Crysis 2 "Better On PC" Due To Console Versions

Says Crytek president.

Crytek president and creative director, Cevat Yerli, has spoken about their upcoming New York-based first person shooter and how the traditional PC version is actually benefiting from its multiplatform development.

“You have to understand that the budget for Crysis was much lower than for Crysis 2,” he says.  “We could spend much more on Crysis 2 because we expected to sell more through multiplatform development.”

PC-only gamers feeling like the PS3 and Xbox 360 are hampering videogame development can at least rest easy with Crysis 2.  “PC gamers will get a better game out of that, it isn’t just take, it’s also give,” says Yerli.

Indeed, although screenshots of the PC version are still elusive (it’s been all 360 so far) that platform will still see one worthy of the much more capable graphics cards and larger memory capacities, and that it won’t be hamstrung by ‘console control systems':

“Crysis 2 doesn’t suffer from that, in my opinion,” he says.  “It’s superior [to Crysis] from every angle.”

Source: Edge 224.

1. aerobes

Struggling to build any real interest for this game for some reason even though I get the impression it’ll be great. Strange.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 08:27.
    • TURRICAN-808
      Since: Jan 2011

I’m not surprised, with so many other awesome games on the shelves and due out shortly, why should we be excited about another generic shooter…..
      I’ll be checking out reviews and hopefulll a PS3 demo before making up my mind……

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 09:11.
    • aphex187
      Since: Mar 2010

I’m in the same frame of mind with this game as well and i think that has a lot to do with how i found Crysis to be quite boring.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 09:51.
    • MaD dOctoR 79
      Since: Dec 2010

all you ever hear about Crysis is how fantastic the graphics are nobody ever seems to comment on the gameplay…which for me was terrible, and 2 doesn’t seem to be any better judging from the multiplayer demos.

Comment posted on 24/01/2011 at 17:17.
  2. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

Too many games, too little time. I like the look of this but it’s going to have to wait until I catch up on all the other games I’ve got at home. By then I’ll know if it’s worth the investment of my time and money.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 10:32.
    • TURRICAN-808
      Since: Jan 2011

Thats what i think with regard to Gran Turismo 5. Y’see, its still being worked on, so i could pick it up in a year and get the finished product and cheaper too :)

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 12:57.
  3. proog

Good to see that it will still hold up well on PC. Crysis was fun, at least at first (the aliens were probably the worst part about it) and the graphics are nearly unrivaled to this day. Looking forward to see how it’ll look on high settings.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 10:48.
  4. ARUMIR Sympozium

Looks set to become another non essential game. How different will it be from other fps?

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 11:17.
  5. StevenHibs
    Since: Oct 2009

Still wish that they would re-release Crysis 1 on PS3, any news on that ?

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 11:36.
    • BIGAL-1992
      Since: Jan 2009

That went out the window when they started work on this.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 12:26.
  6. solidsteven
    Never heard of him.

I take that you would need an extremely powerful computer for this. Why not Criysis needed a supercomputer to run it.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 12:47.
    • beeje13
      Since: Jan 2010

Surprisingly, it’s not as demanding as the original, so more people will be able to run it.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 13:14.
      • solidsteven
        Never heard of him.

You are joking! I know a guy who had managed to get cryis 1 to run on his laptop. It only lasted a few weeks but he was surpised when he did get it to run. I think he has an average laptop.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 20:56.
      • BIGAL-1992
        Since: Jan 2009

If his settings were high enough to get it to work, then there shouldn’t be any reason why he can’t. Also, beeje is correct; Crysis 2 is going to require less demands on the PC than the original Crysis.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 21:02.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

I can play Crysis 1 max settings no AA on my £400 PC…?
        But i prefer medium 4x AA, I then get solid + smooth 60 frames per second.

This is while I have other programs open (inluding two folding@home clients) and no overclocking.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 21:05.
      • BIGAL-1992
        Since: Jan 2009

I can get my PC to run Crysis on the high settings, but not the v.high settings, for some strange reason. Maybe has something to do with the card.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 21:08.
      • DJ Judas
        Epic

Crysis will run on a wide range of systems, but the jump between ‘high’ settings and ‘max’ settings was astronomical. Crytek always said that the max settings weren’t intended to run on current software, but top-end gear a few years down the line……so now.

It’s kind of annoying what they’ve done with CryEngine3 though, the demands are lower and it looks about the same, no matter how much they may try and convince us that it looks better. While Crysis was nothing more than an average game in my opinion, their work on the engine was inspired, and to see companies tethering back the progression purely because they realise they can stretch tech out over a longer period before Joe Consumer wants more is saddening.

I hate when promising individuals and companies take this approach, the more innovators do this the slower things improve. I’m not just talking about games, but science and engineering in general; there’s too much of a business-mind involvement, and it’s stifling.

Comment posted on 23/01/2011 at 02:08.
      • topgear

Crysis Warhead wasn’t coded properly to fully extrapolate the full potential hardware, I have got a radeon 5850 at 1000/4300 speeds and yet at enthusiastic settings with max AA I get 30fps!

Comment posted on 23/01/2011 at 17:42.
  7. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

I love fps (with the exception of COD, can’t stand them) so will defo check this out.

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 14:49.
  8. ElGuason
    Since: Oct 2010

i hope its a good game

Comment posted on 22/01/2011 at 15:47.
  9. tantalus_blank
    Since: Nov 2008

Fair enough, I’m not much of a pc gamer but Crysis is a pc game at heart. I mean, I wouldn’t feel great about something like Final Fantasy going multiplatform and making the playstation version a bit dumbed down…wait

Comment posted on 23/01/2011 at 15:38.