DualShock 4 Controllers Work With PS3s Too

And it has to be wired, like the DualShock 2!

If you don’t want a couple of additional controllers lying around your living room, then don’t worry – your DualShock 4 controllers will also work on your PS3, though obviously won’t bring any of the additional touchpad functionality.

Note that this doesn’t work wirelessly, so it’s not an ideal solution, though perhaps means you can squeeze some extra life out of the multiplayer games on your PS3.

It also means that you’re able to use the DS4 with four devices – PS4, PS3, PS Vita TV and PC. And it is a lovely controller; from what I’ve experienced with it, I think I’d definitely prefer to use it than the current DualShock 3.

Source: YouTube, via AllGamesBeta

Read more: # #
  1. OnlineAssassinOA
    Since: Jun 2012

Well its a bonus better than it not working.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 02:14.
    • philzy85

PS3 firmware update might get it wireless, come on sony!

Comment posted on 24/10/2013 at 10:26.
  2. TSBonyman

I guess it’s down to them using different bluetooth in PS4/DS4 – or maybe they can patch the PS3 firmware to allow them to connect wirelessly?
    It may come in handy further down the line anyway – i’m keeping my PS3 but i already have one DS3 which lasts only an hour on a full charge and another DS3 which seems to need charging more often so it will be good to have the DS4 option.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 02:24.
    • bunimomike

Replace the battery, fella. Pretty straightforward stuff. :-)

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 08:30.
      • TSBonyman

I’m fine with taking them apart – i’m just not that confident about putting them back together properly ! :)

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 11:12.
      • Spence1115

I’ve done it actually, took a couple of minutes. Inside there’s only really one board and the triggers that move, and its really easy to put back. Hardest part was actually getting the controller apart as they’re really tight. Worth it though, battery has been great since (this was a year ago).

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 18:40.
  3. 94jdh

But what happens to L3 & R3, I thought the analogue sticks weren’t clickable?

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 08:32.
    • Stefan L
      Community Team

The analogue stick are perfectly clickable.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 10:01.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

I remember reading that the ’3′ buttons had been done away with, glad to hear that its all rubbish! Are the face buttons still old school squishy analog types or new and boring on/off ones?

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 16:54.
  4. Lanselta

Silly question maybe, but I haven’t read anything confirming or denying.. Can one use a DS3 on the PS4? I can’t imagine every game is going to require touch screen, share, and its own little night light, especially the Gakai stuff.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 08:58.
    • double-o-dave
      Since: Nov 2008

I’m pretty sure DS3 controllers don’t work on the PS4.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 09:11.
      • three_leg_jake
        Since: Aug 2011

I believe that is correct, DS3 does not work on PS4.

Given that and the DS4 only working on PS3 wired plus the PS3 bluetooth headsets not working initially with the PS4, I would suspect there is a fundamental difference in the way bluetooth devices communicate with the two consoles.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 09:17.
  5. bigchrissyc
    Since: Aug 2013

Thats pretty awesome even if they have too be wired.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 09:38.
  6. Tarbun84
    Since: Feb 2012

I want all videos on this site to be from German sources from now on please

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 11:24.
  7. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

Das ist gut!

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 12:11.
  8. cam the man

I was going to say that I didn’t think I would ever use the DS4 on PS3 but thinking about it the new triggers and improved thumb sticks could make a difference to PS3 games.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 13:25.
  9. pdannysan13
    Since: Mar 2013

This is great news! I will wait for the DS4 to come out and play Far Cry 3 (PS+) with it !
    OMG !

PS. this german guy is brilliant.

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 14:27.
  10. Spence1115

Right, got 4 PS3 controllers and a total of 4 PS4 controllers on the way. I’ll sell some of the PS3 controllers then, since I don’t mind a few wired when it gets used for multiplayer. If they can patch it into the PS3 for wireless, there goes all 4!

Comment posted on 22/10/2013 at 18:42.