Our final NPD report for 2014 is in with December’s results, which means we not only get to see how everyone closed out the year but we also get to see how the calendar year as a whole wrapped up.
In December, both hardware and software pretty much parred the course, with hardware dropping just 4% from the launch window for the new consoles last year, and software down 2%. One interesting stat is that hardware bundled with software made up 71% of all hardware sales for the month, which means the bundles that Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony put out for their consoles were likely all a big success.
The Xbox One was again the best selling console in December – a feat they’ve managed for two months in a row now – and the cumulative sales for Xbox One and PS4 continue to trump that of their older brothers by a whopping 65% after 14 months.
On the monthly software side of things the top of the list looks pretty much the same as November, although Minecraft and Destiny managed to work their way back into the top ten, with Just Dance 2015 charting inside the top ten for the first time.
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Madden NFL 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3)
- Super Smash Bros. (NWU, 3DS)
- NBA 2K15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS4, PC)
- Minecraft (360, XBO, PS3, PS4)
- Far Cry 4 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
- Just Dance 2015 (Wii, 360, NWU, XBO, PS4, PS3)
- Destiny (XBO, 360, PS4, PS3)
- FIFA 15 (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, Wii, 3DS, PSV)
So that brings us to the year as a whole for software. Who sold the most in 2014? The answer likely won’t surprise you: Call of Duty. Yes, Activision’s workhorse charted not one but two games inside the top ten, their most recent achieving the top spot. Madden NFL 15 was the runner up, with Destiny finishing off its incredibly strong start at number three. It’s interesting to note that not only did Grand Theft Auto V finish in the top five, but this is actually the second year in a row it accomplished this feat, as it finished first overall last year.
Here’s the complete top ten of the best selling games of 2014:
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox 360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Super Smash Bros. (3DS, Wii U)
- NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Watch Dogs (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC, Wii U)
- FIFA 15 (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Wii, 3DS, Vita)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, PC)