Gearbox are still hoping that people want to play Batteborn, but with a price cut to under four quid it still only managed to get back to number forty in the charts, a shame. Nevertheless, a winter update is on it’s way and unlocks all the characters from the very start – hurrah!
There are also Daily Quest, UI changes, and PS4 Pro support in which you can choose between 1080p at 60fps or 4K at 30fps.
NEW PLAYER EXPERIENCE
Whether you’re new to the game or just want to hone your skills for multiplayer, we’ve added several key features.
- All 25 Core Characters Unlocked! 25 badass playable characters, no waiting! You’re eager to find your favorite, so get to it! With this update, the core 25 characters will be unlocked for all players after completing the Prologue.
- What about the character unlock challenges? These challenges now award a brand new skin upon completion! We’ve also adjusted several challenges to be more attainable.
- Main Quests – Story Mode
- Story Mode missions will have more guides and tools to lead your through various areas of the game. The Credit rewards have also been boosted to help you get an early edge on loot packs
- Two New Training Modes
- Incursion Tutorial: Build up your PVP skills and learn the key elements of competitive play in Battleborn. Your first play-through is solo, but this practice mode can be repeated with groups of up to three players.
- Dojo: Take each and every Battleborn hero for a test drive! Learn how to slice, dice, blast, smash, and rocket your way through waves of minions.
RETURNING PLAYER ENHANCEMENTS
We’ve talked to many players who have put hundreds of hours into the game. Whether you’re coming back for the second time or your two hundredth, we are all about replayability. Listening closely to your feedback, we made some big moves to continue keeping the Battleborn experience fresh for you.
- User Interface Changes: Battleborn’s user interface gets a major facelift. Cleaner, more vibrant, and much easier to find the information you need most. You’ll see UI changes throughout Battleborn, from the starting screen, to the Command center, character select, and even some menu changes.
- Draft Mode: This is one of the most exciting new additions! In Draft Mode, teams and players take turns picking and banning characters trying to find the perfect match-ups and counters for what the other team is choosing.
- Introducing Daily Quests: The action doesn’t end when you take down Rendain. Check back daily for new objectives and rewards across both Story Mode and Competitive Multiplayer Mode.
- Command Rank and Character Rank Increase: Keep on growing your Command and Character ranks! We pushed the cap to 150 for Command Rank, and rank 20 for each character, with all-new rewards!
- Updated In-game Economy: We’ve overhauled the Credits system and how loot packs are made available, particularly in Competitive Multiplayer matches. Credits will now accumulate faster in public PVP matches, making it easier to grab more loot packs from the Marketplace. But not for leavers – they are out of luck and will not receive any rewards. You see, nobody likes a quitter.
- Loot Packs: All loot pack variations will still drop in Story Mode missions, but only one type of loot pack will be available in the Marketplace: The Core Pack. The Core Pack has better odds for higher rarity gear and has a chance to drop any skin or taunt previously available in Faction packs.
- Boosts: A bigger variety of Boosts will become available for Platinum in the marketplace.
- PS4 Pro Support: Battleborn will also support PS4 Pro! PS4 Pro players will be able to choose between 1080p at 60fps or 4K at 30fps.
The Lone Steven
Sadly, it is too late for Battleborn. Overwatch more or less stole it’s thunder and when it went free to play, another F2P launched. It has really had the worst luck and sadly, despite it getting great reviews, it will be forever lost. They may as well just cut their losses.
Picked this up for £2.99 preowned in Game yesterday. That was some of the loose change in my pocket, got to be worth a try for that (Overwatch was £39.99 preowned for a comparsion of how the 2 are faring). Haven’t played much of it yet waiting for this update before I get too involved. Anybody know when it’s out?
BTW, Gearbox have denied that it’s going F2P and instead say they’re looking at at releasing a slimmed down version for free. There’ll then be the chance to upgrade this to the full game. Can’t see who’s gonna pay for that upgrade when the full disc version seems to be easy to pick up for under a fiver.