Pinch of salt time, but apparently these details have been confirmed by numerous sources and they sound vaguely plausible. The details have come from various Reddit posters and collected by GamesRadar.
Grand Theft Auto VI is said to be set in the 1970’s and 1980’s, will have a male protagonist called Ricardo, and is inspired by the TV shows The Wire and Narcos, the latter of is getting it’s own game that will be out way before GTA VI. The game is said to be next-gen only, there will not be a version for PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, so that put’s the release date a good few years away.
It is said that Rockstar have been working on the game since 2012 but only really got stuck in during 2015, and that they are working on a second title at the same time which might be Bully 2.
The game is said to be set in Vice City and a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro, that tidbit of information was reported way back in June last year as well.
Here are the rest of the details that have been leaked.
- It’s another Rockstar Worldwide Production.
- Codename is PROJECT AMERICAS.
- Some linear missions take place in Liberty City, but it isn’t an open world (think Ludendorff in GTA 5).
- Game will balance realism and arcade and it won’t be as realistic as Red Dead Redemption 2.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named “Ricardo”. Another key character called “Kacey” is a part of the narrative. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new large South American area before making connections with big time drug lords and making your way up. Multiple cities.
- There will also be a giant prison which will play a part in the game.
- Will feature a ‘chapter’ system similar to a Tarantino flick or Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Weather is a heavy focus (hurricanes, floods, etc).
- Buildings change over the eras, vehicles too. So older, rare classic cars get more expensive as time progresses etc. Full economy.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack.
- A younger Martin Madrazo will make an appearance as will his father who is a big drug lord at the time. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but bigger. Think the GTA Online system and dial it up to 10.
- You can only have weapons on your person. No arsenal in your back pocket, like Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Your personal vehicle will be like your horse saddle in Red Dead Redemption 2. All your equipment is stored in the trunk. You also store your body armour in the car. If you wear it, it appears, no longer just an invisible thing.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts, very immersive, like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you’re in South America, don’t expect to hear much English. Vice City however is a mix of everything, but mostly English.
- It will discuss topics such as HIV and the immigration crisis of the time. A fictional version of Fidel Castro etc.
- Game is still in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.