Analysts Suggest NGP Pricing

Cheaper than a 3DS? Sold!

So then, NGP, pretty swish eh? All that computing power is going to come at a price and the first batch of random guesses carefully researched price suggestions have arrived.

As we reported earlier, Eurogamer has been told that Sony will be making a loss on every sale they make, which does lend some credence to the figures that analysts are suggesting. Everyone’s best mate, Michael Pachter, believes PSP2 could sell for $250/£200 whilst Lazard Capital Markets’ Colin Sebastian is expecting a price of $299 in the US.

Personally, I think the chances of Sony undercutting the 3DS are very slim indeed but it would be a massive coup if they could manage a £200 price point; the NGP outshines the 3DS on just about every technical level.  My guess would be somewhere in the £250-350 bracket, how much are you willing to pay for Sony’s new baby?

Source: CVG / Eurogamer

Read more: # # #
  1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Well the 3DS has taught us that $250 does not equal £200, so Pachter is talking as much sense as a random on a forum.

I think £250 for entry level model and £329 for a premium model with 3G and more storage (that’s assuming it’s going to have storage included)

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:03.
    • teflon
      Community Team

That’s just the vagaries of the USD-GBP exchange rate, though. His opinion on the USD price is entirely plausible.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:08.
    • eye8have9you3

Nah I think they’ve learnt their lesson with the original 20GB ps3s and will only do one model,

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:10.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

It’s already been mentioned that will be 2 SKUs one with 3G & one without, also there have been 2 SKUs of the PS3 for ages with 120gb + 160gb and now 250gb + 320gb

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:12.
      • YOURMUMANDME
        Since: Oct 2008

If that’s the case and there is two then there’s no doubt in my mind that the basic model will be less than £200, guaranteed. If it’s more than £229.99 I’ll eat an NGP. The complete version will be below £300 and more than £50 above the basic model.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:24.
      • eye8have9you3

Oh ok, I hadn’t read about having two different models on the fact sheet or anything, but I meant how the 20GB didn’t have wifi, it’s quite an important feature (like 3G) and not including it on all models just seems odd

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 02:37.
    • JesseDeya
      Since: Jan 2010

I agree with you, however I find it amusing you slag Pachter here, but have quoted him in your own news stories when it suits.

Can we all just agree that analysts have NFI?

It’s like the weather forecaster, if all they say is “tomorrow’s weather will be mostly like today” they would be right 80% of the time – that doesn’t make it particularly helpful.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 09:05.
      • tantalus_blank
        Since: Nov 2008

Well if he was actually right at least the majority of the time, he might be a bit more popular. I don’t think he’s awful, I just have no idea why he’s so well known

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 13:58.
    • icuyesido
      Since: Jan 2010

I’d agree with that, pretty pricey but that’s not going to stop me.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 13:16.
  2. teflon
    Community Team

I’m with Pachter in saying it’s very possible for a $250 price point. However, I would understand their reluctance to do so, and $300 is more likely.

As for how random a guess it is, almost all the parts are off the shelf (top shelf, really), and my personal estimate of the price of the parts is $250 or lower. Obviously, factor in some manufacturing and shipping costs, but if Sony are willing to forego those for the first year (smart phone parts will get much cheaper much quicker than the parts of the PS3), they can be turning a profit on the hardware very quickly, and have a good beach head into the market.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:06.
  3. YOURMUMANDME
    Since: Oct 2008

I’ll no doubt fork out anything, blind greed and being self indulgence applies….. Always.
    The family can starve and it’s just wrong : (

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:07.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Such a great comment it’s worth saying twice

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:09.
      • YOURMUMANDME
        Since: Oct 2008

Yeeeaahhh…..
        I’m shaking my head and not knowing what to do ! I thought I stopped the browser updating, it didn’t. I’ll be off then, sorry …. :D

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:11.
  4. YOURMUMANDME
    Since: Oct 2008

I’ll no doubt fork out anything, blind greed and self indulgence applies….. Always.
    The family can starve and it’s just wrong : (

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:07.
  5. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Such a great comment it’s worth saying twice

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:10.
    • Jas-n

Reply fail.

Don’t know how $250 = £20, todays electronics rates mean $=€=£

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:26.
      • cc_star
        Team TSA: Writer

£200 fail

Don’t forget VAT and then you have to take into account cost of living & average wages. Direct currency conversions never work and don’t highlight the true costs of different countries

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:28.
  6. DixNeuf
    Since: Apr 2010

At £200 I’d bite, £250 inc 3G (so long as the 3G use is included in the price, as with the Kindle), I do hope it’s fully compatible with all the PSP games I’ve downloaded for my Go tho….

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:29.
  7. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

If they can match the 3DS’s price or beat it, they can and will return to number one console seller. 3DS will have a lead over a year or two due to the head start, but this could honestly be a PS2 like all conquering seller if it’s marketed right.
    Then again, going by the only actual trailer I can find right now, it seems SCEE have been put in charge of advertising.

And we all know what that means.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:41.
    • cam the man

The 3DS is released 25th March. If Sony can keep to the ‘end of this year’ they stated then the 3DS will only have a max 9 months head start.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 13:12.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

I mean like how much of the 360s lead over the PS3 is attributed to launching first, and building a customer base, not to mention a price difference.
        Plus, it mightn’t come out in all territories this year, unfortunately.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 13:16.
  8. TheUgandanGamer
    Since: Jan 2011

This console looks simply.. amazing!
    Obviously, the most noticable thing is the graphical/touchy side of things (My god doesn’t it look fantastic!), however I’m half wondering what the clock speeds of the thing are.

Obviously, (Like everyone else here) I’m hoping that some extremely awesome games start to take shape on the platform. It’s certainly worthy of calling itself a true Next Generation Portable Device, and I would happily pay about £350* for one!

Good bye, iPod… Hello NGP!

*Dependant on a release of Metal Gear Solid on the console in the near future (MGS4 Tech Demo looks promising!).

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 01:47.
  9. TSBonyman

The price and the battery life are the ones to watch for. If they can match 3DS on both counts they’ll do fine, if they can better either of those i would be much happier, especially the battery life.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 02:57.
  10. masoke
    Since: Oct 2008

I don’t think it is just the 3DS to consider when putting a price on this. Something feels odd about a handheld costing more than a home system, and I wonder if they’d want to price it over what the PS3 costs (and over what was such a disaster area for the PSP-Go). I could imagine a £240 for 3G model and £200 for regular. Perhaps with a subscription for the 3G as well, then they could take a cut with that. I’d be surprised if they follow the Kindle model, as this would be much more data heavy than a Kindle.

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 06:28.
    • Grey_Ghost13

I was just thinking that too. I would be too scared to take it out of the house for a while at too high a price, which would defeat owning one a little bit. Still want one though.

I may wait until the are around the £200 mark and once some games are out before I get one, if they release it at that price its mine, all mine!

Comment posted on 28/01/2011 at 09:46.