Develop: Sony Working On PS4 Games, New Xbox In 2013

Quick, trade in your PS3s.

In a couple of posts yesterday, industry site Develop’s Rob Crossley has leaked information from Sony ‘sources’ that suggest several studios are working on PS4, and that Microsoft are readying their next Xbox for 2013.

Both stories will have struck fear into the respective PR departments, who are clearly still trying to sell this generation of consoles to a hungry public, but we heard on Twitter yesterday that Crossley had given each company plenty of time to respond before the articles were published.

The Sony one seems the most solid.  “Preliminary work on PlayStation 4 games has begun at several internal Sony studios,” it begins, citing the usual ‘trusted source’ and being slightly vague on what that work may entail.  “Various game projects are at very early stages,” it says.

It’s not known which of Sony’s studios has started the work.

The Xbox story, which calls the new machine ‘Xbox Next’, says that “Microsoft and industry partners are working towards a 2013 launch” and says that ‘multiple sources’ have told Develop they expect the console to be revealed at E3 2013, just months before its release.

Both Sony and Microsoft declined to comment on the reports.

1. Forrest_01

I’m thinking reveal in 2013, with a possible release window of 2014/2015?

As much as i hate to say it (as i am still enjoying this gen without concerning myself over whether i have the ‘next best thing’), that sounds about right to me.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:22.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

Yeah, I think you’re right about the dates, and I suspect Europe will be behind Japan & the US anyway. Fine by me due to funds and a huge backlog of games!!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:30.
    • KeRaSh

If the next Xbox really arrives in 2013 then Sony cannot afford to wait until 2015 to bring out a PS4.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 18:38.
  2. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

I can see the Xbox 3 being released in 2013 as the xbox 360 was released in 2004/3 but i can’t see the PS4 being released in the same year as i think it’s still got some juice left in it for the developers to squeeze.

Plus, who thought the Xbox Next is a good name? It seems lazy. The 720 would have been fine or Xbox The third.

I think 2015 is the earliest we will see the PS4 being offically announced then released the following year as Sony tends to release their consoles ten years after the previous one.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:36.
    • nofi
      One for all.

“as i think it’s still got some juice left in it for the developers to squeeze”

No, I think it’s just about squeezed. UC3 is probably as far as it’ll go.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:37.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I think there is still a bit left. UC3 is going to be an excellent example of what the PS3 has to offer. I think Skyrim is an excellent example of what both consoles are capable of doing. :)

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:52.
      • Awayze
        Since: Jul 2010

No it’s not squeezed yet. PS3 is capable of 1080p 60Hz games. There’s still some graphical power left to be tapped. Easily capable with some hard work and coding.
        UC3 is still 720p 30Hz.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 18:16.
      • KeRaSh

While more might be possible, the better question would be if squeezing out that last 5% of power is profitable. New hardware that is easier to program for would make it easier for devs to release 1080p 60 fps games. The PS3 has reached a wall and it’s name is “system memory”. It’s clearly holding devs and technology back.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 18:43.
    • Forrest_01

Xbox the third makes it sound like royalty!

I’m sure it will be a very capable machine, but i doubt it will have blue blood running through it’s circuits. :)

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:39.
      • Devil2k
        Since: Jan 2011

I’m calling “neXtboX”.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:42.
      • TSBonyman

I think Apple might own the rights to the name neXtboX :)

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:37.
      • Darksidesystems
        Since: Aug 2010

My money is on X-cube but written as X3

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 12:20.
      • bacon_nuts
        Since: Mar 2011

X-cube/X3, good call, i like it.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 16:42.
      • yogdog
        Since: Feb 2010

Don’t like X3, sounds too much like the ‘X’series of space simulation games on PC (awesome games!) So the name could be taken by Deep Silver.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 18:44.
    • JBoo
      Banned
      Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:58.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

I doubt it. Even the dumbest people I work with didn’t think it was there 3rd console!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 12:27.
      • a inferior race
        I'm special

or because they were marketing it as a revolution in gaming?

Comment posted on 22/10/2011 at 00:08.
    • moshi

Isn’t Xbox720 even lazier of a name!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 12:23.
    • pitchforkdisney

Sorry to be a pedant but…Hmmm by your calculations the original playstation was competing with the ZXSpectrum and C64 back in 1985! 5 years between generations – till the PS3.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 12:29.
    • kivi95
      Since: Oct 2009

What are you talking about? Xbox 360 was released in 2005.

And where do you get 10years afrom?

ps1: 1995(1994 in Japan)
      ps2: 2000
      ps3: 2007(2006 in Japan)

As you can see that is 5-6 year between the ps consoles. I won’t be annonced in 2015!!! It won’t even be released in 2015.
      It will probably bee annoncend in 2012-2013 and be released in 2013.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 13:53.
    • Lewis Murray
      Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 23/10/2011 at 12:04.
  3. p9ul
    Since: Sep 2009

I’d imagine both consoles will launch within weeks of each other before Christmas 2013. Sony won’t want MS heading a 12 month headstart again, and it should the first playstation that’s not using a new optical storage format – it was blu-ray production problems that caused the PS3 delays.

Start saving – November 2013 could get expensive…

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:36.
  4. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Microsoft next? That’s some next name for a console, as my students would say!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:38.
  5. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

I’ll be happy for a new console as long as I can move across all my psn games, I’ve built up quite the insurmountable backlog!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:49.
  6. MayContainEvil
    Since: Feb 2011

Hope Sony learned from the PS3 that it needs to release close after MS so that they don’t go and build up a huge user base shaped competitive advantage.

I also hope they keep the blu-ray player, surely to switch format would be annoying – I play blu-rays on my ps3 all the time. I wonder if Microsoft will use blu-ray next gen?

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 10:52.
    • AG2297
      Community Manager

Yeah surely Sony must use Blu-ray although they can use a much more modern one with much faster read times which would help with load times as the current read speed on the PS3 from Blu-ray discs is pretty poor.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:12.
      • Jas-n

It’ll most likely be compatible with Blu-ray XL(?) Discs and will definitely have a faster speed, Blu-ray was in it’s infancy when the PS3 was released (BDP players were still ~£1,000), where as DVD was in it’s adolescence, so it had evolved as far as it would.

It’s like the initial X360/PS3 sales comparisons that didn’t take into consideration the release date gap.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 14:03.
      • Lewis Murray
        Banned

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 23/10/2011 at 18:20.
  7. Origami Killer

I think that this year the playstation 3 has reached it’s peak. We have had Move, the eye camera and the best the exclusives can reach in terms of their capabilities.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:25.
  8. TSBonyman

I queued up launch day for ps3 but i can’t say i’ll be doing the same next gen. This generation has come with a sharp learning curve and i’m not sure i want to continue supporting the industry so much any more.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:40.
    • cam the man

I’ve always pre-ordered to get it delivered on day of release, beats waiting ti a queue.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 14:02.
  9. Jim H [Teabags]

In all honesty, I would be content with my PlayStation 3 for at least another few years. I’m getting to that point where I have such a massive backlog that a new console would kill me entirely.

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:49.
    • Forrest_01

Death by backlog?? *gulp*

I better start booking some time off so that i can get some games finished up then!

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:51.
      • bunimomike

*donates laxative*

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 13:53.
  10. plutoniumdragon

About time I reckon, I just hope the new consoles are not too dated (technically) when they finally release.
    Also I think the PS3’s game performance is difficult to quantify, for me it feels very dated and my PC buries it but at a lower price point there should be a fair amount of life left in it.
    I doubt they’ll kill it dead when the PS4 comes along, look how long the PS2 survived :)

Comment posted on 21/10/2011 at 11:54.