Seven Hours Of PSN Maintenance Today

Cross Game Cha... oh, probably not.

Okay, I know that if I complain about this there’ll be a slew of comments where a few hardcore Sony apologists reply. They’ll basically either tell me to shut up moaning (fair point) or tell me that they’d rather this regular downtime for maintenance than another security breach (also a fair point).

But I do want a little moan and here’s why: I think this is a far too regular occurrence and I think that we all deserve better than to have maintenance so often and at such peak times.

That said, I would rather this than another massive security breach and I do tend to moan a lot. So there you go. We’re both right. Hugs?

Oh, the facts: The PSN will be undergoing maintenance between 16:00 and 23:00 BST today. It shouldn’t cause disruption to gameplay but there might be the odd little glitch for a limited number of users. So it’s not as bad as usual and you should still be able to sign in and play your games but if there’s a problem, you’ve been warned why.

Source: PlayStation Forums

1. Bilbo_bobbins

this happens way too often now, and is becoming annoying, especially when I get few days a week now to play after work, and some nights I cant because of stupid maintenance. Do it when people are in bed Sony, its fairly simple no?

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 13:16.
  2. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I think Sony’s trying to beat TFL’s record for the least number of consecutive days where the service they provide is actually running.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 13:42.
  3. Crazy_Del

Well it is becomming annoying, but I just prefer they give us heads up like a week early becuase of the meets and yes I know you can still log online during the maintenance but believe me I keep getting disconnected or error message when there is maintenance at the time!
    Far too much in my opinion.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 13:48.
  4. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

They really do need to give warning.
    A few days warning (as in, minimum 3) unless it’s an emergency fix wouldn’t go amiss.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:02.
  5. Origami Killer

Again I have no gripe with this. Never does disrupt my online play, or give me any problems what so ever. Why do people moan? just for moaning’s sake.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:30.
    • Forrest_01

As Del mentioned above, it is simply the lack of notice as it could still affect some that are signed up for meets – It shouldn’t, but that’s not to say it won’t .

Other than that, it happens far too often, for too long & they never say why. They are personal gripes though.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:39.
    • sg
      Since: Nov 2011

ikr?

why are people moaning when you don’t have any problems with it. they need to stfu tbh. =p

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 16:20.
  6. Forrest_01

FFS!

Seriously – As i have touched upon before, i have no problem with them keeping the network secure or whatever, but this now becoming far too regular an occurence.

I of course have issues with the amount of time it has to be down & the lack of information for what its actually for, but the lack of notice on this particular occasion is nothing short of bleedin’ ridiculous.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 14:33.
  7. Rocket_345

Aw i wish they would just fuck off with the maintenance. If something needs maintenance this often then you know something is wrong.

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 16:23.
  8. Bladesteel
    Since: Sep 2008

Hopefully this is connected to the PS1 on Vita story posted earlier today

Comment posted on 26/04/2012 at 17:08.
  9. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

Cross game snacking! That is the running joke on here right? ;)

SCEE, this is crap customer service. I have no problem with the maintance but the lack of notice really pees me off. How hard is it for you to type up a post on your blog a few days before and press post?

Those who were at work yesterday and had planned to relax by killing their mates online after work would have been very annoyed.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 10:27.
  10. Severn2j

While I completely understand the need to keep the network secure, what I cant get my head around is the massive downtime. Surely PSN/SEN (whatever its called now) is not running on a single Windows PC at Sony HQ in Japan, it must at least be running on a cluster of servers at multiple datacenters throughout the world, so surely they could just do the maintenance on a few servers at a time and roll them out without having to take down the entire network. That’s just basic server management (I know this, because this is my job). You dont get these outages from any other network (XBL, Steam, Amazon’s EC2, etc), do you think they dont bother with maintanence? Of course they do, they just do it properly. Doing it this way, just makes Sony look like a bunch of cowboys and a laughing stock.

Comment posted on 27/04/2012 at 10:28.