Driveclub Video Highlights Visual Effects As June Release Date Surfaces

How fast do you wanna go?

Driveclub has come a long way. The version we saw, just weeks before the initial release date alongside the PS4, was a bit of a mess, with visuals not really managing to show off that next generation shine. It needed a delay, clearly, and now Evolution seem to know what they’re doing.

The video below describes all of the makings of the Driveclub brand, from typography to the colour palette, and then goes on to look at the visual effects used, such as depth of field, de-saturation and deliberate imperfections, with a soundtrack of that one song that seems to be included in every Driveclub video.

According to the Italian Official PlayStation Magazine, Driveclub will be available in June – or at least they have a feeling that this is when the game will surface, as that’s what a post on their Facebook page says: “We have a “feeling” that #DriveClub’s coming in June, but don’t tell that to anyone…”

We know that it’s not coming in February, and March is seeming less likely with inFamous: Second Son that month too, so summer could be likely and space out some of the PS4 exclusive releases – The Last of Us was hugely successful and released last June.

Source: YouTube/Facebook

1. CarBoyCam
    Since: Sep 2009

The longer this is delayed, the closer DiRT 4 gets. Yes, a new DiRT hasn’t been announced but it’ll be this year and probably May time, and hopefully on PS4. If it is, I know what racing game I’ll be playing over the summer…

I knew it’d be a push for a Christmas Driveclub release, but didn’t realise it’d be that much of a push.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:39.
    • MikLSP
      Since: Oct 2008

I think they’ll easily make it for Christmas (2014) ;-)

Comment posted on 23/01/2014 at 00:42.
  2. BrendanCalls
    Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Losing interest in DriveClub quicker than a prostitute drops her panties for £100. It’s not because, it looks bad, its looks really good but broken promises and delay’s have just sullied the whole thing for me.
    That’s probably a bit unfair because I know we’d all prefer a happy bug-free experience, released late, rather than a bug filled heap of crap rushed out too early, but its how I feel about it.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:42.
  3. Amphlett

June eh, which year?

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:49.
  4. Cron_13
    Since: Sep 2013

Cool video, the game looks very stylish.

June? wow, 7 month delay – still better than coming out and getting crap reviews, but the expectation when it finally does come out is going to be very high. Lot of pressure for the software developer – either it’ll be a success and people will say it was worth the wait… or they’ll get ripped to shreds!

Saying that, Watch Dogs STILL doesn’t have an official release date, so who knows, maybe that’ll end up being June too!

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:55.
    • camdaz

Expectations may well be why it’s a longer delay than most thought. I still think it’s going to be worth the wait.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 13:25.
      • Cron_13
        Since: Sep 2013

Yep I hope so cam :)

The good thing about this game is it’ll be on PLUS regardless, so try before you buy. I love racers though, so if I enjoy it on PLUS I can well see myself paying for the upgraded version of the game, or just buying the disc version.

They’ve clearly put a lot of effort into the “brand”. I like the look of the whole game. My only concern was the “floaty” nature of the handling but i think that was from pretty early gameplay footage.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 13:40.
  5. TSBonyman

June is a helluva delay after the initial launch postponement, i guess i’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:57.
  6. Amphlett

With all these delays Drive Club is following in Gran Tourismo’s well trodden path.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 12:59.
  7. Temascos
    Since: Jan 2013

Great to hear that Evolution will get some time in the limelight, during the quieter time of the year in terms of games. I remember Motorstorm Apocalypse’s release being damaged by so many things, other racing games, horrific disasters and the psn outage. If they are not only able to get an amazing racing game into people’s hands, the delay won’t matter once its out.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 13:04.
  8. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

As far as I can tell from that video, it’s looking great. It’s just ashame that by the time this gets released cars will probably be a thing of the past and we’ll be riding around in hovercraft type vehicles.
    Oh well, at least it gives me 4 or 5 months to get my driving playlist sorted out. & hopefully that playlist will be on my PS4 as it should be able to stream MP3s by then.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 13:51.
    • three_leg_jake
      Since: Aug 2011

Yeah MP3s will be coming just after the ability to edit and copy off saved game videos…which is the week after BF4 gets fixed (oooops, it always comes back to BF4, doesn’t it!) ;-)

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 15:27.
      • double-o-dave
        Since: Nov 2008

Good point. I better get on Battlelog and sort my load out before I leave work or I’ll have to do it on my mobile in the pub whilst I get a beer and burger on the way home ready for battle.

Comment posted on 22/01/2014 at 15:52.
  9. Hobbes130

My interest is waning too. A Gran Turismo 7 announcement is probably not that far off, if not expected…

The PS4 is lacking a sim style racer and this would have bridged the gap nicely to GT7.

Saying that, Gran Turismo is legendary for release delays, so there’s probably still plenty of time for Drive Club.

Comment posted on 23/01/2014 at 10:20.