Feature

Game of the Year 2012 - Overall Winner

The big one.

Game of the Year 2012

Our Overall Game of the Year 2012 is Mass Effect 3 from BioWare. The epic trilogy is one of this generation’s most compelling narrative arcs and this third instalment seemingly got the mix of dialogue, planning and action just right to make it a big hit with our staff.

Mass Effect 3 brought a thrilling conclusion to the many hours of gameplay that had led up to it. Although there was some discussion around how that final moment played out in the game – and whether that was a fitting conclusion to the story leading up to it – Mass Effect 3 did enough before that moment to leave an indelible mark on the hearts of millions of fans. Mass Effect 3’s early release date may have led to some writing off its chances but it has been a strong favourite with many of our staff for much of the year thanks, in part, to the engaging multiplayer mode it added to the series.

There was stiff competition for this grand prize, with Journey and The Walking Dead finishing strongly and Far Cry 3 still fresh in the memories of many. Perhaps the most exciting thing to note about the list of games we voted on is the diversity on show. From big-budget epics and billion-earning-blockbusters right down to tiny indie projects and niche titles, the gaming landscape in 2012 was packed with quality.

Here’s the chart to show our top five.
Game of the Year 2012

And here’s the table showing all the games which received at least one vote from us.

1. Mass Effect 3
  16. Diablo III
  17. Max Payne 3
  18. Dishonored
  19. Sound Shapes
  20. Borderlands 2
  21. New Star Soccer
  22. Rayman: Origins (Vita)
  23. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
  24. UFC Undisputed 3
  1. Alex C
    One for all.

What a great year for digital downloads, with Journey, Walking Dead, TUS, Velocity…

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 17:08.
    • Ben
      Friendly
      Since: Mar 2009

Indeed, 2013 looks set to be a great year for new IPs.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 17:23.
  2. wonkey-willy
    Since: Jan 2010

The epic trilogy???
    wasn’t it only two games on ps3?
    admit it was better on Xbox because your character followed on from 2 to 3..
    sadly i didn’t enjoy the third in the series for me it was a game that couldn’t make up its mind what genre it wanted to be in.
    very diverse list of titles in the list

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 17:24.
    • MadJunkBoy
      Since: Aug 2010

TSA is not PS3 only u know…
      and even if u have played the first game on the 360 and then the other games on the PS3 u have still played the entire trilogy! =)

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:05.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

All three are on PS3 now

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 20:14.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

got all 3 on PS3.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 20:31.
  3. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

I didn’t expect that…

I never really gave ME2 on PS3 much of a chance.

Bought ME1 and ME2 on Steam though, might be better on PC.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 17:26.
    • MadBoJangles

Played 1 on 360, 2 on PS3 and then about a third of 3 on PS3.
      Got distracted by other games, but a mate of mine swears they are a million times better on pc, so may have to have a nosey at the Steam store later :P

Comment posted on 02/01/2013 at 07:34.
  4. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Wow, didn’t expect that. In fact, I think Mass Effect’s crap! Not sure what I’d go for though, either Journey, TWD or Motorstorm RC.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 17:49.
    • Sympozium

Same, I continue to wonder… like its my kinda game but it never clicked for me.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 22:20.
  5. Jim Hargreaves

A great year for downloadable games indeed.; some absolute belters up there, a lot of which are also for the PlayStation Vita.

Regarding Mass Effect 3, to this day I’m still torn. Mechanically it’s the strongest and best-looking of the trilogy but I can’t get over that shoddy excuse of an ending that still leaves me feeling alienated.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:12.
  6. Adam Garrett
    Community Manager

My personal GoTY is Far Cry 3 so i’m happy to see it in a respectable 4th, considering the competition.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:13.
  7. psychobudgie

Wow. Borderlands 2 at 20. Wow, just wow. Top 5 game for me along with Dishonoured. Kudos for giving ME3 some love though. Every other major journo seems to have forgotten it.

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:31.
  8. Tarak Ford
    Since: Aug 2012

2012 was a blast, Mass Effect 3 is a deserving winner in my book.

Now roll on 2013, it’s going to be even better I can just feel it!

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:48.
  9. Blayney
    Since: Sep 2009

I intend to pick up Far Cry 3 soon so that may take the biscuit. So far though WRC3 is my GotY. It’s the Colin McRae game I’ve always wanted…

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 18:49.
  10. damoxuk
    Since: May 2011

Well deserved imo. Superb game and currently just started playing ME1 on ps3.

Although personally Xcom is my top 1, I would never expect it to be top as it’s not as mainstream.

But my 2nd best game of 2012 will do :D

Comment posted on 01/01/2013 at 19:06.
    • RedStarGlow

I would love to love Xcom but it keeps locking up on me. Can’t get through the 4th mission.

Comment posted on 03/01/2013 at 05:55.