Blacklight Gearing Up For PS4 Launch

Sweet Retribution.

This year Sony has really upped the ante where indie games and free-to-play titles are concerned. During E3 and Gamescom 2013, the console giant paraded a wealth of titles coming to PlayStation 4, one of which is Zombie Studios’ Blacklight: Retribution.

For the uninitiated, Retribution is a follow-up to Blacklight: Tango Down, a downloadable shooter which launched on PSN/XBLA some years ago. In short, the game was met with a mixed reception despite floating some intuitive concepts.

The sequel, however, is much more well-rounded and, in my opinion, stands shoulder to shoulder with the biggest and best shooters currently making the rounds.

Gameplay-wise, it mimics the fast-paced action and all-round feel of the Call of Duty franchise. However, a suite of clever gameplay modes and massive array of customisation options sets it apart from the competition.

The best thing about Blacklight, especially for those hesitant on shelling out big bucks for a PS4, is that it’s completely free-to-play. Sure, like any title reliant on micro-transactions there are premium short-cuts and benefits scattered throughout though none of these offer an unfair advantage.

Retribution will be available next week when the PlayStation 4 launches in the States.

1. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Looks good & apparently it plays really well too.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 11:25.
  2. gybrocker

this game looks fun as hell.. only 17 more sleeps to go.. cant wait.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 12:04.
  3. TSBonyman

It’s difficult to see how Blacklight is going to compete with Killzone, BF4 and COD all releasing simultaneously on PS4 but i guess the free-to-play aspect means many will at least try it out.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 12:13.
    • cam the man

I wouldn’t even think of buying this if it was retail but as it’s F2P I will give it a try. If I enjoy it I don’t mind giving them a few of my pennies.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 13:35.
  4. NOSAJ19
    Since: Sep 2009

It is good to know that this will be launching with the PS4 as it seemed as though only a few days ago that the free to play games had disappeared from the PS4’s launch with some changes to the release scheduling, so it is great to see that they are almost on track other than Planetside 2.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 12:37.
  5. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

Well, I’ll definitely give it a go

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 12:38.
  6. Andrewww
    Since: Jan 2010

As I avoid COD anyway, I’ll give this a try… in case I can get hold of a PS4 without a preorder…
    Is that a lightsaber in there..? ;o)

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 13:24.
    • DividSmythe
      Since: May 2012

I’ve seen somewhere John Lewis don’t accept preorders but their going to carry stock do give them ago. I don’t need to say get in quick ;-)

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 13:34.
      • Andrewww
        Since: Jan 2010

Thanks for the tip, but as I live a little southeast of the UK, there’s no John Lewis around here… ;o)
        Will probably check out a couple of shops Thursday evening and Friday morning, as it seems Swiss shops legally have to keep some stuff for sale on the shopfloor besides preorders… Let’s see.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 15:20.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

Oops lol I didn’t know you was non-UK. Hope you get one anyway.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 15:28.
  7. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

It looks quite interesting. I’ll give it ago.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 13:38.
  8. Broonba
    Since: Mar 2009

I’ll definitely give this a go as I’m quite partial to an FPS Game…….I’m shit at them but enjoy them anyway.

^BTW^ My last visit to John Lewis set me back 15 quid for a mini USB Cable (PS3 Pad charging cable) so I wouldn’t be surprised to see them selling PS4’s for more than the RRP. :p

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 14:57.
  9. MrLeeches
    Since: Sep 2013

Just watched the trailer and I am impressed! Would be rude not to give it a go at launch.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 15:42.
  10. boeboe
    Since: Feb 2013

Next week is going to be tough. Journo’s and Americans getting their grubby hands on the PS4. Ugh.

I think these F2P’s are under huge pressure since on day 1 when people are giving it a go, first impressions are going to decide whether people play more than 1 game or delete it straight off the bat.

Comment posted on 10/11/2013 at 18:43.