Just a week after Microsoft lifted the lid on the new Xbox, Sony have revealed the all important details about the PS5 in a short but snappy presentation on Wednesday night. Since then, trying to get your hands on a pre-order has been a bit of a kerfuffle, but let us know below if you’ve been one of the successful ones!
In the News This Week
First up, here’s everything about the PlayStation 5:
- PlayStation 5 launches on November 19th in the UK for £450 / £360
- PlayStation Plus Collection announced for PlayStation 5, a selection of PS4 games for PS Plus subscribers on next-gen
- Sony: Putting new games on a subscription service like Game Pass “doesn’t make any sense”
- Prices for PS5 launch games revealed, you may want to rethink buying the digital only console
- PlayStation 5 reveals are not done, “some really cool” user experience features are still to come
- Godfall has gone gold and it will be a PS5 launch title
- God of War sequel announced for PS5 – Ragnarok is coming in 2021
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West and Sackboy A Big Adventure are also coming to PS4 with free upgrades
And here’s what else happened:
- The Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War open alpha: How to get it, when it starts, and more
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps arrives on Nintendo Switch
- Hogwarts Legacy has finally been revealed, coming out in 2021
- Xbox Series X|S pre-orders go live Tuesday 22nd September, times and participating retailers listed here
- Xbox Series S game installs should be around 30% smaller than on Series X
If you’re into your Battle Royales, we’ve got a pretty snazzy giveaway this week, with 10 Spellbreak PS4 Founder’s Packs worth a whopping £99.99 up for grabs!
The contents include a Keymaster Outfit, Bughunter Outfit, Mystic Outfit, Master Badge, Battlemage Badge, Mage Badge and 15,000 Gold, with the giveaway running until Friday 25th September.
Games in Review
It felt like quite a hit-or-miss week for the reviews, but there’s some near essential games in the mix.
- Hades – NSW, PC – 10/10
- CrossCode – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 9/10
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – PS4 – 9/10
- The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars – NSW – 7/10
- The Saviour’s Gang – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC, And, iOS – 7/10
- Madden 21 – PS4, PS5, XBO, XSX – 6/10
- Nexomon: Extinction – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 6/10
- Spellbreak – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 6/10
- Here Be Dragons – NSW, PC – 6/10
- BPM: Bullets Per Minute – PC – 6/10
- Ary and the Secret of Seasons – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 4/10
- Dog Duty – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 3/10
Turning our attention to the previews, Jim’s initial scepticism was brushed aside once he went hands on with Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time – and you can also try out the Demo if you pre-order. Meanwhile, Steve enjoyed Remothered: Broken Porcelain, saying that it’s certainly improved – in fact, it’s “just the sequel that I was hoping for”.
Elsewhere, Jim asked whether For Honor was still worth playing in 2020, as Stefan questioned whether the disclosure that several PS5 exclusives would be coming to PS4 prove that Microsoft were right with their approach to cross-generational gaming.
Last up, the What We Played crew gathered round to discuss what next-gen console they will be buying.
Instead of asking the community what you’ve been playing this week, we asked what your plans were for the next generation.
Already having secured PS5 pre-orders are TSBonyman, doomsday619, Andrewww and beeje13, while Matthijs, MrYd and a few others are hoping there’ll be a second batch down the line.
Ico, seems to be the only one planning to grab an Xbox on day one, the value of Game Pass hard to pass up, but others are tempted by the Xbox Series X or S sometime down the line.
Meanwhile, tactical20 is holding out for a souped up Nintendo Switch, the plucky hybrid having rekindled his love of gaming since its release.
Have a good weekend and I’ll see you again soon!