Feature

What We Played #100: Guacamelee!, Just Cause 2, Okami HD

The one where Dan and Dom join us in the TSA bungalow.

What We Played

Ton up! It’s hard to believe that this is the 100th What We Played post. It would be nice to mark the centenary by being able to tell you that I’ve been playing some amazing games this past week but all I’ve got to report is my usual Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and a bit more Bioshock Infinite.

As it is the 100th WWP, and to be honest because I’m criminally short of time at this moment, for the second time in WWP’s history I’m going to let you read the actual submissions I’ve had from the team this week, including those from a couple making their WWP débuts.

First up though is the irrepressible Seagull-fancier Kris:

I played more Just Cause 2 because that game seems to be infinite. I feel like I could take a week off work to dedicate entirely to Just Cause 2 and still not finish the game. There’s just so many bases to take over! I haven’t even been to a city yet.

I’ve also been playing this weird flash platformer called Give Up, Robot. You have a grappling hook, much like Just Cause 2, and it makes for some fun platforming puzzles. It’s also got a weird “glitched” graphical style.

I’m not sure whether Alex wanted to submit something special for this week’s milestone or if he simply sent me the wrong email but what I received seems to begin like a children’s story before descending into something much more disturbing. See what you think:

George, although cute, was a lazy tiger. His stripey, orange and black exterior hid a wealth of ambition, but it was locked deeply away beneath his furry, outwardly vague skin.

As a result, afternoons would be a breeze to George: reclining whilst absorbing Countdown, or sipping on tea. Or both.

One day George needed to go to the bathroom, just as the Teatime Teaser appeared. He knew the answer – or at least thought he did – but his deliberation resulted in a tragically soaked sofa and a dry cleaning bill he couldn’t begin to imagine.

At forty-seven, George thought this was probably unacceptable.

He put down the tea, adjusted himself, and strode carefully to the toilet.

Odd, no?  Dan was the next to get his email in and it was a typically succinct and focused nugget:

Still plodding through Tomb Raider. Wasn’t so keen on it last week but I’ve warmed to the game massively. It also raises a big smile with how it deals with ‘secret’ tombs – “ALERT ALERT SECRET TOMB NEARBY DON’T TELL ANYONE!”

Tomb Raider

With Dan having successfully put us back on-topic here’s the first of this week’s two WWP noobs, our new news writer Dom!

This week I have mostly been playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and though I have both the 3DS version and the Wii U one I can’t for the life of me get them to communicate and send the save data between them. In actuality I think that’s meant that a good portion of playing time has been spent trying to understand what’s wrong with them.

Cue a 3DS sitting on a Wii U. Are they too close? Cue a 3DS in various locations from the kitchen to the bedroom. Is everything remotely electrical disrupting them? Cue turning off all the wifi and electrical devices in the vicinity. I found myself pressing refresh on the 3DS for approximately an hour at roughly 4am, too tired to give up, and guess what? IT STILL DOESN’T WORK! Not that I’ve become obsessed with it in any way…

Along with that I’ve also been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening for my very first TSA review. In short it’s amazing but horribly hard!

And now’s as good a time as any to introduce our second noob. You know him as OrigamiKiller, his Mum preferred the name Dan but as we’ve already got one of those for now I’m going to call him DanToo which has the advantage of sounding like a great place to abandon a rebel base.

Quite a bit of gaming from myself this week though. I’m coming close to finally completing Aliens: Colonial Marines. It’s so awful I’ve forced myself to play it this far. Really dreadful game.

Also played a little Civilization 5, using it as a hangover cure a few times! I just find it enjoyable raging war on everyone – North Korea would love me.

Finally I’m still making my way through Slender The Arrival. It’s not as a good as I had hoped. Hopefully both Blair and I can complete it soon and write a joint review type thing for it.

Peter has turned his laser-like focus upon a game featuring characters running around in colourful gimp masks:

This week I’ve basically only been playing Guacamelee! I played through once for the review, with about an hour of having it on my Vita but that meant switching the PSN accounts on it and that’s really annoying when everything else on Vita is on my normal (UK) PSN account. So I got the game again for my proper PSN account now I’ve finished writing the review – which should tell you how much I like it!

If you missed it earlier in the week his chat with Drinkbox’s Chris McQuinn is both entertaining and informative, and there’s no requirement to wear a Luchador mask while you read it – unless you’re into that sort of thing.

Guacamelee

With a game in his list that must fall into the should-have-known-better category is Tuffcub:

Mini Ninjas on Chrome. Killzone 3 and Need For Speed Most Wanted on Vita, obvs. Puddle.

Battleship. Yes, the game of the movie of the board game. I rented it as it’s set in Hawaii but I can safely say not a single member of the development team has ever visited the locations in the game. As you might expect from an Activision movie license, it’s not very good.

We’ll finish with a couple of the team who struggle with the “a few sentences” concept and always provide more lengthy missives. Here’s Aran:

This week I reached a milestone where I bought a Vita and a PS Plus subscription. I also, finally, finished Assassin’s Creed 3.

I feel AC3 didn’t really have a grand an ending I had hoped for. There’s so much build up in the pursuit of Lee, but it just ends. Really think there was potential for a major stand off. And also Haytham was definitely the best character of the game, representing a much more sensible approach to the Templars. I would love a whole game about him purely because he had more depth than anyone else.

On to my purchase of the Vita. Picked it up along with a 16GB memory card and got Uncharted: Golden Abyss for free. Then I found Gravity Rush and MGS HD Collection on Plus. So far I’ve only played Gravity Rush and Uncharted.

Golden Abyss is a very good game and it looks brilliant. I’m only on Chapter 4 but the gameplay is fantastic and is as good as its console counterparts. The Vita features are well incorporated and very easy to pick up.

However, Gravity Rush has to take the prize of best game I’ve currently played on the Vita. At first the controls feel fiddly but after a while everything just gels. The gravity switching element is very well done and the game world is great to explore while using powers. The story does jump about a bit but gameplay is fantastic. I think I’ll play more now actually.

Not content with sending me one lengthy email this week he even submitted an addendum:

I forgot to mention Okami HD! That game is stunning to look at and it’s very easy to get into. Being able to manipulate the world with a brush and ink is brilliant. The voice sounds are a tad annoying but not enough to detract from a good game.

Okami HD

And our last team member with a submission this week is Jim:

Having abandoned my flat and, more relevantly, my PlayStation 3, my week on the road was mainly spent with my PlayStation Vita.

Admittedly, since the Christmas break, I’ve neglected my handy little Sony handheld. However, with a stock of PS+ goodies to play and a few train/coach journeys to endure, my love was soon rekindled. Spearheading the Vita vanguard was Metal Gear Solid 2 HD. Despite being well ahead of its time in terms of mechanics and other nuances, the game’s bloated narrative proved bothersome when revisiting this classic after 5-6 years. After finally getting my head around one part of the story, it would either flip or change direction completely, leaving me profoundly confused even as the credits began to roll.

My Vita spree also allowed me to finish up Assassin’s Creed III Liberation. When I first played the game back in November I wasn’t all that impressed but since then I have put a good few hours into Assassin’s Creed III which has changed my view a fair bit. The plot may never take off in Liberation but its technical splendour and commitment to creating a fully-fleshed open world adventure is worthy of merit.

After being reunited with my PlayStation 3, I have found myself playing a title I thought I’d never return to. However, a bit of shopping around and a few impulse purchases later and I have myself a small collection of Skylanders and Giants in preparation for this year’s Swap Force. Sure, the gameplay is rudimentary and the concept behind the figures reeks of money-grabbing publishers but, at the right price, Skylanders offers quite a unique experience.

Regular readers will know that I’ve not been playing much lately.  That’s due to a chronic lack of free time which in turn is partly due to a recent change of job with the new one seeing me splitting my time between the UK and Germany.

With 100 consecutive weekly WWP posts under my belt, that’s every week since The Great PSN Outage Of 2011 for those who are counting, I think I deserve a few weeks off. Don’t worry, I intend to be back for WWP’s 3rd anniversary in a month or so.

Kris may even manage to persuade someone to fill in for me, though in that case let’s hope they don’t do such good a job that I’m not allowed back! In the meantime thanks for reading, especially those of you who take the time to comment every week. I do always read the comments each week even if I’m not around to reply while the post is fresh.

And with that, what have you played this week?

1. Motalla
    Since: Dec 2011

Got a PS vita this week and played quite a lot of Dead or alive 5 plus, and unlocked the “OMG” trophy :P

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:04.
  2. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

I didn’t really play anything this week aside from some Black Ops II yesterday, been quite busy with University!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:04.
  3. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

Wow, congrats on the WWP century Greg, nice work and always fun to read what others and the writers are playing!

I’ve mostly been playing AC3 Liberation. I completed the main story so just doing some collectables and side-missions in hope for the platinum. The game is great but suffers from loads of minor bugs – the sprinting is sometimes just a jog, the pick-pocketing and rowing touch-screen commands, NCP’s changing clothes/gender, Treasure Chest icons where there is no treaure, the targetting). Fortunately none are game breaking.

I completed Tomb Raider but have left the last few collectables for now.

I started Bioshock Infinite but I’ve not been drawn back to it yet. I guess the story will grab me eventually, and I do like that the shooting seems more solid and I’ve turned the enemy health-bars on so you can see what damage you’re inflicting.

I’ve also played some more Dead Space 3 with MJB, and “helped” McProley with collectables on the co-op missions, which he then realised he wasn’t missing!

I’ve played loads of New Star Soccer on iOS…won the FA and European Cups, but still can’t win the league, or get selected for the England Squad! :(

This week I also bought Black Ops Declassified and Guacamelee so hope to fire them up sometime over the weekend!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:15.
    • element666
      Since: Mar 2012

I had a game breaking bug on AC liberations mate. I think they’ve since patched it,but I would back up your saves just in case :-)

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:22.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I that sucks mate….yeah I backup whenever I finish playing, cheers! ;)

The annoying thing about the bugs I’ve found is that they are pretty minor, so it seems a bit lazy that they’ve not patched them – most probably due to the cost! During the cutscene after you hold the guards off for 1 minute, the umbrella gun was floating about 8 inches above Aveline’s hands, she wasn’t even holding it – and that happened a couple of times, lol!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:43.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

I just can’t get into AC L. I find it so boring and slow. I’m only at the bit where you first get to the forrested area, please say it speeds up and improves?

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:23.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

Hmmm,that’s a hard one,I personally enjoyed it,but I suppose thinking back it’s sort of a similar pace,but then I played it so long ago I couldn’t say for sure lol

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:29.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I think it’s pretty good and I like the bayou area. It’s not a long game, and the main story tails off pretty quick, but all in all I quite liked it!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:39.
  4. Eldave0
    andUandU

Another week of old-school gaming for me this week.
    Mega Bomberman and Castle of Illusion on the MegaDrive, Flashback and Mario3 on the SNES and BoulderDash on the original NES. Also have a GameCube evening arranged for tonight with the lads so plenty of Timesplitters 2, Smash Bros and Mario Kart will be on the cards :-)
    Oh, I also joined the 21st Century and bought my first ever item on eBay – a replacement Dreamcast after mine died this week! Console, 2 controllers and 4 games (including Soul Calibur!) for 18.50. Bargain :-D

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:19.
  5. kjkg
    Since: Apr 2010

Been playing Bioshock Infinite, but as discussed last week there is a bit in it where the difficulty ramps up and I just haven’t bothered to go back to it since then.

Also been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. What a game. Honestly one of the best titles I’ve played in a long time. The diverse approaches on offer on how to tackle each “section” are brilliant. The sneaking is actually well handled too.

Boss battle (i’ve only had one so far) was a bit cheap and far too easy to kill. EMP grenade then just throw landmines at him. 5 killed him and I never once hid in cover on the hardest difficulty. Not exactly a challenge.

Still, the game overall is brilliant.

Oh and also been playing Persona 4 Golden. Still fairly clueless as to what is going on but at least after ~2-3 hours I can actually control my character and fight who I want. Biggest “intro” to a game I’ve ever played I think.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:22.
  6. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I’ve cleared a bit of back log this week,and finally bagged the hitman absolution platinum and got the platinum for the amazing Spider-Man :-) I’ve also still been hammering ni no kuni and am currently on around the 45 hour mark,it’s just amazing.
    On my vita I have been playing the sublime guacamelee! What a brilliant game!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:25.
    • kjkg
      Since: Apr 2010

Is Spiderman good? I’m tempted by it but just can’t warrent myself to buy it. It’s the kind of title I could have got from Lovefilm but I cancelled that.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:37.
      • element666
        Since: Mar 2012

Yeah its cool,I had fun with it but I’m a big Spider-Man fan anyways. I picked it up cheap for £15 so well worth it at that price.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:39.
      • kjkg
        Since: Apr 2010

Yeh I am too. I think I just can’t justify buying it for the fact I have far too much in my catalogue anyway. But if I see it cheap or a pal picks it up, I’ll give it a bash.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:42.
  7. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Just far cry & guacemelee

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:27.
  8. quinkill
    Since: Oct 2010

Been playing Battlefield 3 and Guacamelee this week… love the Guac!

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:37.
  9. R1MJAW

From last weekend until Wednesday I pretty much only played Dishonored. Completed both a low and high chaos run through and collected most of the random combat related trophies. I was (semi) attempting a no kills/alerts run but it’s damn frustrating so I gave up.
    For the last few days I’ve been playing Guacamelee which is absolutely fantastic.
    There’s also been the usual sprinkle of meets.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:41.
    • R1MJAW

Update on Guacamelee, platinum obtained.

Comment posted on 13/04/2013 at 20:47.
  10. Germanos
    Since: May 2011

For me this weeks was covered by Uncharted 2 (currently getting all treasures, while playing on Hard) and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. About AC: I must say after completing all missions in Free Mission at Rank A, the game is very very good. It’s not as good as AC:Squadron Leader, but it has many strong points. I’m trying to get a plat in it and the last trophies for me are the mission co-op ones, so: if there is someone also in the need of those trophies or could help me out, I would be grateful.

Comment posted on 12/04/2013 at 11:57.