Preview

Dishonored Hands-On (PS3, Xbox 360)

Mystical Steampunk Assassination Action.

Laced all the way through Dishonored is the ability to play each mission how you want to tackle it. There are shades of Deus Ex and Thief everywhere, all wrapped in a dark and fantastical new world inspired by 1800s London.

It’s not much of a surprise when you see the line up of developers behind the title, with one of the Creative Directors, Harvey Smith and Lead Designer, Ricardo Bare having been on that original Deus Ex team. Viktor Antonov the main man behind designing City 17 around Eastern European stylings for Half Life 2 is also present. They’re just part of a dream team of art and game design and this is clear almost everywhere you look.

The mission I had the opportunity to sit down with sits part-way into the game’s long list of revenge assassinations. The protagonist is Corvo Atano, the bodyguard turned assassin who has been framed for the murder of the Empress by the Lord Regent; and as one of the Lord Regent’s supporters, Lady Boyle is Atano’s next target.

Combine powers in order to get about town and assassinate targets how you want.
She’s hosting a masked party but needless to say I didn’t have an invite so would have to find my own way in. Right off the bat there are a good number of routes that can be taken. My natural inclination was to dodge guards, hop over a fence to the main gate and see what I could do there. I stumbled across a dropped invite, and was able to use this to get into the party, where I would fit in perfectly, thanks to Atano’s signature mask. I couldn’t possibly be Atano himself, after all.

Of course, this was the thoroughly pedestrian route to take, not using any of the supernatural powers I had at my disposal. I was still getting used to everything I could do, whereas if I’d had the hours of gameplay leading up to this I might have known better to look for the sewers which I could enter by possessing a fish. I might even have ducked into an adjacent building and blinked (teleported) myself across the gap from one roof to the next.

I could even have barrelled in, weapons ablaze and used the ability to stop time, move people in front of their own bullets, and taken out all the guards. I showed a little restraint, though. It wouldn’t do to cause a scene and make my mission more difficult.

Once inside, I happened onto a side mission, deviating slightly off the main path and handing a note to a Lord. He was just hanging around in the courtyard but this note kind of dropped me in at the deep end, having me act as a representative in a pistol duel. The implementation of this duel caught me by surprise a little with how well thought out and authentic it was. A guard officiates, handing out the pistols, sending us to our marks and making us face away from one another. Only on the count of three was I to turn around, aim and shoot as best I could.

Honourably, I waited until the count, turned and in my haste put my shot wide, receiving a bullet in return for my troubles before I could reload and take better aim. I was only playing on Normal difficulty, so this didn’t kill me but I’d expect missing your first shot would be far more perilous on harder difficulties. Side mission dispatched, and with the guards muttering about the likelihood of running out of guests, I headed in to the main party to hunt my quarry.

One of the Ladies Boyle.
Inside the house I was again met with another challenge of sprawling possibilities, much like getting into the party itself. There are three Lady Boyles in variations of the same outfit, and I have to find the right one, assassinate her and manage to get out alive.

Excellently the target is randomised by the game, so I need to actually investigate. I could sneak out of the bounds of the party to find clues (also with their positions randomised) in one of the bedrooms, or walk around, being sprayed from the walls by confetti as I move, and engage in conversation with the guests to find clues. Even if you don’t talk to them, they’ll often take a break from what they’re discussing about the state of the empire, the plague and the game’s rather gloomy wider world in order to complement you on your dress sense.

It’s always good to hear a man with a squid for a head saying that he likes your outfit, isn’t it?

Up in one of the bedrooms, I discover which Lady I want from her journal. She’s apparently rather hot in her nether regions too, and just about ready to pounce on the first man she sees. That certainly doesn’t sound very lady-like to me but it does give me the perfect way to draw her away from the main party via some simple dialogue and quietly take her life. A more discrete option than doing so in the open with guests and guards everywhere, which will also let me leave the party before her body is discovered.

In a nice touch, there’s always a more peaceful route to take to each of the game’s assassinations, so that you can progress through the entire game without killing anyone. Hopefully not even boss characters. In this case, Lady Boyle apparently has quite an admirer at her own party, although I guess he’s more like an unhinged stalker. Either way, he’s more than willing to take her away from this place for some alone time of his own… For good.

With a large number of powers and weapons to choose from, mixed with level design that encourages and enables you to mix and combine these into different styles of play, I doubt that I’ve even covered half the possible routes to cover this mission. Dishonored is a game that looks like it will really capture the essence of the “play-how-you-want” style of game design, all wrapped in a wonderfully realised steampunk dystopia.

1. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

Good stuff Tef, can I ask if it seemed like playing a certain way (e.g aggressively compared to stealthily) offered any advantage? I want to know if it really is truly play-how-you-want or if you’re limited to just a few ways of completing the missions? Also, how linear are the missions? I still cant help to think it would be better as a sandbox game, Assassins Creed is a perfect example of how well the combination works.

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 20:23.
    • teflon
      Community Team

It felt most natural to me to play in a stealthy fashion, but that’s just how I roll. If you want to go toe to toe with the walkers and guards, then you can gear your player to do so, relying on big weapons and supernatural powers to get you through. I imagine that an all-guns blazing approach will be harder, but a more thought out assault, using everything at your disposal, will work well.

I consider it to be more that each level is a mini sandbox, which you can go about as you will. Each area in the mission I played could be tackled a number of ways, using different combinations of powers, and they’re designed to cater for this.

I don’t think turning it into an open world, like AC, would really benefit things. It’s on a smaller scale to really nail all of the possibilities on offer.

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 20:55.
      • gazzagb
        Master of speling mitakse

Ah right, well that sounds good. Thanks.

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 22:53.
  2. MICKY17

Really liking the look of this. Unfortunately for me, the release date puts it up against some heavy hitters in October, so I may have to wait till next year.

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 22:18.
  3. tonycawley
    Pint! Pint!

Great article as usual by tef. I was already interested in this, but this just cements my interest. Does sound very deus ex, which can only be a good thing.

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 23:04.
  4. LTG Davey
    andUandU

Bioshock with more stealthy bits then. Count me in :)
    Given its a Bethesda title however I will pick it up in 2013 after a price drop. Will give them chance to iron out the 3 million bugs the poor day-one buyers find… :P

Comment posted on 20/08/2012 at 23:06.
    • KeRaSh

My thoughts exactly but I’m actually willing to take the risk considering this is a very interesting new IP that is in some ways similar to one of my all time favourite games, Deus Ex (HR).
      By the way, that upside down baby doll masked lady in the second screenshot of the last row is very creepy but at the same time I have to admire the creativeness and the design of it…

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 06:13.
    • Greg Aldridge
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

Given it’s Arkane’s (the developer) first title to be published by Bethesda and doesn’t look to be using the Fallout/Elder Scrolls game engine why do you think this will be as supposedly bug-filled as Fallout 3 or Skyrim which I guess you are alluding to?

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 08:49.
      • LTG Davey
        andUandU

I suppose I’m just wary given the four Bethesda games I’ve ever bought have been pretty buggy at launch (Oblivion, FO3, FO:NV, Skyrim).
        You’re right though, this isn’t using that engine and (I believe) it isn’t open world so hopefully Dishonored is released finished and ready to play :)

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 08:55.
      • teflon
        Community Team

Yeah, it’s based on the UE3 isn’t a wide open world, and isn’t being developed by Bethesda Game Studios.
        So, a bit like Rage coming out under the Bethesda brand, this one should hopefully be a fairly safe bet too.

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 12:37.
  5. Forrest_01

As long as this does truly allow you to play ‘the way you want’ (unlike Deus Ex that pretended to, but in reality anything other than a stealthy approach would see you dead), this’ll be on my ‘to get’ list.

Really like the ideas on show… & i have powers? I’m in.

Always wanted to be a Superhero. Or a Vampire.

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 09:46.
    • KeRaSh

Don’t you dare say anything negative about DE:HR! :P
      I went for a pure stealth approach but also dicked around with weaponized approaches (without saving afterwards) and it was very possible to get through the game without relying on stealth. You still had to play it smart but I think that much should be clear.

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 10:09.
      • Forrest_01

Was the gunplay on harder levels though? As whenever i attempted to ‘engage’ on harder difficulties, i was always dead in literally a couple of bullets time.

It just wasn’t worth it for me as sections of levels were taking me hours to complete, yet the game promoted itself as though you could act stealthily at first & fight your way out if caught, but that really wasn’t practical.

There’s nothing wrong with a stealthy approach of course, its just not an approach i like, or am particularly good at. I’m more of an ‘all guns blazing’ kinda chap.

Perhaps i should just drop the dificulty to ‘pussy’ (to hell with the plat) & just play the game the way i want to. I might actually enjoy it then! :)

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 10:29.
  6. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

It sounds like it will be an excellent game. I may actually pick it up and swear at Bugthesda when it crashes half way through installing it. ;) I suspect they will encourage you to use stealth by making the going in guns blazing way very hard to pull off. I wonder if they will include a frenzy power as that would be very useful.

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 10:50.
    • Greg Aldridge
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Oct 2008

See my reply above to LTG Davey; why do you expect Dishonored will be buggy?
      Your continued peddling of “Bugthesda” comes across as being as childish as the “Micro$oft” that you’ve decried in comments before.

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 11:14.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

The bugthesda remark is just a lighthearted joke. Plus i expect their games to be buggy otherwise i will feel a bit dirty when i play them if they are bug free. As for Dishonoured being buggy. It seems if Bethesda are involved in anyway the game tends to be buggy. :)

Comment posted on 21/08/2012 at 11:50.