I don’t think there’s anyone who wasn’t looking forward to this Bank Holiday. The weather is perfect, the BBQ’s are being brought out, and best of all we know there’s yet another long weekend just around the corner!
Of course, the only downside is the weather is so good I’ll feel guilty playing games!
Speaking of which, if you’re looking to try something different, For Honor is currently having a free weekend on PS4, Xbox One and PC, while Xbox One owners can also play XCOM 2 and Just Cause 3.
In the News This Week
- Check Out These Gorgeous Red Dead Redemption II Screen Shots
- God Of War Is Now The Fastest Selling PS4 Exclusive
- Microsoft, Nintendo & Sony Told To Get Rid Of Illegal Warranty Stickers By 9th May
- PS2 Classics Are Now On Sony’s PS Now Game Streaming Service
- The Dark Souls: Remastered Network Test Has Been Dated
- The May PlayStation Plus Games Are Now Available To Download, Links Here
- A Rating For Hitman: Sniper Assassin Has Appeared
- PUBG Xbox One Update #13 Promises Lots Of Performance Improvements
- Stardew Valley’s Multiplayer Goes Into Open Beta On PC, Mac & Linux
Games in Review
It was a busy week for the reviews!
- Frostpunk – PC – 9/10
- Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia – PC – 8/10
- A Robot Named Fight – Switch, PC – 7/10
- Nintendo Labo Robot Kit – Switch – 7/10
- Urban Trials Playground – Switch – 6/10
- Distortions – PC – 6/10
- Penny-Punching Princess – Vita, Switch – 6/10
- Phobos Vector Prime – PS4– 4/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
With so many reviews going on, it was unsurprisingly a quieter week for the previews and other features. Teflon kicked things off with a look at Yoku’s Island Express, a game that mixes pinball platformer and metroidvania to create something “that’s strikingly individual and just plain delightful”.
The Switch’s lineup got a bit bigger with the release of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It might be a polished up version of the Wii U release, but Dave says Nintendo have gone the extra mile for this great platfomer.
Tef also revisited Battlezone with its newly released Gold Edition, which drops the VR requirement from PS4 and PC, and also brings it to Xbox One – it’s due to arrive on Switch later this summer. He also spoke to the Lead Programmer and Designer about de-VR-ing in his interview.
Last up, he looked at Laser League, a game that sees “two teams fighting to control a field of deadly lasers that move, spin and shoot in patterns”. It’s designed to be easy to pick up, but with a nice pay off for those intense clutch plays.
Finally, What We Played featured Frostpunk, God of War & Nintendo Labo.
Let’s check in with the community this week:
- JR. achieved 100% completion and earned the platinum for God of War, and also saw off Episode 3 of Telltale’s Batman Season 2.
- MrYd is ever closer to the Killing Floor platinum, with just 1 trophy standing in his way. He also spent time with Ni No Kuni 2, Monster Hunter World, and Rayman Legends.
- Far Cry 5 has failed to retain tactical20‘s interest, but hopes that a short break and the upcoming DLC will entice him back in.
- After a difficult couple of weeks, Andrewww has found some peace in Rime.
- TSBonyman’s felt like pulling teeth after playing some of Dear Esther, but had to resort to getting some co-op help to progress in Bloodborne.
- Jag reckons God of War is one of the best games of the generation. Do you agree?
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Time for a look at the week ahead:
- Conan Exiles – XBO, PC, PS4 – 08/05
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire – PC – 08/05
- Destiny 2: Warmind Expansion – PS4, XBO, PC – 08/05
- Trailblazers – PS4, XBO, PC – 08/05
- Laser League – XBO, PS4 – 10/05
Enjoy the weather and I’ll see you again soon!