UK PSN Store Now Offers TV Episodes

Look, no ads!

The UK PlayStation Network Video Store has had a minor upgrade. You can now buy individual TV episodes – plenty in HD – to download and keep on your console.

There is certainly plenty of choice with US TV shows making up the bulk of the content. It seems like this is the fruition of a deal between Sony and Sky TV. Shows like Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, South Park and Two and a Half Men will attract PlayStation fans who don’t keep a Sky subscription and are reluctant to use grey-area download sites or other means, like iTunes, to get the best of US television.

Unfortunately, the selection of episodes on offer does seem a little bizarre. For example, there are seasons one and six of 24 available but nothing in between or after. Dollhouse season two is available but there’s no first season.

Episodes seem to be priced between £1.49 and £2.49 each, in SD or HD but there’s no option to buy full seasons of shows.

Is this something you’ll use?

Thanks, poultee

1. DirtyHabit

Nope….

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:02.
    • TrialByFire
      Banned
      Since: Nov 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 22:57.
  2. SpikeyMikey23

Pretty expensive per episode. Can’t see me getting any use from this, although I would greatly appreciate a free trial Sony (wink, wink)

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:02.
    • Origami Killer

I with you, quite expensive for a single episode :/

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:09.
    • BrendanCalls
      Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc - YOHIMBÉ!!!

Agreed, I thought it was pretty expensive too.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:25.
    • Grey_Ghost13

yeah, although I like the idea of owning the episode on my console, it’s just too expensive per episode. Digital download pricing structures on all formats, games, movies & now TV show really need sorting out on the PSN, just way to expensive across the board.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:59.
  3. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Just wish SkyGo would come to the PS3

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:05.
  4. Tomhlord
    Team TSA: Writer
    Since: Apr 2009

I can’t use the video store at all as an old, dead, PS3 has my video activation on it. Hopefully this will change when this new super website for deactivation appears! If it does and provided there is a discounted price for buying a season then I would be interested in quite a few US shows I’ve never caught up on.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:13.
    • Jambo

Hey man you can clear activations through the qriocity site now I think.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:16.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

isn’t that already active here: https://account.qriocity.com/login.action;jsessionid=344D83A9E4F2E2F1DA0E965882ED1877.lvp-p2-npgrct02-2209 ?
      Or is that just for the game activation?

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:16.
      • Jambo

There were video and comic options also so should be fine for Toms requirements.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:21.
    • Dlaf42
      Since: Mar 2009

the site is for game activation, you should phone up playstation support and have a word with them about resetting your video activation on older dead machine..its the same process for sing star tracks being transferred to new machine if the registered machine dies.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:22.
  5. Jambo

If they bring out season passes that aren’t too expensive then maybe, not for single episodes though.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:20.
  6. sparkyscrum
    Since: May 2011

Do they work on the PSP/Vita tho? That would make them worthwhile.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:21.
  7. Dunks
    Since: Nov 2008

Way too expensive. They should at least price down older season to get people using the thing…

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:28.
    • cam the man

Yeah, it would have to be a lot cheaper before I’ll consider using it.
      Anyway there are loads of streaming sites so you could, more than likely, find them a lot cheaper or even free somewhere else.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 13:26.
  8. dude90

TBH it might have been there for a couple of weeks, somebody tweeted it last week and I checked it out then. There really isn’t much of a selection though, just the odd season or two and very few shows to even choose from.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:32.
    • dude90

I hope they add more soon.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:34.
    • colossalblue
      Team TSA: Editor

I thought I’d heard something about it before but when the tip came in, I searched online and nobody had mentioned it being live (literally found nothing about it) so I checked myself. I assumed what I’d heard before was the announcement that it was going to happen… did you actually look at the store weeks ago?

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:39.
      • dude90

I hadn’t checked the video store in months, it was only because of the tweet I had to check it out. I don’t buy anything from Video Store because there isn’t much of stuff that I’d like to buy.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:56.
  9. commuterzombie

They’d need to drop the pricing to around £0.79 per ep SD and £0.99 per ep HD and have a much wider range of eps available before this would interest me. I’d only pay £1.49 per ep if it was brand new (i.e. just aired in the states).

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:36.
  10. david
    Since: Apr 2010

Is this service “Instant on” like XBLS which is just stunning IMHO.

Comment posted on 24/11/2011 at 10:38.