Slim PS3 Gets More USB Ports, Card Reader Add-on

It's like a bodykit, for your PS3.

You know the situation, you’ve got a new Slim PS3 and you’ve simply got too many things to hook to it’s paltry double USB port limit, right?  If it’s not PlayTV needing a slot, it’s the Guitar Hero plectrum, or a Dual Shock that needs charging.  Panic not, Datel have the answer with this Fast and Furious-style front bumper add-on for your PS3.

For 2,000 Yen, the device plugs into the right-most USB port giving you another 3 extra sockets (so 4 in total) plus plenty of memory-card related goodness, including an SD cart slot that’s sadly missing on most models after the launch console.  The ports aren’t powered, although you can connect (judging from my translation) an external power supply to give them more juice.

The image above shows the absolute most you’ll have shoved into your PS3 at any one time, exaggerations aside, the new device does appear to have some merit.

Via watch.impress.co.jp.

1. toutski
    Legend
    Since: Oct 2008

Sounds good, I wonder if it will fit a phatty as well.

Now where can I get a set of spinners?

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:06.
    • TRiLoGY
      Since: Apr 2009

My phatty has already got this built in :)
      (no spinners though)

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:36.
  2. CrawFail
    Since: Apr 2010

I use a USB hub that I bought from the Pound Shop. :)

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:08.
  3. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

All I want is a USB port or two round the back, its annoying having wires draped around the front.

I use a mains charging stand for my dual shocks and it keeps them looking nice when I’m not using them, it also contains two powered USB charging points, good for things like my headset and other stuff.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:08.
    • ruinereraser

Exactly – that’s the only thing I like about new version of Xbox360 – USB ports in the back. Especially with all the gaming peripherals usually not using bluetooth for ‘PS2 compatibility’ (duh).

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:22.
    • Danza Di Fuoco

One of the launch PS3 accessories gives you two usb ports at the back its really usual but I’m not sure if there’s an alternative for slim.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:43.
  4. Charmed_Fanatic

Cant you just use a normal USB hub?

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:08.
    • Bilbo_bobbins

I thought you could, but I’ve been told by a chap in Game it has to be a certain type or something. You can’t get them of love nor money. The PC ones you can but I don’t know if you can use them?

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:20.
      • ruinereraser

I use a simple Logitech 4 usb port hub without any problems.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:24.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

nice cheers, I might have a look for that

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:30.
      • Paranoimia

Wouldn’t trust anything Game tell you… probably trying to sell you their own-brand stuff!

USB is a standard – any hub should work.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:31.
      • DeathByNumbers

Yes, do not trust anything a shop tells you, especially Game or Harvey Norman;

GAME – “Fallout 3 had online co-op, I was playing it last night with my friends in America”

Harvey Norman – “You must buy a 250GB ps3 slim if you want 3D games and films, none of the others are being updated.”

LMAO

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:35.
    • Danza Di Fuoco

lol no… you can just buy a cheap usb hub at your local pound shop

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:44.
    • sabbat7001
      Since: Jun 2010

Yeah, I bought a Targus 4 port USB hub for next to nothing (giving me a total of 5 available ports) and the biggest problem I had was avoiding the misinformation I was being fed by stores trying to make more cash out of me. One guy told me I had to have a USB hub with a power source “because the PS3 won’t support a non powered hub” (utter bull).

I had a similar problem a while back with getting a USB keyboard. All the stores were telling me I had to spend $80+ on the official Sony keyboard. In the end I bought a $9 Logitech wired keyboard figuring if it didn’t work it’s no big loss. It worked, and still works just fine.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 15:17.
  5. gaffers101
    Since: Oct 2008

I’d like to see the UK price for this.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:09.
  6. X201

Looks hideous.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:26.
  7. DrNate86
    Since: Apr 2010

If it isn’t powered it will be useless anyway. I had a multi-hub and it would stop working if I was using all the slots as it couldn’t draw enough power from the single USB. I like the look of the GAME charging stand though!

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:31.
    • nofi
      One for all.

I don’t know if it’s powered, couldn’t quite work it out but I’m assuming it’s not.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:42.
      • carson321

Surely it muct be powered, its showint the PSEye and whatever the black thing is on top with lights on them, indicating they are drawing power from the usb?!

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 15:05.
  8. pabloamigo

Another reservation I’d have with this is that I’m sure my slim has a small vent above the USB ports for air flow. With these modern fangled consoles do you really want to be obstructing that?

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:44.
  9. TSBonyman

That looks even worse with all those cables sticking out the front.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:46.
  10. mrfodder

Bought a nice stand/usb hub/sd card reader (no ms) on amazon from my slim recently. Works a treat.

Comment posted on 30/07/2010 at 14:54.