Last week’s Tweak It clearly indicated that Xboxers are still in a minority around here. Either that or most of you think the Xbox 360’s NXE is brilliant and doesn’t need changing. Fortunately there were a number of you who did have some tweaks. Here are the edited highlights:
- Remove the adverts. Predictably this was the most popular suggestion given the 360’s more prominent advertising on the primary level of the NXE through the Spotlight and three Marketplace ‘channels’.
- Allow copying of music and video files to the 360’s HDD. Given the 360’s superior custom soundtracks option the ability to drop all or part of your existing music library on it sure would be useful. ~ Mason_Mk, FPS_Rockstar, OneShotWook
- Remember where you were when you switch ‘channels’. One of my pet hates. “If you accidentally press up or down and get to another row, which happens quite often with the 360 dpad, then you have to scroll over to the option you want again as it always resets to the far left option” ~ hazelam
This week we are asking you how you would tweak Polyphony Digital’s self-proclaimed “real driving simulator”, Gran Turismo 5. This isn’t the first time I’ve turned a critical eye on GT5. Last December, almost a month after launch, I contrasted what I perceived as being the good and bad about it, asking whether it was sublime or ridiculous.
Since then two of the five fixes I wanted have been made during the many updates the game has received. Those updates have brought many other changes such as adding Seasonal Events and improving the AI. There are always more improvements that could be made though. With three of my earlier ones still outstanding I am still going to add a couple more to kick off this week’s Tweak It discussion:
- An option to display corner names for real-world tracks all the time, not just when you are playing certain Special Events.
- An option to run the rendering engine, during races, in 720p mode, using the extra resources made available to improve shadow and alpha resolution and reduce the horrific screen-tear. Then scale it and slap the 1080p H.U.D. back on it. I think that would result in a better looking game and improve the experience.
In the eight months since the game’s release many of you should have been able to spend a good deal of quality time with it. How would you tweak Gran Turismo 5?