Sony Extends "Welcome Back" Package

People power > bad PR.

After mostly negative comments regarding our story last night it’s refreshing to see that, if no-one else, Sony saw that a little bit of confusion and a few hours either way isn’t worth the bad PR.

It looks like stepping up and shaking a fist has worked – Sony have extended the previously expired Welcome Back package for another day, and it’ll now end on the 5th July.

And, wisely, given a deadline in terms of time, not just a date – it’s 9am Pacific Time.

For PS3 owners, go to the ‘Welcome Back’ section in the PlayStation Store, and select 2 titles from the following list:

• Dead Nation
  • inFAMOUS
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
  • Wipeout HD + Fury

For PSP owners, go to the ‘Welcome Back’ section of PlayStation Store on your PSP system and select 2 titles from the following list:

• LittleBigPlanet (PSP)
  • ModNation Racers
  • Pursuit Force
  • Killzone Liberation

You might have got your games, but did you get your 30 days PlayStation Plus free?  No?  Good, now go get it today.

1. Kovacs

Cue another bunch of tardy moaners complaining on the fifth.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 08:21.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

yep they should have not done it.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 15:26.
  2. fattyuk
    Since: Apr 2010

Mostly negative comments last night? Thought it was completely the opposite lol

Good for those that missed out though.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 08:22.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

I thought that too, was just reading the comments and most people are saying fair enough, 30 days is 30 days.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 08:27.
  3. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

If my sub account has ps+, will my main account also have it? If so, I’ll download that while I still can, if not it doesn’t really bother me one way or the other as I’ve already downloaded my free games and my 30 day ps+.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 08:26.
    • hazelam

i don’t know if your main account will have it, but as far as i know, so long as the account that has the plus sub and that was used to download the content, is on the ps3, then you will be able to use that content on any account.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:10.
  4. moshi

Another 24 hours for people to be “out of town ” then

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 08:53.
  5. hazelam

it’s been a month, there aren’t going to be that many legitimate reasons why somebody wouldn’t have been able to get the games by now.
    procrastination is your enemy.
    trust me i know, i plan to do something about my procrastination.
    and i’m going to start tomorrow. (^_^)

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:12.
    • aphex187
      Since: Mar 2010

What about the likes of myself who suffered an ill fated YLOD 4 days after the PSN came back on! I have noway of even logging in to dl what i want.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:20.
      • tonycawley
        Pint! Pint!

Well, you had 4 days to get them downloaded ;-) honestly though, what exactly do you want don’t to do about that?

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:26.
      • fattyuk
        Since: Apr 2010

Unlucky mate, but what can Sony do about that? You’ve known since you got the ylod that there’s a deadline

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:40.
  6. DirtyHabit

Silly question..

As an existing plus subscriber, do I still need to claim the extra months subscription?

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:20.
    • tonycawley
      Pint! Pint!

I seem to remember that yes, you claim it and an extra months gets added on when its due to expire. Not a silly question at all, totally valid.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:27.
    • xdarkmagician

No, it’s been added automatically.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:29.
      • DirtyHabit

erm….?

Might as well claim it anyway. Worst that can happen is I’ll be a PS plus plus subsriber for a month! :)

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 10:00.
      • DirtyHabit

Dammit! :)

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 10:02.
      • xdarkmagician

I don’t know for sure with the different regions but in NA if you were already a subscriber there was no “free 30 day PS+” choice in the welcome back package… meaning, there’s nothing to download. If you check your Sony subscription services under — Account Management> Transactions>Services — you’ll see your subscription expiration date, it should have been increased by 60 days. I believe they added the 60 days the day the PSN was restored. :)

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 12:01.
  7. KeRaSh

Already downloaded the games I wanted and don’t really care about PS+ so I’ll let that expire.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:36.
  8. fattyuk
    Since: Apr 2010

Anyone else noticed that the welcome back section isn’t anywhere to be seen on the store?

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:37.
    • John Malcolm
      Since: Apr 2009

I have. I’ve found a site that lists the sizes of the downloads and I can manage to get two games and still be comfortably inside my 10GB/month limit on broadband. Now to find that Welcome Back section…

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 19:50.
  9. xdarkmagician

Sony should just leave it up for all year. I mean what’s the big deal if there’s a welcome back package available, it’s not like anybody has found a way to download more free games from it. The package store options gets disabled once you download your games, so technically once you get your games the Welcome Back Package becomes expired on a individual PS3 basis. Why not just leave it available until everybody gets their games. Sony had to assume that everybody would download free games so they should have planned to pay X amount of dollars for every account, turning it off (the way the did) just seemed cheap. But I’ll give them mad props for turning it back on… that’s probably the best customers service and speed of a resolution we’ve seen from them in awhile.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:49.
    • fattyuk
      Since: Apr 2010

A year? But that would just leave the problem lingering about when all they want is to get on and forget about the problem like all of us do.

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 09:52.
      • xdarkmagician

But what problem is it causing? It’s not like people are complaining that the store is too cluttered. Sony can stop advertising the package, but what’s the harm if it occupies a remote corner of the store until Jan 1st. It’s just another store option. Then Sony can safely say everybody has no excuse, since some people do have legitimate reasons why they haven’t downloaded them yet, (YLoD, internet issues) in these cases abandoning the program after 30 days is even more of a slap in the face to a loyal customer. You’d think Sony would have some empathy for customers with technical issues that last a month (and it turns out they kinda do) It’s safer for their PR to just leave it available until nobody’s going to complain. I’m sure it’s more of a “lets put this mess in the last fiscal year so we can get back to some big corporate bonuses” approach to business. :)

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 12:47.
    • moshi

Best solution Ever

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 10:00.
  10. tom1234321

Is this USA only or for everyone as I can’t find it on the store at all…

Comment posted on 04/07/2011 at 11:33.