DayZ developer Bohemia Interactive have posted a May 2020 recap, discussing changes at the studio as well as their current stable of live games which also includes Vigor, Yland, and popular shooter sim, Arma 3.
In truth, there’s not a whole lot of news here for DayZ fans. Right now the community is waiting for more information regarding the 1.08 update which will roll out new features and fixes.
Here’s what Bohemia Interactive had to say regarding the upcoming patch:
The DayZ team is making good progress with Update 1.08. We’ll share more details soon, but you can expect a number of new features and assets, as well as many bug fixes and balancing tweaks. It’ll be worth the wait!
Back in February, they announced that DayZ would receive fewer updates in 2020 with some of the development team having moved on to new projects. As a result, there will be five game updates throughout the year starting with 1.07 – these will make fixes as well as minor additions such as:
- Base Building is a big part of the game for many of you and we intend to focus on fixing most common issues, proceed with the overall balance pass, and perhaps even add some new toys to play with.
- The impact of the environment on characters is not yet in the state we want it to be, and so we intend to proceed with numerous improvements and balancing changes to make the so called “environment exposure” a much more interesting part of the game.
- We intend to make several quality-of-life improvements for cooking by, for example, implementing direct cooking slots (grill), adjusting lifetimes of different fireplace stages, and even offering more types of indoor ovens.
- We also intend to look into the systems surrounding diseases and their symptoms to make sure they are better balanced, utilised, and perhaps even expand them a bit.
- We will unlock the server mission folder for full modifications on console community servers. This should give console server owners total control over the Central Economy and the ability to add custom locations to the existing maps.
- We will release our animation rig in fbx format and p3d samples of male and female character body parts.
- As teased in our 2019 blog post about the game update, we intend to finalise the full implementation of the server browser with full mod support in the official DayZ Launcher. If all goes through, this launcher update will significantly improve the accessibility to modded servers.
- We intend to continue adding more of the original and/or new firearms into the game.
- We know how important broken body parts (legs in particular) are to the overall DayZ experience, and we intend to bring this mechanic back to the game.
- We know how much you like the new vehicle wrecks on Livonia, so we will add them to Chernarus.
DayZ has witnessed a recent surge in popularity having clocked more than 300,000 players during a Steam free weekend with “hundreds of thousands” jumping in via Xbox Game Pass.
Sadly the game did very little to impress when reviewed the PlayStation 4 version last year, scoring a miserable 2/10. Despite occasional moments of multiplayer magic, it’s an extremely rough and unrewarding survival shooter.
Source: Bohemia Interactive