Piracy Rate On Android Version Of Football Manager Is 9:1

"Dicks."

Anecdotally, I’ve heard similar – piracy on Android is rife.

Miles Jacobson, the guy behind the Football Manager Handheld series, has spoken out on Twitter about his latest game and how it’s been hit with unbelievable levels of piracy.

First up though, the good news.  About two hours ago Jacobson announced that the game had entered into the “between 10k and 50k” sales band. “Thank you very much to those who bought it,” he said. ”However, seeing as people pleaded with us to get FMH onto Android, I’m amazed at how pirated it is,” he continued. “Around 9:1. Dicks.”

“And you wonder why developers are so reticent to make games for Android? The pirates could kill it for everyone. Sigh,” he added.

The ratio for piracy on the PC version was 5:1, apparently, with FM2009.

“The problem is much worse on Android,” he said, when asked about the iPhone.  ”You need to jailbreak iOS,” he said. “Most don’t.” It doesn’t look like it’s been a particularly good day for the developer.  ”Piracy on Android is the worst I’ve seen in my career in games,” he said.

These figures aren’t unique to this game, either. A quick Google suggests that around about 90% is the going rate in some cases.

The game costs £6.99.

1. Mike
    Since: Oct 2008

If people don’t want to pay £6.99 for a game such as this then please GTFO

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:13.
    • Peter Rushton
      Since: Aug 2010

You sir are an idiot!

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 18:22.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

And how did you figure that out?

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 18:27.
      • Vaile23

think you need to clarify what you meant by your earlier statement

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 23:54.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

What I said – if people can’t afford it then they shouldn’t pirate it. A 9:1 ratio is disgusting. If I released an app and it was being pirated 9 times more than what people were paying for it I’d probably just pull the app. The GTFO part was a joke I may add.

Clearly this makes me an idiot to Mr Rushton….

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 07:51.
      • freezebug2

Peter, you have totally misinterpreted what Mike said in his comments. He has just stated anyone that’s not willing to pay the low asking price for a quality game such as FM and would rather pirate it instead can Fuck Off….or as Mike put it “Get The Fuck Out”

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 09:04.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

Thanks freeze, always got my back ;) Looks like even an old veteran like me is still prone to being called am idiot from time to time :P

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 09:49.
      • freezebug2

No worries mate, but I can see how easily it could have been misinterpreted by someone who doesn’t know you from the olden days when it was all fields :P

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 10:08.
      • InternationalGamer
        Since: Dec 2010

Honestly, I also misunderstood what Mike said at first, took me a couple of seconds to figure out what he had really meant.

Comment posted on 22/04/2012 at 11:38.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

At least you got there in the end ;)

Comment posted on 23/04/2012 at 10:00.
    • Mike
      Since: Oct 2008

Back in my day there was a church, a few houses and fields – now all of you whippersnappers are here ruining the place ;)

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 13:11.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

For the love of Sheogorath! STOP TELLING US ABOUT THOSE DAYS! Every time i walk through the mods club, you are always going on about them. :P

Comment posted on 22/04/2012 at 11:48.
  2. Nickboss1
    Since: Mar 2010

Wow 9:1 thats more then the psp.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:14.
  3. teflon
    Community Team

Piracy on iOS is pretty high too, though. Id love to see some stats on that.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:17.
    • bmg_123
      Since: Feb 2012

Yeah, especially considering the ease of which iOS devices are jailbroken and the fact that the net is also pretty affluent with them…

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:27.
      • teflon
        Community Team

It’s still a hurdle to surpass, no matter how simple it is to do. There’s always an element of risk to it.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 18:07.
      • tantalus_blank
        Since: Nov 2008

@Tef

Plus the iPhone’s target market is the kind of people who have no idea about that kind of thing

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 08:22.
    • Awayze
      Since: Jul 2010

Saurik (Cydia’s owner) said that only like 2% of the iPhone’s worldwide are jailbroken and have accessed Cydia since 2008.

As newer iPhone’s come out, people JB less as Apple adds stuff to iOS so need to JB and hackers have trouble finding exploits in the baseband and bootloader ever since GeoHot left the iPhone JB community, it’s been pretty much dead.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:58.
    • cc_star
      Team TSA: Writer

Remember long ago someone released some stats which were 10:1 in favour of piracy, but as the userbase grew, most likely with less technically adept people the percentages have probably fallen.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 18:00.
    • Dazbobaby
      Since: Aug 2010

A friend of mine is an iOS dev and he’s giving his next game away for free, but creating in-app purchases. No getting around that pirates!

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 10:12.
      • Mike
        Since: Oct 2008

It’s happening more and more with apps and if it helps generate the devs revenue then so be it!

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 13:24.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

You can pirate in app purchases, don’t have any apple device but I know it can be done, but not easy and only on some games I think.

Comment posted on 21/04/2012 at 15:25.
    • bunimomike

You also have a culture of people willing to part with money more easily for the periphery and software. It’s why iOS is such a lucrative platform per capita but Android will surely catch up one day.

Comment posted on 22/04/2012 at 01:02.
  4. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

That is an utter disgrace.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:18.
  5. Paranoimia

I’d imagine the price is part of the problem.

I’m not saying it’s not plenty cheap enough, I’m not saying the game isn’t worth it, and I’m definitely not saying that I agree with the pirating of the game, because I don’t.

But with so many other games being £1 or less, you once again get people thinking “wow, that’s too expensive – I’ll pirate it.”

Sadly, it doesn’t matter how low you price something, if people can get it for free, they will.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:21.
  6. HoboCastro
    Since: Mar 2010

I’ve never seen the point in pirating Android software personally. Then again, I don’t play games on mine. Or buy Apps for that matter, enough free ones. That and it’s ludicrous that you can only buy using a Credit Card on Google.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:21.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

hoping goggle star a card system.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 21:04.
  7. Manorhowze
    Driving God

Football Manager Handheld is the only game I have paid for on my Android phone. Up till now I only downloaded the free games/demos off the store but I always wanted a FM game on my phone and once it was finally released I was more than happy to pay for it.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:23.
  8. DixNeuf
    Since: Apr 2010

Wow, that’s pretty bad – makes sense tho as the barrier to entry for pirate Android apps is nearly non-existant.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:26.
  9. TheDemocrodile

Ridiculous, the price is perfect for a game like this with such brilliant replay value and depth.

They could learn something from Blackbeards Ghost.

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:39.
  10. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Wow that’s terrible

Comment posted on 20/04/2012 at 17:52.