStation, he didn’t mean that.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 07:40.
  3. ghag07

Rumour has it, the firmware update has since been removed

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 05:45.
    • TheShepanator

may well be, I just turned on my ps3 and no update prompt came up, I connected to PSN fine

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 20:36.
  4. gazo69

Crazy to think there are people out there that want to turn the trophy notification off! Strange that this has even cone out, can’t imagine its strongly requested.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 06:08.
    • Eldave0
      andUandU

To be honest I had always hoped they would introduce this feature. When playing a game for trophies? Fine, I want that notification. But for games where I am trying to immerse myself and don’t care about trophy hunting, nothing is more distracting than that constant “pling!” noise and icon appearing on your screen.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 09:16.
  5. Dar-Kaus
    Since: Apr 2009

Won’t it be too late to do that that now if the update is already out?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 06:17.
    • parryman
      Since: Apr 2012

Depends on when you run your auto update.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 06:23.
    • Sillyseason
      Since: Jan 2013

Ps plus only downloads firmware it doesn’t install it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if this was yet another Microsoft viral campaign.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 07:05.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

what?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:32.
      • CarBoyCam
        Since: Sep 2009

Yeah. Silly’s correct. It only downloads and doesn’t install for this exact reason. Had the update installed automatically and bricked the console, Sony wouldn’t be able to blame it on human error…

I was tempted to update this morning and if it bricked, phone Sony and let rip when they told me it was my fault! Haha!

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:33.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if this was yet another Microsoft viral campaign.”

i meant that part. which is ridiculous.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:35.
      • Kitch

Are you suggesting Microsoft planted the comments to stop people from downloading the Firmware?
        If this is true, what have they achieved?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 09:23.
  6. Muskyy
    Since: Dec 2011

I already updated mine. I’m online now but I’m not sure if it’s because i didn’t check the “turn off after update” option. Not sure if turning it off now is going to brick my console, so I’ll keep it on for the time being.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 06:24.
  7. Gaztee
    Since: Mar 2009

Surely that last line should read better safe than Sony??

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 06:54.
  8. Fartinabag
    Since: Feb 2013

No problems here, 1TB HDD. This sounds like the usual Sony hating thats just ramped up a gear because the XboxOwned crisis.

It’s interesting how many users in that thread registered today…. (check the BIO). The handful that aren’t could be long therm shill accounts, or just random failures.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 07:20.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

nonsense. i know people who have had their ps3s bricked this morning.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:33.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

yep my 1TB got bricked last night.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 12:57.
    • CarBoyCam
      Since: Sep 2009

Maybe people registered today because today’s the first time they’ve had a bricked PS3 and they want support… Just a hunch. ;)

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:35.
  9. a inferior race
    I'm special

Isn’t this the second time that sony have released a seriously damaging fw update?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 07:29.
  10. Amphlett

Jeeeez, I was scared. I’m a PS+ user, I’ve set my PS3 to update at 4am to 6am (I often leave my controllers plugged in so they also charge during this time) and I’ve installed a 1TB hdd. Just checked and my sexy slim PS3 is purring away as normal. Phew.

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:00.
    • mrfodder

Likewise, but it downloaded it, but needs user input for install. Doesn’t that all become automatic next generation?

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:33.
    • CarBoyCam
      Since: Sep 2009

As Silly said above, Plus doesn’t install the update. It downloads it only. So just be careful that you don’t touch System Update until the new firmware is out! :)

Comment posted on 19/06/2013 at 08:36.