Microsoft have just announced a “historic new decade” for Xbox 360 is upon us, and want to tell everyone just how great 2010 will be for Xbox 360, with the “biggest lineup of blockbusters and exclusives ever witnessed in the industry.” Of course, when you include the likes of Halo: Reach, Fable III and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction, it’s hard to argue.
“2010 is shaping up to be the biggest year ever for Xbox 360,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Across the portfolio, we have an unparalleled lineup of blockbuster games and exclusive experiences, the likes of which have never been seen before.” The list of so-called blockbusters (and exclusives) so far announced for 2010, then, is:
- Alan Wake: Nightmares come to life in this gripping psychological action thriller from Remedy Entertainment, exclusively on Xbox 360. Join writer Alan Wake as he combats dark forces to solve the mystery behind his wife’s disappearance, with light as his only ally.
- BioShock 2: Set approximately 10 years after the events of the original “BioShock,” you are the very first Big Daddy as you travel through the decrepit and beautiful fallen city of Rapture, chasing an unseen foe in search of answers to preserve your own survival.
- Crackdown 2: Featuring over-the-top action, a massive living world, unprecedented online and multiplayer capabilities, and stylish graphics, “Crackdown 2” offers complete freedom to explore, destroy, and restore justice to Pacific City – by any means necessary… only on Xbox 360.
- Fable III: Return to Albion five decades after your last heroic adventure and experience an action-packed journey that will take you from revolutionary to ruler. As you ascend to the throne as king or queen, you will be called upon to make choices and sacrifices that will test your morality but can have significant impacts on your entire kingdom. Experience the next chapter in the famed “Fable” series exclusively on Xbox 360.
- Final Fantasy XIII: The latest installment in the world-renowned “Final Fantasy” series, which has shipped over 85 million units worldwide, will make its first-ever release on Xbox 360 in the U.S. and Europe.
- Game Room on Xbox LIVE: Relive the glory days of classic arcade and console games in their original forms. Your avatar will take part in the original sights, sounds and gameplay that will make these retro games come alive on your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC in one fast, fun experience.
- Halo: Reach: Step into the boots of an elite Spartan soldier in the most prolific “Halo” game yet, exclusively on Xbox 360. Experience the blockbuster prequel to the award winning “Halo” trilogy, as mankind takes a heroic stand to defend the planet Reach, its people and secrets against the ruthless alien Covenant.
- Lips: Party Classics: Featuring 40 songs that everyone loves to sing from artists like the Spice Girls, KISS, Village People, Gloria Gaynor, The B-52’s and more, “Lips: Party Classics” will offer USB microphone compatibility for even more singing flexibility. This party can only be found on Xbox 360.
- Lost Planet 2: The all-new sequel to the two million-plus selling action shooter will offer deeper insight into the world of E.D.N. III and the uncertain future of mankind. The extensive multiplayer campaign mode comes with the ability to form teams of up to 4 players on Xbox LIVE to clear mission objectives with friends.
- Mass Effect 2: In this second act of BioWare’s epic space saga, players will once again step into the role of the heroic Commander Shepard, commanding their crew of some of the most dangerous operatives from across the galaxy on a mission so challenging that it’s potentially suicidal.
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Conviction: Unleash the skills of your inner renegade spy in this highly anticipated sequel to the multimillion-selling “Splinter Cell” series, one of the most critically acclaimed Xbox exclusive franchises of all time.
- Toy Soldiers: Poised to be a smash hit on Xbox LIVE Arcade, “Toy Soldiers” is an action-packed strategy-based game in which players are cast into a fantastic, miniature world where antique toy soldiers fight for survival in vintage WWI dioramas.
- Scrap Metal: Drift around corners with guns blazing and take out competitors in the fast-paced, top-down racer “Scrap Metal.” Fight your way through explosive, action-packed missions, defeat cunning bosses, or jump on Xbox LIVE to race against your friends, exclusively on Xbox 360.
Microsoft are also keen point out that there’s some killer game add-ons coming this year, too – including new packs for Forza 3, Left 4 Dead 2 The Passing and the Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Map Pack. Do you agree? How does this compare to the announced PS3 exclusives that are hitting this year? Which console does it for you in terms of raw gaming? Me? I’m just glad I have both…