Feature

What We Played #94: Killzone 3, Just Cause 2 and Ni No Kuni

The one about liberation, integration and rehabilitation.

What We Played

I’ll skip quickly over my usual space marine gaming, except to tell you the one thing about Aliens: Colonial Marines that I think’s a terrible omission that harms the game: in co-op, if a fellow player is using the motion tracker you can see them holding it but you cannot hear it.

That’s just stupid. We know from the film everyone nearby can hear it, and it’s a spectacularly missed opportunity to be able to ratchet up the tension in-game. Instead of that audible, panic-inducing sound you have to rely on conversation to convey whether there’s anything near by. “Here comes another one” just doesn’t work.

Anyway, that’s not something that’s troubling Tuffcub as he’s still busy playing Need For Speed: Most Wanted on his PS Vita, at least when he’s not playing the newly discovered, thanks to PlayStation Plus, Lumines on it. Oh, and he’s also returned to Killzone 3 after a reasonable absence and is apparently still quite good at it.

Kris is also worshipping at the feet of the ever-stronger PlayStation Plus:

I’ve been playing Just Cause 2 via the marvellous PlayStation Plus. PS+ really is great isn’t it? Anyway it’s awesome! I mean I played the demo ages ago, and it was pretty good, but the full game is nuts! I hijacked a helicopter, flew to a nightclub aboard a ship held aloft by a blimp, took over the nightclub, hijacked a jet waiting on the floating nightclub, jumped out of the jet just before I accidentally crashed it into a mountain and parachuted to the ground.

I’ll be in trouble if the seemingly infinite parachute supply ever dries up though.

Also the completely streaming world is hugely impressive, just ridiculously so. Flying from one area of the island with relatively detailed scenery below you the whole time before you parachute to a location (I do a lot of parachuting) at random is a massive technical achievement. Now I can’t wait for a potential Just Cause 3 on the next generation.

When I’ve not been playing Just Cause 2 my flatmate’s been playing Mercenaries 2 (we only [have] one PS3 between 3 of us) and it’s rubbish by comparison. Oh sure, you can grapple to stuff sometimes, but it doesn’t have the sheer mayhem of Just Cause.

Gaming at both ends of the enjoyment spectrum we find Dan. He’s started Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch this week and is “really enjoying it so far” with lantern-nosed “Drippy stealing the show”. That was the good. He’s also tried playing Metal Gear Rising and “really hated it”, finding himself tempted to send it back by the end of the first level.

He reckons that “maybe” he’ll persevere.

Apparently casting spells is the only thing Josh enjoys any more.
Josh has been testing his patience in some of Hitman: Absolution‘s longer levels as after a while he finds that he gets “bored and just try to take everyone out by force”. Unlike TC he says NfS:MW on his PS Vita is “a bit boring” and “completely lacking in character”. For the record, he doesn’t like Hot Pursuit either but playing co-op in LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7 on the PS3 gets a big thumbs up.

There was some good news for Aran as a recent patch has allowed him to reset the outposts in Far Cry 3 after completing the game so he’s been able to get back to murdering charity workers. The Android-hosted Beastie Bay, “a mix of Pokemon and a Sim game” which sees you building a camp as well as catching and fighting said beasties “is pretty addictive and since it’s free, definitely worth a download“.

Lastly this week we find Peter struggling to explain the facts of (Kratos’) life to his young nephews:

Not played much but I did watch my nephews playing quite a lot of PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. It really confused them because they loved the way it was like Smash Bros but didn’t like the way they only knew one of the characters. I spent the whole time telling them who people were. That gets a bit awkward when you’re trying to explain why Kratos is so angry and all red and white to a 9- and a 6-year-old…

I have played The Room on iOS, it’s a very smart puzzle game. Basically, you have a box which is covered in secret compartments and puzzles that you need to solve to unlock more of the mysterious notes left by the guy who designed it as he went a bit mad. It’s all very clever and works beautifully with the iPad’s touch interface.

Trying to unlock the secrets of a box sounds like a search for Arnold Rimmer’s favourite pro-alien committee. The Dwarfers out there will know the one I’m talking about.

Before the rest of you hit Google to look for an explanation let us know what you’ve been playing.

1. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

I’ve been playing some moe Ni No Kuni myself as well. Only one more item to alchemise for the Platinum. I’ll hopefully get that done this afternoon after the morning spent in the studio. Elsewhere I have been continuing on with Assassins Creed Liberation on Vita which I’m really enjoying and I’ve finished my first run through on Dead Space 3 and have started to level select now to mop up the collectables. I’ve thought about going back to Dirt Showdown to grind the last to levels on the MP but then decided I’d rather punch myself in the groin for the time being.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:08.
    • KeRaSh

Wow, only one more item! I’m only missing 9 myself and I plan on tackling them this Saturday. Hopefully I’m lucky farming the remaining materials.
      After that I just have 3 more stage 1 familiars to catch and evolve and then I’m off to the Solisseum… and then I have to find the 100 “hidden” treasures, which will probably be a cake walk.
      I need more time to play!

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:34.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

Good going matey, the 100 hidden treasures should be a nice final trophy for you as its just going round the world map casting seek fortune. On the note of last trophies, finally got the alchemist one so thats my Plat done and dusted. only took 93 hours *groan* fantastic bloody game though!

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:20.
      • KeRaSh

I hope it doesn’t take me 93 hours… I’m currently just before the 70 hour mark and I don’t plan on taking another 23 hours to finish the list. ^^

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:40.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

I hope you don’t either. to be fair, the last 4 hours of the game was spent trying to get 2 kaleidostones for the last recipe though

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:46.
    • SpikeyMikey23

gonna sink some hours into NI No Kuni later today. Only played the first hour so far, nodded off holding the joypad……. (i was knackered though!)

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 12:24.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

It takes a while to get going but it really is a charming game

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:29.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Platinumed sleeping dogs yesterday, my first 2013 plat, was chuffed to bits :D my next plat will be God of War:A then that’s it for this year lol.

Just bought dead space 3, anyone care to play co op, I must warn you I’m not good at playing games with others, I’m an only child. I have so many games to play, I don’t know where to begin yakuza dead souls, max Payne 3, borderlands 2, LA Noire, Ni No.

On the vita rocket birds & finally beat McProley on Blitz yep eat that son ha!

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:09.
    • McProley
      Since: Aug 2011

Haha! Yeah I saw that mate. Well done! I really want to start Sleeping Dogs but have such an epic back log and then there Tomb Raider and DI: Riptide coming out I just don’t know when I’ll get the chance. What was your oppinion of it?

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:14.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Lol thanks, it took so many tries till I figured out you can put explosions etc in those little circles. I love sleeping dogs, it has it’s own flaws like the cock fights & levelling up Triad to level 10, word of advice but cloth with 15% triad xp before advancing further if you do play it.

How you finding AC:L on vita, the MP just made me give up on the platinum tbh

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:21.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

I made that mistake Taylor. Level 9 on Triad so I have to go back and better my scores.

As for the cocks, I was moaning about that in the forums yesterday. Came to the conclusion that the cocks can be a pain in the arse but if you go for the black cock always, it will pay off.

I screwd up though on the keep an A-class car at top speed for 30 minutes. Bombed about on a A-class bike for ~20 minutes to realise the bikes don’t count.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:36.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

Ok, thanks for the tip. I;ve really enjoying Liberation. Suffers quite badly from pop up though. I’ve not tried the multiplayer yet but from what i’ve read it sounds really confusing. I’m not gonna touch it until ive got all the SP trophies anyway

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:32.
      • teflon
        Community Team

I feel like I now know a lot more about cocks.

Comment posted on 02/03/2013 at 14:43.
  3. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

Bought Binary Domain for 8 euro a few days ago. Mint condition, limited edition with downloadable content. The game is great so far. I’m now at chapter 4 and I really like it. The story is good so far, characters are strong and with some awesomely dubbed.
    Graphics kick ass. Music is good. Another great, but underrated game for me.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:14.
  4. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Sleeping Dogs. Almost at 100% completion and I’ll be done so good times.

Then onto GOW: Ghost of Sparta to mop that up.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:33.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

To level up quick with triads without having to replay missions if you got the game on plus, but shaolin DLC, this allows you to train with the monks at the temple, beat them till you 3 triangles then walk away & re do it till level 10. Depends how much level you have left at the end of the game, I had 9 & half triad when I finished. It’s 1.99 on psn.

No way the first class car was annoying & the one I had a problem with was finding a briefcase to beat up someone with then I found out you only have to use 5 items to get the trophy not 10

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:46.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

5 items? How come. I got that trophy but never really knew how. Just popped up. It’s the gun one that’s been causing me more problems.

I might buy the DLC if I struggle. I’m at about 75% of the way through the 9th level, and I know there are a couple of missions that I got only one triangle on so hopefully I can up that.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:49.
      • Taylor Made
        Since: Oct 2011

Dunno but I used less than the items I’m meant to use. With the guns go to the police station, most of the card have different type of guns besides a shotgun

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 11:35.
  5. mrfodder

The PS4 presentation got me back to playing Killzone 2. Wasn’t good enough with controller to complete first time round after moving over to PS3 from PC. Also, finishing up Asassin’s Creed Liberation. Good fun, but lacks splendar of fifteenth century Italy.

Love PS+, but it really is a giant backlog in the making.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 09:38.
    • matthangzhou
      Since: Sep 2010

Haha that made me play killzone 2 too! I was so close to finishing all the multiplayer ones.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 12:58.
  6. JohnnyBoy
    Since: Oct 2010

Sleeping Dogs, but not bothered with any of the side missions just doing the main missions and cases when required – I’ve got Crysis 3 waiting for me so want to get to end of the story. I’ve got into this much easier than GTA – it’s probably because the checkpoints on each mission save you restarting from scratch each time you screw up, which in my case is very often.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:08.
  7. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Platinumed DiRT Showdown…..multiplayer grind was very boring after a while though, particularly the lack of new tracks since DiRT 3.

Dead Space 3 co-op….loving this game, much better than I thought it would be.

I played a bit of Black Ops 2 since it was Double XP last weekend.

I have also played some more of the Bioshock Infinite pre-order Revolution web-based game, ready to unlock some stuff for when the game releases!

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:12.
    • McProley
      Since: Aug 2011

Congratulations again on the Showdown Plat mate. If i had a vagina, that game would definitely make it hurt!

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 14:33.
  8. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Not a whole lot for me this week really as I managed to pick up a stomach bug for two days of it and I’m still in the process of moving house (should be done by tomorrow, yay!).
    The times I did fire up some games however included getting a few more achievements on SSX (getting a bit bored now) and completing a few Most Wanted races on Need for Speed (again, bored now). Oh, I also downloaded Tomb Raider Legend for 2quid in the Xbox sale in preparation for TR(2013) next week.
    Finally I borrowed my brother’s spare PS3 and gave the new God of War demo a spin. Had forgotten how much I <3 that series, lol. By the sounds of things I'm getting a 12GB Slim console for my Birthday in June (bargain price of 150quid), so I will probably pick up Last of Us and God of War at the same time :-)

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:16.
  9. Dom El
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve been playing a new game of writing news pieces for thesixthaxis this week – which took up some actual gaming time – it was good fun though!

I did manage some more Darksiders 2, which is enjoyable if not amazing, the Monster Hunter Ultimate demo on Wii U and 3DS, and some Zen Pinball 2.

I also started Crimson Shroud on 3DS. It’s from Level 5, features inanimate characters, and is one of the best RPG’s I’ve played in a while – its all driven like a real Dungeons and Dragons game, including rolling dice on the touch screen – the music is great too! I heartily recommend it if you have a 3DS knocking about.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 10:44.
    • salvodaze
      Since: Dec 2012

Crimson Shroud sounds interesting, is it an eshop-only title?

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 20:35.
      • Dom El
        Since: Mar 2012

Yep, I think it was on a proper release in Japan with a few other games but they’ve all been released seperately over here on the eshop. A bargain at £7.19!

Comment posted on 02/03/2013 at 09:25.
      • salvodaze
        Since: Dec 2012

Nice price, will check it out some time. Thanks!

Comment posted on 02/03/2013 at 16:02.
  10. Origami Killer

I’ve been playing Aliens for the last week. It’s an awful game. Doesn’t do the franchise any good at all. No tension, poor lighting, clunky gameplay, graphically poor. The multiplayer I dislike as well. However, I’m somehow enjoying it. Because it’s so bad it makes the game challenging on hard – it’s something.

Comment posted on 01/03/2013 at 11:02.