EA Withdrawing Non-Rented Battlefield 3 Servers

Rent me.

Venturebeat is reporting that EA are gradually pulling pretty much every ‘official’ Battlefield 3 server, leaving only a few remaining amongst those that gamers have themselves ‘rented’ as a means of playing the game online.

Renting a server costs $30 a month, and once you have control over one you can set your own rules. Thankfully, most of them are still open for others to join freely, even if the rules (and hosts) might not always be to your taste.

“Initially there were plenty of official DICE and EA servers running concurrently with the new private servers,” says the article, “however, console players have noticed the official servers disappearing, to the point where DICE-managed servers are no longer visible.”

Users are understandably annoyed.

“I haven’t played in over two weeks because of it,” said one in a question and answer session on Reddit, “abusive admins and 2000% ticket servers are everywhere and I can’t seem to find a normal server with vanilla BF3.”

Conquest mode, the mode that set up Battlefield, appears to be almost completely absent on the few remaining official servers.

Something tells me the rental system really took off, starting making lots of money and then EA saw there was little reason to keep the free, public servers running.

But perhaps I’m just being a cynical old fogey.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Ummm wow.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:20.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Oh, it’s EA… they’ll be along in a couple of days to tell us it was a ‘mistake’

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:31.
      • TROPtastic
        Since: Mar 2011

I sure hope so, because this is absolute garbage.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 04:18.
      • david24
        Since: Feb 2011

well no. there never was any officel servers on pc and dice said a few months back that this was the plan

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 06:12.
      • hazelam

the mistake was anybody buying an ea game in the first place.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 08:33.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

this is unbelievable…it really is.

Along with the fact its hard enough finding a game thats is “normal” this is now going to be an end for Battlefield for me. I only play EA servers because rented ones are become ridiculous, people boot you if your too good, good players swapped to admins team etc…

Really poor for customers of Battlefield, infact I would go along and say EA can shuve any future games up their backsides if this is true….

VERY disappointed.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 08:31.
  2. HoboCastro
    Since: Mar 2010

What, even Dice servers are going? Give me back my online pass, tossers.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:20.
    • gideon1451

Hear hear! This is disgusting.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:30.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Agreed. It’s one thing doing this from the start of a new game, but (to my knowledge) them
        adding rentable servers was an addition to the current service and was not mentioned prior to the games’ release and as such they should honour the service which was available at release, especially seeing as it’s a very popular (MP) AAA title that hasn’t been out for much more than 6 months, and has an online pass. This is disgusting.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 07:12.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I also wonder how Sony feel about this since PSN is advertised as Free. No wonder the new PS3 bundle comes with MW3 and not BF3 :/

To make things worse they’ll probably pull the last “free” servers before the CQ DLC so people who pay for that (and aren’t aware of the server costs) will then have to pay again to play the DLC. Nice job EA.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 08:38.
      • hazelam

well it’s still free to play on the servers, it’s just those servers are pretty much unregulated from what i’ve read.
        stupid rules and getting banned for beating the admin are just a couple of the stories about them.
        so i don’t think there’s anything sony could do about it, even if they wanted to.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 09:02.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

Sure, there’s nothing Sony can do, it’s not up to them, but I just wonder what their thoughts are.

Oh really, I got the impression there weren’t going to be any public ones to play on. Pretty much the same thing if any ones left are unplayable anyway.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 09:20.
      • Forrest_01

According to this, you got the right impression that there won’t be any public servers to play on, but rented servers can still be open to the public, so you can still play in those & it won’t cost anything bar the initial cost of the game (& an online pass if bought preowned).

The only problem then though is that you are under the scrutiny of the admin, who may be a 12 year old who simply cannot bear to lose & therefore changes the rules of the game & the teams to suit them.

Is it really too much to ask for a couple of official servers with official rules?

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 09:52.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

Hobocastro, I am going to an official complaint and demand my money back or vouchers or something. This is poor customer service and not what I paid my money for.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 08:32.
  3. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I wonder how EA will try to justify the online pass now?

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:35.
  4. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

Really?
    I don’t have BF3 but I find this hard to believe.
    Is it possible they just let the chaps in charge of the PSN maintenance take over the servers? :P

Seriously though, if this is true, it’s a ridiculously bad move from EA, this is still their flagship shooter!
    And the thing I don’t understand is, I’m sure they’re still very profitable, it’s not like they absolutely need to cut costs as the moment!

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:35.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

its not hard to believe at all with EA/DICE and BF3, they seemed to make any possible fuck up come true. Its near to impossible finding an EA server as it is, so I guess they thought, sod it, lets save some money…..AGAIN !

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 08:34.
      • Spinster
        Since: Mar 2010

I hate to see people blame DICE, then call them EA servers. They are EA’s servers and hence DICE will have had no say in wether or not they are taken down. It’s EA’s fault not DICE’s.

Comment posted on 12/05/2012 at 19:49.
  5. Sympo

I never really bother with onlione shooters. I’ve only been arsed to be active with Warhawk and Uncharted 2 but this is bad.. renting servers, really? does that mean I have to pay for it or does someone just put it up then its available for anyone?

Well.. I am thoughtless, its a weird thing to me.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:44.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Whoever rents it does what they want, either has it open or for friends… whatever. They tend to be extremely ban-happy though.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:50.
    • Sympo

Wow thats bad

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 01:13.
  6. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

I have noticed this, and I’m pretty fucking annoyed by it. It’ll seriously be my last BF game, despite how much I love the series, if they don’t fix it soon: abusive admins often kick me as I kill them often and the situation needs to be remedied.

Comment posted on 10/05/2012 at 23:58.
    • HoboCastro
      Since: Mar 2010

This is why I left BF2. Got ridiculous. And you can’t report it to anyone. It’ll be a sorry state if everyone can only play with other they know. BF2 was basically clan matches against other clans to get games.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 00:13.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

The actually kick you for beating them? How childish!

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 07:14.
      • Forrest_01

Oh yes, we had one game where anyone with a TSA tag got kicked (due to killing the admin or members of the admins team too many times) & those that remained with a high score got moved onto their team just before the end of the match so they could win.

Some are really quite ridiculous.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 09:16.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

OMG, it’s a wonder people still play the game! That’s a bit like the hacking was on MW2, do these admins/hackers not realise they won’t have anyone to play against if they keep doing it. And admin activity reports should be looked at if they are only kicking certain people. I’ll stop playing online games if paying for servers becomes the norm.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 09:22.
  7. Mundham
    Since: Feb 2011

Ok, that’s basically ensured my copy of BF3 gets traded in toward Starhawk.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 01:04.
  8. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

that is bang out of order.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 01:54.
  9. jikomanzoku
    Since: Jan 2010

Well if true this marks a new low…

Makes an absolute nonsense of the whole online pass thing too.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 03:55.
  10. TROPtastic
    Since: Mar 2011

What the hell. Seriously EA? Damn, and I honestly thought you couldn’t sink any lower. Freaking idiots.

Comment posted on 11/05/2012 at 04:03.