You

WeView: inFamous 2

Did it shock you?

Yesterday, via the handy medium of Twitter, several people suggested that, in light of the newly improved offerings on PlayStation Plus, it makes sense to take a look at some of those games. Obviously this started last week when we looked at Darksiders, and I see no reason not to continue it. Therefore, this week’s game is the rather interesting inFamous 2, one of the games that’s available for the rest of the year.

This was the game I was most excited about when Sony announced the updates to PlayStation Plus during their E3 Conference, and the one that will (at some point) tip me over into getting a subscription to Sony’s service. I don’t know what it is that appeals to me about Cole McGrath’s adventures so much, although the Prototype series has a similar draw. Maybe it’s the pretty obvious comic book overtones that both series’ take, or maybe it’s just the ability to do something more than drive a car around an open world.

Sadly though I’ve yet to experience the inFamous series beyond the demo of the sequel they were showing at EGX in 2010. That will all change when I can afford a Plus subscription, but for now I’ll have to turn to Peter for a view on Cole’s second outing.

In his review of the game he picked out the writing as being worthy of praise, in particular he felt supporting cast were much more rounded than in the first game. He was also fond of the user generated content system, saying that it had “almost unlimited potential”. On the negative side of things he did find a few glitches in the game, and wasn’t particularly impressed by the way it controlled when trying to climb ladders or posts.

Overall he was relatively impressed though, awarding the game an 8/10. If you’re more a fan of his fancy words than his ability to assign numbers to things, here’s an extract from the review:

inFamous 2 takes the flawed brilliance of its predecessor and improves upon almost every aspect. Missions are slightly more varied and characters are much more rounded. It breeds empathy and it encourages experimentation in the ways supporting characters play off the protagonist and each other. You will feel like a superhero – or villain – by the time you have built your powers back up and some of the new abilities you evolve make exploration and combat all the more enjoyable. Add to all that the excellent and intuitive user generated content and you’ll see that what Sucker Punch have delivered is rightly deserving of its place among the greats of PlayStation 3 exclusive gaming.

So with all of that said, it’s time to ask you what you thought of the game. Does electrocuting people thrill you, or did you find it dull? Did you enjoy the way Cole’s powers are mixed into the combat, or would you rather have just zapped people endlessly from afar?

No matter where you sit on the spectrum of feelings towards inFamous 2, it’s time to share your thoughts. If you feel like taking part you simply need to write your opinions into the handy comment box below. Once you’ve done that remember that you need to add a rating on the Buy It, Bargain Bin It, Rent It, Avoid It scale.

If you do feel like taking part the deadline is Sunday afternoon. Any later than that and your comment may miss out on inclusion in Monday’s verdict article.

Read more: # #
  1. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Game of the year for 2011, some of the most fun I’ve had in a while with videogames. Buy it!

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:04.
  2. Origami Killer

Still downloading, nearly taken me two weeks now.

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:08.
  3. posem

This was a ‘day1 insta-purchase queue outside Gamestation and harass the staff cos I was the first at the counter at 9am’ job for me. My only upset is that the possibility of an inFamous 3 is very low, it’d be cool if you could create your own superhero and choose different powers/level up throughout the game, ect….

no doubt, BUY IT! BUY THIS GAME NOW!

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:11.
  4. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Loved it, it was less painful than the first one, dam you blast shards dam cost me a platinum

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:12.
  5. psychobudgie

Another reason to invest in PS+. If you haven’t played the first one, buy both if you have and haven’t played the sequel, um buy it and play it and wish you had bought it sooner.

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:13.
  6. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Aside from some floaty controls I found myself really enjoying Infamous2. Nice visuals, an interesting storyline and a decent use of the moral choice system. Hardly the best game ever but still thoroughly enjoyable. BUY IT

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:16.
  7. Bodachi
    Since: Jan 2010

inFamous 2 is one of my favourite open world games. There is just no better feeling then running round an open world with super powers. The inFamous games are some of the few games that I played through twice and while the first game didn’t offer much change between good and evil. I thought the difference between the good and evil endings was great. Fun game to play and excellent story. Most definitely a game that need to be played.

BUY IT.

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:16.
  8. Nylon_Angel
    Since: Jul 2010

I really enjoyed the first one, even though the way it handled did really annoy me, but I stuck with it mainly because I enjoyed it and loved the story.
    So when this came out I wanted it straight away and I wasn’t disappointed. It was easier to control and the story was just as good. I loved the way the powers were quite different between good and evil and the way he looks different.
    This is a great game and I would highly recommend buying it.
    Buy It

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:23.
  9. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

Not played it yet, but will do as I got it with PS+.
    Maybe we need another option – Subscribe to PS+ for it!

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:24.
  10. bunimomike

I’ll skip comments just in case as I’m playing through it for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one and the second one feels better again. The fact that Sucker Punch stated that Uncharted was the new benchmark and that they wanted their games to ooze the same quality is an admirable goal. inFamous 2 shows how far it’s come. Even in the demo, the frame rate, graphical detail and fidelity have increased hugely from the first outing.

Buy it, definitely. Better still… PS+ it! I did.

Comment posted on 19/06/2012 at 13:26.