December PSN Download Charts Packed With Quality

Far Cry 3 and Stranger's Wrath HD fare well.

Sony has published the latest download charts for PSN titles. The chart reads like a showcase for the diversity and quality available on the service. It’s split into full game downloads and PSN Games across platforms.

The best selling full game was Far Cry 3, which makes sense because it is the newest release on the list and also a bit bloody good. Hitman: Absolution and Guardians of Middle Earth make up the top three, perhaps demonstrating the power of Sony’s Christmas-period sales.

Here’s the top ten full game downloads:

1. Far Cry 3
  2. Hitman Absolution
  3. Guardians of Middle-Earth
  4. Need for Speed Most Wanted
  5. Just Cause 2
  6. Sleeping Dogs
  7. Ratchet & Clank: QForce
  8. Grand Theft Auto IV
  9. LittleBigPlanet Karting
  10. One Piece: Pirate Warriors

PSN games are well represented with Mass Effect’s first appearance on PlayStation taking the top spot and the stunning bundling of Journey and The Unfinished Swan in second place. Given the quality of both titles involved, and the budget pricing, that’s hardly surprising. This list shows what fantastic diversity is available on the Store with games like Tokyo Jungle and The Walking Dead faring well alongside retro remake Tony Hawk’s and Okami HD.

Here’s the top ten PSN game downloads for PS3:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Journey/The Unfinished Swan bundle
  3. Tokyo Jungle
  4. The Walking Dead – Season Pass
  5. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater HD
  6. Journey
  7. Okami HD
  8. Worms Revolution
  9. Worms Ultimate Mayhem
  10. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II

On to the Vita and we can see similar levels of quality throughout. Just Add Water’s impressive porting of Stranger’s Wrath HD claims top spot. It’s always nice to see a friendly studio doing well but quite aside from our love for the guys at JAW (and Oddworld Inhabitants), it’s great to see a first person game doing well critically as well with the punters.

Uncharted: FIght for Fortune takes the second spot, showing that trying something new on the platform can reap rewards. The card collection game’s cheap price and prestigious franchise pairing won’t have hurt but it’s still good to see a nice spread. Black Ops Declassified rounds out the top three but the less I say about that particular game the better. Let’s just say I’m happy that the rest of the field is so strong.

Here’s the Vita top ten downloads:

1. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD
  2. Uncharted: Fight for Fortune
  3. Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified
  4. Rayman Origins
  5. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation
  6. Sine Mora
  7. LittleBigPlanet PlayStation Vita
  8. PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale
  9. Need for Speed Most Wanted
  10. MotorStorm RC

We’ve referred to the European (PAL territory) charts here but the North American ones are also out and they’re similarly well stocked with great titles and demonstrations of the power that bundles and discounting can achieve.

1. flatspikes

Wonder what the figures behind this list look like…

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 22:16.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Good to see mass effect getting some love up there, still yet to pick it up though.
    Strangers wrath vita good game too

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 22:24.
  3. cam the man

I downloaded both Oddworld and Uncharted but haven’t played them yet.
    I’m really enjoying BreakQuest (Vita) at the moment, it’s very addictive, and free.

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 22:27.
  4. Kivi95
    Since: Oct 2009

Weird how Playstation all-stars Battle Royal does so well on the NA chart but on the EU one it doesn’t even chart.

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 22:33.
    • KeRaSh

It’s in the Vita list.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 07:08.
  5. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

I’d like to see the numbers behind the sales here. Also, what is One Piece: Pirate Warriors? Never even heard of it before.

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 23:12.
    • samiro05

I’m playing it now. As I’ve never followed one piece before I can guess that the game covers the one piece story of how all the crew meet and puts it into a really nice punch up game with the story being good but only subtitled, no English voicework. Fans should really enjoy it. About 20 hours there at least.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 08:37.
    • wolf-OF-chaos
      Since: Feb 2012

One Piece: Pirate Warriors is also a fairly terrible anime. The game is basically dynasty warriors with a one piece skin.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 18:23.
  6. freezebug2

Holy kooky fruits, so people are actually buying those £60 games from the store rather than a half priced disc retail version?
    Astounding!

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 23:35.
  7. Origami Killer

Wasn’t Far Cry 3 on sale for a bit though? Would explain its top spot as I doubt people would of payed £60 for it.

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 23:39.
    • freezebug2

£60 is the sale price! :P

Not sure tbh, I just stabbed a guess at the £60 ballpark.

Comment posted on 09/01/2013 at 23:42.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

was £24 at one point cheaper than stores.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 00:10.
      • Peter Chapman
        Team TSA: Editor

yep it was £24 for a day in the 12 days sale, the same day Game discounted it to £22.50 though. Still, cheaper on PSN than anywhere else and conveniently on your hard disk. Wish I’d bought it now!

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 00:33.
      • ron_mcphatty
        Since: Sep 2008

Me too, missed out there! I don’t mean this as a criticism, a bit of enthusiasm for a good month of PSN sales isn’t a bad thing, but isn’t this chart a bit artificial given that most of those entries were heavily discounted? So Sony could engineer a diverse chart whenever they wanted with a generous sale.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 07:46.
  8. aerobes

Some really good games there too. While I didn’t like Far Cry 3, I’m happy it did well for Ubisoft. Any bomb these days seems to spell disaster unless you’re EA or Activision.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 00:08.
  9. KeRaSh

Well deserved spot for Stranger’s Wrath. Just finished Munch’s Oddysee and while one trophy was bugged out for me, I still enjoyed it thoroughly. The trophy bug keeps me from replaying the game with bad karma, though…
    There are quite a few games on those lists that I’d still like to play. Okami HD, The Unfinished Swan, Tokyo Jungle, Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 07:08.
    • freezebug2

The secret to making sure the trophies work in Munch’s Oddysee is to delete your config and game save files after each completed playthrough. That means all of them including auto save, quick save and manual save files. (just save them to USB stick or something if needed before deleting from HDD)
      It’s a stupid glitch but the only way to get some of those trophies like I re-grow nothing and the no wheelchair etc. The same probably applies to the karma level trophies which can all be done with 2 playthroughs.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 10:05.
      • KeRaSh

I got the Wheelchair trophy but not the I Regrow Nothing. The weird thing is, this was my very first playthrough with 100% karma. I also read that the approach you descriped is not a 100% sure fire method to get the trophy to pop according to reports on ps3trophies.org and I’m not going to do another 100% karma run (especially if it’s just a maby on the trophy).
        I have a theory as to why my trophy didn’t pop. At some point I chanted next to a shroom by accident and I didn’t just reload a previous save file, I restarted the level completely. My guess is that the game registered the regrown shroom but didn’t delete it after I restarted the level. I was going to do a bad karma run and then check off the rest of the trophies (I made saves at the start of every level for that) but another two full playthroughs is too much to bother with my limited gaming time. :(

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 10:23.
      • freezebug2

I’m pretty certain also that the I re-grow nothing requires a minimum amount of shrooms to be used throughout the playthrough. Pick up only as few shrooms as possible and possess bods only when essential….like the Big Bro’s and those geezers that empty their pockets into the Lulu fund etc.
        That was my strategy to get it to work anyway and the trophy did pop.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 10:37.
      • KeRaSh

I also got all the collection trophies during my run and spent quite a lot of shrooms to upgrade Mudokons and stuff like that but I’m not convinced that’s the reason it didn’t pop for me or other people. If something doesn’t work and nobody is exactly sure why people start coming up with wild theories. I probably won’t replay it anyways unless they release a fix that lets me replay the last save and get it to pop that way so I’m not even worrying about it.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 11:43.
  10. Bilbo_bobbins

Far Cry 3 or Just Cause 2 ? I’m looking at trying one of them and they both look good.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 08:25.
    • Klart
      Since: Jun 2010

Def. Far Cry 3.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 09:03.
    • KeRaSh

It depends what you are looking for. Far Cry 3 takes a more serious approach and has a good story with great voice work, while Just Cause 2 is good old over the top fun.

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 09:29.
    • duke
      Since: Apr 2011

Definitely Far Cry 3

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 09:47.
    • blast71
      Since: May 2012

I’m 26 hours into Just Cause 2 and still enjoying it

Comment posted on 10/01/2013 at 17:02.