OlliOlli developer Roll7 has announced Rollerdrome, a futuristic shooter on skates. The brutal blood sport game will be coming to PS5, PS4 and PC via Steam on 16th August.
It’s the year 2030 and Rollerdrome has taken over as the sport of choice, combining stylish skating tricks with slow-motion murder for the purposes of… Saturday afternoon entertainment? Pick your weapons, try to land the killing blow and survive to the end of the round and you might just make it through the round and the championship as a whole.
Sure, it’s got a thin lined cel shaded aesthetic, but if you’re not getting Rollerball vibes, then you clearly haven’t watched enough 70s and 80s dystopian cinema.
Roll7’s Paul Rabbitte and Andreas Yiannikaris wrote up an explainer of how to get ahead in the game:
- Skate or die: In Rollerdrome, slowing down or stopping is a sure-fire way to get yourself killed. Chase the adrenaline and keep up the pace at all times – you need to be constantly moving and carving paths through the arena. Focus on dodging enemy attacks and pulling off tricks – both will restock your ammo. You can fire at enemies to reduce their health and stagger them as you go, but don’t be tempted to stop moving!
- Moves like stagger: Staggering enemies interrupts their attacks, and in the case of the Riot Guard (who protects himself with a large metal riot shield) will put them in a vulnerable state where they’ll take damage from all weapons.
- Reloading: You gain ammo by performing tricks. The more complex the trick, the more ammo you’ll be able to gain.
- Weapons: You’ll have a range of weapons available to you as you progress through the levels – you’ll start with the basic Dual Pistols, but as you progress you’ll unlock other weapons, including a Grenade Launcher and the formidable Z-11 Energy Rifle. Take the time to learn which weapons you gravitate towards, and which are most effective against different enemy types.
- Artful dodging: While you want to stay moving at all times, you also need to be agile to avoid enemies – or to hunt them down. Use your dodge roll to make quick changes in direction. Keep an eye open for enemies taking aim.
- Aim for perfection: The dodge roll and air dodge aren’t just handy for moving around – they’re also the most powerful moves you have, allowing you to dodge any type of enemy attack. You’ll need to utilise dodging as a tactic to evade the highly skilled House Players – enemy combatants who stand between you and your pursuit of victory in the Rollerdrome Arena. If you time it just right, you can perform a Perfect Dodge and enter Super Reflex mode.
- Stay super: Super Reflex mode allows you to experience the ultimate flow state! As an athlete at the very top of your game, the adrenaline rush of executing perfectly-timed tricks grants you a moment of slow-motion clarity. These brief bursts of slo-mo action are the perfect time to pull off some advanced tricks or blast some enemies, as you also gain a 1.5X damage multiplier while in this mode..
- Keep up the combos: Combos are achieved by securing kills in quick succession.
- The sacred texts: If you’re stuck on a certain level – or just hungry for higher scores, check the Tricktionary, where you’ll find details for pulling off new and exciting tricks. You can start small, but as you improve, try to focus on the advanced tricks section – these difficult maneuvers will help boost your score, and they also award more ammo when reloading.
We’re looking forward to trying to put this into action. In the meantime, I guess we’ll just visit the happier-go-luckier chilled out setting of OlliOlli World instead.
Source: PS Blog