Australian & New Zealand D3 Players Suffer High Ping Rates

Single Player Unplayable

You have to feel sorry for the gamers of Australia & New Zealand, especially Australia where some games, like Mortal Kombat, get banned due to a flawed ratings system. It seems the woes of those Down Under just keep getting worse, this time the culprit is Blizzard’s Diablo III.

On the official Diablo III forums Australian and New Zealand based players have complained of latency (ping) rates of over 1000ms, making Diablo III basically unplayable in some cases. Not just the multiplayer of Diablo III but all of it, including the single player portion. This has caused some outrage with some players wanting local servers to address the high ping issues, while others are calling for the implementation for the single player to be available offline.

Source: Diablo III Forum

1. Scotty34
    Since: Apr 2011

I just tried logging in (UK) and it says all battle.net servers are off line. So pure failure from blizzard really. I get that their trying to fix problems asap, but damn its back to work tomorrow! :(

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 15:18.
    • AG2297
      Community Manager

Yep, down in Europe for “maintenance”. On a Sunday, mid-afternoon?! Fail.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 15:23.
      • Burgess_101

Im probably the only one glad that it is down as I have some science revision to do! :P

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 16:09.
  2. AG2297
    Community Manager

I’ve loved the 30 or so minutes that i’ve played (from a guest pass) and it’s looking like it could easily be in the top 3 games I’ve played this year just from that short bit, but the server problems are ridiculous. If you’re going to make a game that requires you to be connected to your servers at all times then you need to make those servers reliable. It’s appaling to have down time like they are having now in Europe at the worst time where not even the singleplayer can be played.

Sort it out Blizzard.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 15:25.
    • Deathbrin

I wonder how come they own World of Warcraft… and can’t manage this?

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:44.
    • Nickboss1
      Since: Mar 2010

i completely agree and find this whole DRM crap a total joke! if ps4 or xbox720 go down this road i’ll be buying a wiiU.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 19:46.
      • Sympo

They won’t.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 21:04.
      • hazelam

won’t they?

capcom already have games on the ps3 with always on drm.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 08:59.
  3. Blayney
    Since: Sep 2009

Simple solution is to make single player offline.

How simple that is to implement I have no idea though. Even if it just needs an online verification at the start it would improve things.

Having said that being a casual player I have managed to avoid most of the issues (logging in only took 10 minutes and a few attempts on release day, and since then have only had this afternoons down time to stop me, 11 and a half hours of play)

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 15:58.
    • Deathbrin

You’ve spent 10 bloody minutes just logging in?

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:45.
    • Gamoc

They’ve coded the game so it can not be played without being connected to a server, so it’d actually be very difficult to implement. That’s why it hasn’t been cracked yet.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:48.
  4. Jag

I have Diablo 3 but the “single player lag” is terrible, they should have had a purely single player offline option from the beginning, even if it’s hidden and not the default option.
    I’ve been playing the Torchlight 2 beta this weekend instead and it’s much more stable! And it’s in beta!
    Looking forward to that more now than ever.
    That doesn’t mean I don’t want to play Diablo 3 too as I’m a huge fan and when online works its great but I like solo play too.
    It’s so frustrating that it feels broken half the time :S

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 16:17.
    • Gamoc

Comparing Torchlight 2 beta to Diablo 3 is not really applicable. The Diablo 3 beta worked just fine, too, remember.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:49.
  5. yogdog
    Since: Feb 2010

Until there’s a non always on DRM version, they can stuff off in they think I’m buying it.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 16:50.
    • Deathbrin

Why would you get it in the first place? Not like it’s a must-have title or anything.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:44.
      • Gamoc

Biggest PC release of the year, dude.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:49.
      • Deathbrin

And… so? Go with the hype?

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:52.
      • Gamoc

The hype is a result of it being so big, not the other way around. It’s a long-awaited sequel to a more-than-a-decade old purely PC franchise that defined a genre from one of the best known PC developers out there.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:56.
      • Burgess_101

Not only that its a great game in its own right.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 20:59.
      • KeRaSh

Considering it’s been in development for such a long time I kind of feel let down. The customizationoptions are just not there (everyone looks the same), the character classes are simple variations of the D2 classes and overall I get the feeling I’m playing an HD remake of D2 with new areas…
        I really don’t see what the fuzz is all about.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 08:28.
    • Nickboss1
      Since: Mar 2010

i’m with you yogdog.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 19:49.
  6. Gamoc

It’s pretty silly that servers are struggling even now, but I’m happy to forgive. It’s difficult to predict the kind of server requirements and it was always going to collapse on day one.

Plus the game is brilliance incarnate.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 18:51.
    • Klart
      Since: Jun 2010

No, this is unforgivable and people will remember. If you make the single player (the single! player) dependant on your servers working, than you’d better make sure it works flawless.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 21:41.
      • Gamoc

It would have been stupid of them to do so.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 22:52.
      • Nickboss1
        Since: Mar 2010

i’m with you Klart.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 23:01.
  7. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

More reasons to hate Activision Blizzard. They suck as a whole. No single player without a internet connection, pfft

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 19:32.
    • Cutter.T

But then again unlike EA their console games don’t have online passes…

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 23:07.
      • DJ Judas
        Epic

Yet…..

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 23:21.
  8. YOURMUMANDME
    Since: Oct 2008

I’m awesomely peeved at how Blizzard have treated Diablo III and it’s users.

First of all they clearly didn’t have enough dedicated servers at launch.
    Secondly they seem to have the bloody access up and down like a f**king yo-yo.
    Third most, as a whole, what the f**k are they playing at with online access only???? I mean, I knew it was online only, have done for ages. Now that I have (haven’t) access to the full game I’m infuriated constantly with either lag or log in issues.

Even more than all of that combined , what pisses me off most is the fact that I was automatically assigned to The Americas as a region. I clocked up more than 20 hrs of game play and when I try to add friends bugger all happens. “Oh, why is that?” …. It’s because cross region play is blocked! Forcing me to switch regions, but wait….”Error 12 – there is no license attached to this account” ….ehhh, yes there is! Then I have to trawl the net for a solution and find out that I have to fanny about with my password settings on Battle.net to allow myself access again.
    Now here’s the best bit!!
    Once I log in to the European servers I find out that my character is wiped along with said 20 hours gameplay, all because I can’t f**king save my character files locally!
    R/O

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 19:39.
    • Sympo

Ridiculous, would hate the same thing to happen on Simcity 5. I think consumers should rise up to this or even be aware so that they know not to buy it.

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 20:00.
  9. YOURMUMANDME
    Since: Oct 2008

Wow, I really needed to get that off my chest…. apologies :D

Comment posted on 20/05/2012 at 19:40.
  10. Nickboss1