Crackdown 3 Delayed Again Until Spring 2018

I bet Terry Crews is angry

When will Microsoft eventually release Crackdown 3? It was looking like it had to be this year at E3, and they even put a release date of 7th November on the game, alongside the Xbox One X, but now it’s been pushed back until spring 2018, with the company telling Polygon that is needs more time.

Shannon Loftis, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager said to Polygon, “We’re very excited about Crackdown 3, and so are many fans, and so it’s a difficult call to move the release date. However, we want to make sure to deliver the right game, with the right quality, and at the right time. Crackdown 3 is a hugely ambitious game and we want to ensure we deliver the right experiences all the way through every part of the game, whether that’s campaign, co-op multiplayer or our competitive multiplayer mode, Wrecking Zone. Getting the balance right between the three modes is important, and we are going to take the extra development time to ensure that. Gamers can expect Crackdown 3 in Spring of 2018.

It feels like an age since the game was first announced, as it appeared for the first time at E3 2014, setting out its ambitious goal of using cloud computing to allow for a fully destructible city, which it eventually transpired will only be used for multiplayer. It then disappeared from view, getting pushed back to 2017, only to eventually resurface at E3 this year and was set to be one of the few marquee exclusives Microsoft had announced for the next year.

Its delay comes in the wake of the release of Agents of Mayhem, a game that has a striking similarity to Crackdown 3 and which has received less than enthusiastic reviews from a number of places, including ourselves. Could it be that the indifference to that game pushed Microsoft to ensure that Crackdown 3 is as good as it can possibly be before launch?

Either way, I bet this image illustrates how Terry Crews is receiving the news:

Source: Polygon

1. JR.
    Since: Apr 2013

Yikes, what a disaster. It’s a good job they have that other system seller lined up… Super Lucky’s Tale. I know it looks like an upscaled 3DS game but it’s definitely worth spending £450 to experience the game in true 4K.

I guess all of those Game employees who were asked to work late for the midnight launch of the XB1X will be relieved. They’ll be able to close up and go home at five-past twelve.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 01:43.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

You’re comments are a bit of a disaster in and of themselves. Shame you can’t take what you give out, your comments might come across a bit more colourful otherwise.

Still, you hold a grudge well. I’ll give you that.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 10:11.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

Ah man, it sounds like i missed something interesting. By interesting, i mean, fanboy crap and just curious to see what was said.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:34.
      • JR.
        Since: Apr 2013

Oh Avenger, it’s only a bit of light-hearted fun. When did everyone start taking EVERYTHING so seriously? Besides, you’re always first in line to criticise Sony when they make disastrous decisions like this (not to impugn Starman’s contributions to the Xbox Defence League here at TSA in any way). We’re talking about game’s consoles, not religion or politics (ugh), so let’s try and take it down a notch or two, yaa? <3

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:38.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

Well said Avenger. JR simply loves dissing Xbox at any opportunity but goes all defensive if anyone says something against his beloved Sony. I wish TSA used the disqus commenting system so I could hide his comments.

PS this apparent member of the Xbox defence force bought a PS4 last week!

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:47.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

I bet he lives on Mountain fecking Dew and Doritios like the poopy head that he is and secretly worships the demonic god, Satin.Lord of all satin based clothing. Wait, didn’t JR accuse TSA of being baised on any non-ass kissing of PS(most articles) articles and go out of his way to grab some obscure thing to try to prove a point or criticise Xbox when it had nothing to do with it?

JR should be sentenced to death via Snoo Snoo or forced to play Ride to Retribution or worse, forced to drink cold tea forever.

….

I may have gotten a bit carried away and ruined the fun.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:51.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

Ah, but that’s my point. It’d be light hearted fun if you could take a bit of light hearted fun yourself, but you can’t. You go all super serious and argumentative if anyone makes a light hearted (or shall we be honest and say sarcastic) comment against Sony.

But yeah, let’s take it down a notch and you can quit getting serious next time I have a bit of light hearted fun.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 12:35.
      • JR.
        Since: Apr 2013

Well you guys, I am hurt. There I was thinking we were all friends having a laugh. Now I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away losing my Wilson(s). Cue sad music and trembling lip.

Starman, it’s the Xbox Defence LEAGUE, not Force. I have to say, if I was Avenger, I’d be seriously questioning your commitment to the league when you openly admit to purchasing a demon-station 4. This goes completely against rule number six of the league. AND you don’t even know your own name (rule number one… ‘know thy name’)- worst Xbox Defence League member everrr! Don’t be thinking you’re welcome here in the Sony Defence League either, just because you bought a PS4.

The Lone Steven, please stop stalking me. Don’t think I didn’t see you last night, peeking through the window of my Mom’s basement. And FYI, they were Cheeto’s not Dorito’s so you need to check yourself into a Specsavers because I’ll be damned if I’m washing these Y-fronts for you again, when you can’t even see them or appreciate the effort I make to look nice for my stalkers.

xoxo

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 12:39.
      • MOVE
        Since: Mar 2010

However, it must be a problem for Microsoft when there xbox one x debuting flagship wont be ther from the start to sell it.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 12:42.
  2. Jim Hargreaves

Good. Want Crackdown 3 to do well but from what we saw at E3, it needs work.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 08:10.
  3. Avenger
    Since: Oct 2012

Disappointed, but glad they took the tough decision and played safe. All the games in the past which have released broken or unfinished and ended in disaster.

I’m not sure agents of mayhem has got anything to do with it, can’t radically change the game in 6 months.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 10:02.
  4. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Odds on this getting cancelled must be good.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:48.
    • TrumpyMx
      Since: Nov 2016

It’s already served its purpose. It was cited as a defence that Xbox one has no decent games..

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 22:15.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

Not really. Of course Xbox has plenty of decent games, only an idiotic fanboy would deny such a thing.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 13:08.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

In your opinion, Trumpy. X1 isn’t known for having awful games and no decent ones. There’s been a fair amount and a few upcoming ones look fantastic. Sea of Theives looks like to be a fun MP focused game. But continue bashing X1 on every single article or accusing TSA of being part of some conspiracy to destroy all the developers who work for PS4 or being part of some agenda against Sony because *Gasp* The site branched out over the past 5 years and *Gasp* is covering all formats.

Just stop being a fanboy or just stop posting the same crap about X1 being crap, PS4 superior or TSA is biased or stuff etc..

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 15:46.
  5. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Why does it need the cloud? Red Faction Gurilla did full destruction(admittly, i think they chose not to allow the ground as a destructible thing due to the high risk of players getting themselves in a bit of a pickle) and for MP only? Feck that. Do it for Single Player! Though, I will admit, I would still complain if it did use Cloud as well, I hate the idea of having to be connected to play a fecking single player game.

That said, it is good to see a game being delayed because it’s not ready instead of doing the common thing of releasing, patchomania.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 11:59.
    • Avenger
      Since: Oct 2012

To be honest, I haven’t seen that much physics-based destruction this generation, despite some pretty cool demos when tbe consoles were originally showcased. Havoc physics engine was shown, and yet I don’t really see any ultra impressive demonstrations of it in games.

As you say, Red Faction from last gen, and I’d say BF4 was pretty good for destruction, although a whole city couldn’t be glassed in either game.

Even in racing games the destruction can be meh. Rarely see a car truly trashed like it used to be in GRID or the like.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 12:14.
      • Avenger
        Since: Oct 2012

I guess my point is, we haven’t seen much in raw destruction physics considering this generation we have a bit more processing power, albeit clocked a bit lower.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 12:17.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

It’s baffling that the PS3 with it’s piss poor ram managed to have no issues with RFG and yet, the more powerful PS4 can’t. Or it seems that way. GTA kinda has full destruction for cars but it would be nice to see 100% destruction in a single player game and the engine used for Red Faction must be with whoever bought the franchise. Heck,there’s little to no excuse because of the similiar specs for an average PC that the consoles have. It’s just odd.

Comment posted on 18/08/2017 at 15:49.
  6. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Jumping Crocodiles Charlie!

I just watched a comparison video between Crackdown 3 & Agents of Mayhem and they really do look bloody similar. If I saw the gameplay separately and I wasn’t aware of Agents of Mayhem, I’d assume it was the same game.

Comment posted on 17/08/2017 at 14:05.