Sony Aiming For 'More Accessible Experience' With PS4?

And more games for girls.

In an interview with Spanish gaming site 3DJuegos, SCEE’s James Armstrong talks about the PlayStation 3’s successor.

It’s all been translated via Google, so it’s a little tricky to pull out accurate soundbites, but it does seem like Sony is planning on something a little less hardcore for the next console.

“How do you imagine the next generation of consoles? Is it better graphics, new control interfaces, or both at once?” asks the site. “It’s hard to say right now,” says Armstrong in reply. “I do not think we’ll have a console with much better graphics than the PS3 currently offers. I believe the future will be to provide consumers with better experiences and [be] more accessible.”

“The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women.”

Armstrong says that market research shows that it’s mostly boys that enjoy PlayStation – there are no games for girls.

“We [will] try to snag the games,” he says. “If we are an industry that has a product primarily intended for men, we are actually selling for 50% of what we could sell. So if we can make games for women would have a larger business and interesting. I think it’s important.”

We’d love to see a proper translation of this if any of our readers are Spanish.

1. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

Might finally be able to hook my girlfriend on gaming! Just like a pimp, I can then sell her on the street for “one last fix”. Happy days.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:05.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Lol!

I’m pretty lucky, my wife actually loves Nazi Zombies and feels included with my mates when she plays. That reminds me, need to buy her a pink DualShock3 for her birthday….I’ll do everything in my power to get her involved – so it’ll mean more game-time for me!

She likes watching LA Noire, and has Katamari, Mini Ninjas and a few Disney games of her own! :)

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:13.
  2. Mick939

I dunno, our lass likes gaming, in fact she has three platinums…

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:12.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

That’s impressive, what games are they?

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:14.
    • jcor

That’s 3 more than me!

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:35.
    • Louise

Exactly. I hate this crap. ‘Games for girls’?? That just means they’re gonna start making ‘cooking momma’ and other shit for the PS4. Oh great, that’s hundreds of games that are just going to be ignored by the majority of gamers.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 21:28.
  3. Klart
    Since: Jun 2010

Pffft. I don’t like the sound of this. Hasn’t the Wii tapped enough into “girl gaming”?

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:12.
  4. Death_In_Flamez
    Since: Feb 2011

Alternatively girls could like boy stuff? I got a friend-whos-a-girl and she loves PS3

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:15.
    • Joe

good call.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 13:35.
      • scavenga

Yeah, gender-orientated games are awful. The whole “boys are blue, girls are pink”-concept should have been binned in the fifties. Make everything okay for anyone to use and enjoy.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 14:10.
  5. minerwilly

I’ve struck gold my GF of last 3 months loves my ps3 and even asks me to bring it over to her place . Her favourites are Wipeout Hd , LA Noire , RdR . She bought her first game at the weekend Fallout New Vegas, no zumba , pink fluffy Crap etc in sight . I reckon shed find it patronizing to hear that they want to make more women orientated games.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:17.
  6. Thechunkymunky
    Since: Oct 2009

Women already have a game: The sims :P
    Joking aside, A few women on my friends list play Bad Company 2, GTA 4 etc.
    I think it’s daft that companies think that women want all cutesy stuff tbh

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:27.
    • Sympozium

Still doesn’t stop The Sims from being so cruely addictive….. I don’t understand why people hate it for what gender it attracts. Its better than Grand Theft Auto hehehe….

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:33.
      • Thechunkymunky
        Since: Oct 2009

Better then GTA?! GTFO! xD
        Nah, I don’t mind The Sims. It’s alright :)

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:42.
    • jcor

I’ve seen a lot of girls playing Modern Warfare 2 actually.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:37.
      • Ehlectric

I’ve also seen only 10 year olds playing MW2, so its hard to tell with all the high pitched noise in the lobby haha.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 12:57.
  7. Danlisa

Oh dear, if the PS4 goes the way of the Wii, I am out! I don’t want to wave a wand at my game, I don’t want to navigate using a camera, I DO want to sit down, Dualshock in hand and kick back to good graphics, indepth stories and epic adventures. Sony is beginning to loose their way. :( (note, rumour and hearsay noted).

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:27.
    • Sympozium

Nah they won’t do that, they’d lose customers

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:28.
    • Cutter.T

Who said anything about Women = Motion Control. I (should) mean more In-Depth stories and less Killfest games.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:37.
  8. Sympozium

Justs needs more memory really and I don’t see the point of building a game thats for just one gender. Isn’t it better if it was more equal? besides what the Wii and the DS have got is just shovelware. Oh yeah! a model game from Ubisoft!, Hairstyle maker! and er… Barbie SIM???

Don’t do it Sony… ban them and encourage more Littlebigplanets!

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:27.
    • Cutter.T

I wish I could type as succinctly as you, good comment! :)

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:38.
      • Sympozium

I’m surprised, thanks haha :)

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 12:53.
  9. Cutter.T

What’s wrong with that, in general women and men find different things interesting. I would also like to point out that a lot of games nowadays are being more orientated towards a wider audience: Mass Effect, Uncharted, Heavy Rain etc. Which I find a lot better, games like COD, Gears of War and Halo are games purely marketed at males and I would like to point out that most people are getting pretty tired of them, (well me an my friends are anyway).

What I’m just trying to say is that saying that your making more games for females doesn’t necessarily mean that more ‘Barbie’ games are going to be made or ‘Fitness Game X’, it just means that more games are going to be made that can be played by a wider audience and are less alienating. /rant

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:35.
  10. KeRaSh

It seems Nintendo did the right thing by creating a console that is slightly more capable than the competitors and is still accessible by everyone who bought a Wii since the Wii-Motes are compatible.

Comment posted on 21/06/2011 at 10:36.