Rumour: PS4 Won't Launch In Europe Until 2014

But everyone else will get the machine this year.

Edge Online, in a curiously titled article, are claiming that the PlayStation 4 – set to be at least mentioned in passing on the 20th – won’t make it out in Europe until 2014.

“We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution,” says the site, which is hugely disappointing to hear.

That said, this information goes against the grain of everything we’ve heard so far, but it’s not entirely out of the question. We won’t know until we get to the PlayStation Meeting, however, and perhaps not even until E3 months later.

The magazine also re-iterates other recent rumours, including a new controller, enhanced Move sticks and a better, dual camera array in place of the old PlayStation Eye. Hopefully all this will be put to bed within the month, and we can all just look forward to some games.

Edge also claim that Sony are aiming for 8GB in the PS4, to match rumours that Xbox 720 will also feature the rather bumper amounts of RAM.

Sony kicked off their teaser campaign at around 11pm last night.

1. manky_

Will be gutted if we have to wait (again).

Surely if they can be rolled off the production line, SCEE can get them distributed around Europe in time f….. ah yes, I see the problem now.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:35.
    • TrialByFire
      Banned
      Since: Nov 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 19:49.
  2. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Would be pretty disappointed if we have to wait if I’m honest but then it might make my bank balance look healthier.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:39.
  3. Fruitbat1919
    Since: Feb 2013

I don’t mind waiting if they make a big deal between the Vita and the PS4 on the 20th…..please Sony make them both work well together and then take your time to get it right….no rush……I will wait…..like I have a choice lol

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:42.
  4. SH Number 7/Mini-Lipscombe
    Since: May 2011

Why can’t they just start the distribution for Europe earlier? I understand they have to make the consoles but wouldn’t it be better to get them out with low stock rather than leaving it.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:44.
    • cam the man

No manufacturer wants to launch a product with low stock as the headlines in the press are usually on the lines of – PS4 only sells 20k at launch – giving the impression it’s not very good.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:29.
    • avengerrr
      Since: Oct 2012

It may be because Japan is one country and America a united state. With EU there is many more particulars as Europe is not united absolutely in every policy.

It may just be January/February release, any later and they’re pushing it imo.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:30.
      • hazelam

yeah, but that excuse is moot when other companies launch the same kind of product in a timely matter throughout europe.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:38.
      • avengerrr
        Since: Oct 2012

I’d hardly call it an excuse, one can’t get past policy and regulation and if Sony are pushing themselves to get the console out as soon as, then America and Japan could be the two easiest.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 17:28.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

Sony tried to do a worldwide launch with Vita (I think it was Tretton who said there were production problems caused by the tsunami in Japan), I think (hope?) that they’ll try the same with PS4.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 19:34.
      • Dazbobaby
        Since: Aug 2010

The only reason Sony want to launch in America first is because they want to conquer that market before Microsoft do.
        The PS3 is still way behind in America.

Comment posted on 02/02/2013 at 13:17.
  5. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I don’t mind waiting until spring next year, but I do mind waiting months for something already out elsewhere.

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:44.
  6. Fruitbat1919
    Since: Feb 2013

I don’t mind as long as Sony send me some chocolate truffles!!!

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 15:46.
  7. KeRaSh

I really hope that’s not the case…

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:07.
  8. Foxhound_Solid
    Is a smart cookie.

I don’t care. Day one for me being a Brit. But that’s cool as the ps3 has so much to give between now and then. If its earlier awesome :-). Remember it’s not whether the glass is half full/empty – fact is there’s something in the glass, PS4 will be absolutely epic. I just know it :-)

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:15.
    • Motalla
      Since: Dec 2011

The glass is full; half liquid and half gas.

Comment posted on 02/02/2013 at 07:53.
  9. Bilbo_bobbins

THis would be very disappointing if true. If the xbox is out in the UK before Christmas, they could possibly lose more customers…..AGAIN

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:16.
  10. bmg_123
    Since: Feb 2012

Eh…means I get more time to save up and get most of my A-levels out of the way, so I’m not that bothered!

Comment posted on 01/02/2013 at 16:23.