Feature

What We Played #101: Black Ops II, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate & Lords of Football

The one without Greg.

I feel a little lost to be honest. I’ve never taken the reigns on What We Played before but I’m raring to go and hopefully I won’t let you down. If you’re wondering where Greg is, then you probably missed last week’s What We Played. As he explained, he’s taking a little break from the series he’s nurtured for a hundred entries. Apparently he’s very busy with work, but I reckon he’s off sipping cocktails on a beach somewhere, leaving me to slave away at What We Played until he returns.

However, despite his absence, or perhaps because of it, he’s trying to invest more time into the only game he ever seems to play – Mass Effect 3. Although he’s mentioned dipping into the title’s multiplayer every week since approximately the start of time, or at least since the game’s release, he claims that most of his “online play has been fairly casual”. Now he’s just hoping that EA don’t take the game’s servers down. Keep hoping Greg, I’m sure they’ll stay up if you just want it enough.

Tuffcub certainly does take pride in his hobbies.
Moving onto another staff member who’s pretty much obsessed with one game, Tuffcub has once again been spending his time with Killzone 3. This week’s a bit special though, as he’s achieved a “record breaking score of 24,588″. In fact he’s so proud of his accomplishment that he included a picture of said score.

He’d also like me to note that he’s been watching The Bay on Blu-ray. While this isn’t actually a game, he just wants to prove that he really does do things other than play Killzone 3. His thoughts on the film? “It’s quite a good film, if a little icky.” Even if it is a little icky, it’s good to know that he’s branching out a little.

Next we turn to a member of TSA’s Scottish contingent, Blair. He claims that he’s “too busy and boring these days” to get much gaming in, although he did find time for Black Ops II over the recent Double XP weekend. After his time playing he’s decided that the game is “probably the most fun I’ve ever had in multiplayer, or at least on par with Call of Duty 4,” some high praise indeed.

Much like Tuffcub he does seem a little proud of his in game accomplishments, joyfully proclaiming that “I prestiged twice!” Good for you Blair. Good for you.

Our next two entrants have shown me a simple test for working out how long someone’s been writing for TSA. If they still open an email with “Hi Kris!” instead of just dumping as much information as possible on me, they’ve probably not been here all that long. Both Dom and DanToo (as Greg has Christened him), the newest members of the TSA family, started their emails this way; obviously we haven’t beaten the manners out of them yet.

Anyway, just what have the newest members of the TSA family been playing? Well Dom is currently moving house, an activity that limits his gaming time somewhat. However, he has managed to find time for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, a game you may recall him discussing this time last week. Although he’s given up on his previous quest to get his Wii U save to transfer over to his 3DS, meaning that he’s now got a different character on each console, he’s rather pleased with the game’s Wii U update, saying that “the off-TV patch has made grinding for parts easier too!”

As for DanToo, he’s been sitting down with F1 2012. As I don’t follow F1 I have no idea what the following sentence means, but apparently he’s been “Driving with a Caterham at one of the highest difficulty at Monte Carlo, after 2 drive through pens and still finishing a respectable 6th, from 18th.” It seems Dan’s pleased with… whatever he’s achieved, so that’s something.

Away from racing, he’s been getting a few scares with Slender: The Arrival. However, it seems the series has lost some of its lustre, as he complains that “The game is so bloody difficult,” and that “It’s lost it’s scariness now, it’s simply annoying.” Given how well received the original Slender was, it’s a shame that they’ve tried simply added complexity to the game, rather than trying to really improve it.

I expect Aran is glad for the arrival of Dom and DanToo, bumping him up from “new guy” status. He’s been celebrating his new found position with a bit of Gravity Rush and Tomb Raider. He’s nearly completed Gravity Rush, and has found the story rather enjoyable. He also praised the way “the powers evolve when you upgrade them,” and “The build up from being pretty weak to becoming a super hero.”

As for Tomb Raider, he says that it “looks brilliant graphically and it manages to build an atmosphere of tension.” Much like Fatboy Slim he’s selected a Weapon of Choice, although in Aran’s case it’s Tomb Raider’s bow rather than… well I guess Fatboy Slim’s was music.

Next we come to the big boss, Peter. Yet again he’s teasing us with an embargoed game he can’t talk about, in this case Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Fortunately he’s also been playing some things he can talk about, primarily Guacamelee! on his Vita, as well as Fire Emblem and Mario Bros on his 3DS.

He also took a look at Lords of Football, but was less than favourable:

It’s supposed to make you micromanage a club’s (no official licenses here but editing is easy) affairs and players through most aspects of their lives. So you train players and play in matches but you also take control over visits to the pub or radio station interviews. It’s not very good though, 45 minutes was enough to realise that the tutorial prompts weren’t actually helping when they popped up two minutes after the thing they were informing me about had stopped happening.

If you’re interested in what I’ve been doing, the answer is not a lot. In fact I didn’t actually play anything until last night, when I finally got to play a bit of inFamous 2, courtesy of PlayStation Plus. I haven’t played much of it yet, but my main concern is the handling. It’s just so loose and floaty, and the free running mechanics have none of the freedom or satisfaction of the Assassin’s Creed series. I must say that blasting people with electricity is a lot of fun though.

Finally we come to Alex. Last week he began a story about a tiger called George. It was a little weird if I’m honest, largely centring on incontinence. However, it seems Alex has a larger tale to tell, as George returns this week:

George was scared. This wasn’t normal, but he’d committed. He was on the way. Embarrassed, confused, but determined. He’d address this, he had to, or this would all come crashing down.

It’s easy to project, to try and figure all this out by twisting the truth, but this was binary and resolute: and needed sorting.

George reached the bathroom. He sat, patiently, gazing directly ahead at the picture on the wall. It was his picture – he remembered buying it – but something seemed odd. Different. Blurred. Twisted.

He shook, as if disturbed momentarily.

He took a closer look at the picture. A photograph of a long lost bench straddling grass and tarmac, weathered but adroit, the pine standing the test of time. But it wasn’t just about the bench, and it was the figure sat upon it that caught George’s attention, for the first time.

So make of that what you will.

So that’s what we’ve all been up to, how about you? What’s been occupying your gaming this week?

1. Motalla
    Since: Dec 2011

Tuffcub, seeing you being so bussy with Killzone, why not throw a TSA-meet? A man of your caliber should be able to draw a crowd. I would sign up right away.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:02.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

I DID. NO ONE SIGNED UP.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:21.
      • Motalla
        Since: Dec 2011

I was on holiday then. I think I’ve even send you a PM to your site profile.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:58.
      • Germanos
        Since: May 2011

Last time we played you ditched the meet after an hour :P

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 11:50.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

I’m up for it if it’s set up

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 12:00.
  2. Taylor Made
    Since: Oct 2011

Platinum far cry 3 & trine 2, moved my plats to 21, quiet a proud! Sly cooper should be done tonight or over the weekend along with LA Noir.

Been playing mass effect, the first one. The controls are out dated & not as enjoyable as 2 & 3. Also soul sacrifice on vita awesome game cannot wait to get my evil on. You know when they say your gameplay carries on, I was thinking what about if you missed trophies cause of the demo & carried on!

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:09.
    • Taylor Made
      Since: Oct 2011

And now platinum sly cooper, that’s 22 plats :)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 19:17.
  3. McProley
    Since: Aug 2011

More Two World 2 for me this week. Edging ever so closer to the plat, only a handful of online trophies left and it shall be in good standing for a slowest fastest plat of about 2 years or so. Played 2 chapters of the Awakened DLC for Dead Space 3 last night with Youles after getting him back from being on loan to MJB (he’s all mine again, MWAHAHA!!)

On Vita i have started Guacamelee which is awesome, love the humour, my only critisism being that i cant remeber button combos for shit so this makes the game a little hard for me. I downloaded the Soul Sacrifice demo as well but have been saving that for when im back on shift tomorrow at work ;)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:17.
    • Youles
      Since: Feb 2011

I’m not some piece of meat for you to pimp out you know :p

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:28.
      • McProley
        Since: Aug 2011

haha! no, your not some piece of meat, your MY piecew of meat ;)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:37.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

What? Oh.. *puts way credit card*

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:37.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I take cash only.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:43.
      • The Lone Steven
        Never heard of him.

But i accept card payment. Youles may not remeber but i’m legally in charge of his “Bussiness meetings”. ;)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 11:10.
  4. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

I finished my co-op playthrough of Dead Space 3 with MJB which was awesome, although the ending (as with a lot of games) was pretty average/predictable. Last night I completed the first two chapters of the Awakened DLC with McProley….it’s a bit “cheap” (similar to the DS2 DLC) that it mostly re-uses levels from the main campaign, just with a few visual alterations. It also feels like it could have been chopped from the main story since it continues the story (God knows why you shouldn’t get the entire story for your £40), but either way it’s more Dead Space so I’m pretty happy.

I’ve not dared returned to the barrel and chest looting Boreshock Infinite…..instead I’ve been enjoying Guacamelee which is just a lot of fun! Although simple the combat can get complicated and a few of the battles are a decent enough challenge. I hope to finish it today.

I also played a few Vita demos that I had downloaded ages ago….Retro City Rampage that I couldn’t stand….there’s a reason games are made with the best possible visuals these days, and I did not find it nostaglic. I really enjoyed Urban Trial Freestyle and will probably pick this up on Vita, although it’s rather annoying you don’t get the PS3 version too, as you seem to with most other games of that pricing.

Finally I’m still playing a lot of New Star Soccer on iOS….it’s so addicitive and I really want to be called up to the England squad, and win the league.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:24.
    • freezebug2

“Boreshock Infinate”……..Oh dear!
      Someone’s user comment on my XMB is “Bioshock Infinace”

Just made me think of how marmite some games can be. Never tried the game but I don’t think it’d be my cup of tbh.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:48.
      • freezebug2

*my cup of tea tbh* pffft!

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:49.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I really want to like it, but I just haven’t enjoyed it so far. I will continue (when I can bring myself to return to it) a bit further to ensure I’ve given it a fair chance, or to see if it improves.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:01.
  5. Eldave0
    andUandU

Not a huge amount of gaming for me this week unfortunately (family birthdays, babies refusing to sleep, etc).

Met up with some mates Friday night however for a GameCube evening, which was ace. Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Timesplitters 2 – good times :-)
    I also fired up my old N64 last night and started to play through GoldenEye (for approximately the millionth time). The visuals/controls definitely took some getting used to but the nostalgia levels were off the charts and I’m looking forward to hitting up some local multiplayer over the weekend – Goldengun mode FTW.
    Fingers crossed my Dreamcast arrives in the post today as I’ve dusted off my copies of Resi2 and Powerstone in preparation :D

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:42.
  6. ron_mcphatty
    Since: Sep 2008

More Metal Gear for me. I finished 4 last week (i’ll save my poorly worded laudings of the incredible story for the forum where they can be safely ignored!), I’ve dived back in for a Big Boss Emblem Run with a view to getting the platinum one day. It’s actually brilliant fun to take the precise, stealthy, perfectionist approach to the game as it stops being so immersive and becomes something of an exercise in beating a very tricky string of set pieces. Puzzling your way through sneaking around particular gangs of soldiers, or going for head shots accurately several times in a row from the back of a bike become real challenges and the sense of accomplishment of outwitting the game after billions of reloads is genuinely satisfying. Definitely worth a go, as long as you’ve got nothing else to play :)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 09:51.
  7. KeRaSh

Didn’t play much this week. A bit of 3D Dot Game Hero but that was it… What a sad week for gaming for me. ^^

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:03.
  8. element666
    Since: Mar 2012

I actually managed to finish bioshock infinite after being stuck at the end for what seemed like forever,and wasn’t even that impressed with the ending,though that could be as I just got so damn irritated after being stuck lol. Also been playing far cry 3 which I’m loving and started sly thieves in time.
    On the vita it’s been guacamelee and NFS most wanted :-)

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:12.
  9. TSBonyman

Having finished ME1, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite i was yearning for another good game so i picked up Dead Space 3. I gave up on that after a few hours though as i just wasn’t feeling it and jumped into another playthrough of ME2 instead, much more satisfying.
    Also i’ve been chipping away at WRC on the Vita and dipping into Angry Birds. And i made another few attempts to get past the third levels in both Astral Trip and Everyday Shooter – in vain – but i still enjoy dipping into them now and again.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:26.
  10. The Lone Steven
    Never heard of him.

It was foretold that he would play it again. After he had watched the entire LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit, when he doesn’t comment that much on TSA. He has played Demon Souls. I shall describe my experience of it. Okay, that was fair. Damnit, damnit F**K YOU YOU CHEATING PIECE OF SH*T! WALLS ARE MEANT TO BE SOLID! ARGH!

The next session

F*CK!!

The session after that.

*TV and PS3 get thrown out the window*

Apart from that, tis good and i’m playing as the royalty class. Plan on doing a battlemage. Tried using a spear, twas crap so i may just cap the strength off at 20 and dump everything else into magic related stats. Provided the game hasn’t defeated my will to play it.

Comment posted on 19/04/2013 at 10:35.