Article written by Peter Chapman.
Published on 24/12/2012 at 10:32 AM.
It’s Black Ops II. The UK’s Christmas number one was always likely to be Activision’s immense sales generating machine, wasn’t it? It only saw a sales increase of two per cent though, while Far Cry 3 saw its sales rise by 86 per cent on last week’s. That’s likely due to some utterly insane bargains for that game which are around right now.
According to UKIE this result means that, aside from Bethesda’s Skyrim in 2011, there’s been an EA or an Activision at number one every Christmas for a decade. And who says that the modern videogames market is boring?
Sony’s two big hopes for Christmas, Book of Spells and PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, didn’t light the charts up. Book of Spells sits at a just-about-acceptable 27th despite seeing quite decent retailer discounts itself.
Battle Royale, despite heavy advertising all over the UK, fails to appear in the top forty at all. That means it was outsold over the past week by such gems as Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics, 007 Legends and Sonic Generations. That’s a shame, as everyone I know who has bought it thinks it’s really good. Perhaps the pre-release message just wasn’t right after all, huh?
Of course, this chart doesn’t track digital sales, so Battle Royale might be selling millions via PSN.
Here’s the top twenty:
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- FAR CRY 3 – UBISOFT
- HITMAN ABSOLUTION – SQUARE ENIX EUROPE
- FIFA 13 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- JUST DANCE 4 – UBISOFT
- NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- ASSASSIN’S CREED III – UBISOFT
- HALO 4 – MICROSOFT
- LEGO THE LORD OF THE RINGS – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- WWE ’13 – THQ
- THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
- SKYLANDERS GIANTS – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 – SEGA
- MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED – SEGA
- FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 – MICROSOFT
- MOSHI MONSTERS: MOSHLINGS THEME PARK – MIND CANDY
- LEGO BATMAN 2: DC SUPER HEROES – WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE
- NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 – NINTENDO
- DISNEY EPIC MICKEY 2: THE POWER OF TWO – DISNEY INTERACTIVE STUDIOS