Deadline are reporting that Sony’s smash hit Ghost of Tsushima is being made in to a movie with Chad Stahelski, the director of John Wick, set to helm the picture. Sucker Punch are on board and will serve as Executive Producers with Peter Kang from the studio overseeing the project.
“We’re excited to be partnering with Chad and 87Eleven Entertainment, to bring their vision of Jin’s story to the big screen. We love working with creative partners like Chad, who have a passion for our games, ensuring we can create rich adaptations that will excite our fans and new audiences.” said Asad Qizilbash, Head of PlayStation Productions.
By November last the year the game had sold over five million copies and hold the record for Sony’s fastest selling debut IP. In January Dave Molloy, Cinematic Creative Director at Sucker Punch, stated on his LinkedIn page that he was “presently working on the Ghost of Tsushima game for Sony PS5”. That wording has now been removed in the last ten hours and the post now has rather more generic “Presently working on the Ghost of Tsushima game for Sony PlayStation”.
— Hermen Hulst (@hermenhulst) November 12, 2020
The island’s scenic Watatsumi Shrine was heavily damaged during a typhoon last year. In response, priest Yuichi Hirayama took to Japanese online crowdfunding platform Campire for support last November, the campaign finishing at 27,103,882JPY, 540% more than its original goal thanks to fundraising efforts by fans of the game. The work to repair Watatsumi Shrine is due to start in April and finish sometime in August.
Although a work of fiction, Ghost of Tsushima is based on real-world history with the Mongol invasion of Japan around 1268AD. If you want to learn more, we did a deep dive last year as part of our “Playing With History” series.
- Ghost of Tsushima review
- The real world history behind Ghost of Tsushima
- Is Ghost of Tsushima historically accurate? We ask a samurai expert
- Where to find the grappling hook in Ghost of Tsushima
- Ghost of Tsushima Samurai techniques upgrade guide
- Ghost of Tsushima Ghost techniques upgrade guide
- Ghost of Tsushima collectibles guide – using the Traveler’s Attire
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – how to survive Gyozen’s Curse
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – Gear & XP farming guide
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – all Legendary Items
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – find Oni Treasure and Gyozen’s Lost Scrolls
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – 7 tips & tricks for beginners
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – Ronin class guide
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – Assassin class guide
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – Samurai class guide
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – Hunter class guide
- Ghost of Tsushima: Legends – how to beat the Tengu crow demons