Call Of Duty: Ghosts Confirmed at 1080p Natively On PS4, 720p On Xbox One

Optimised for 60 frames per second.

Infinity Ward’s Mark Rubin has confirmed, via the twitlonger service that Call of Duty: Ghosts will be running at a higher resolution on PS4, as it runs at 1080p natively, while the Xbox One version will be upscaled to 1080p from a 720p resolution.

codres

There’s no reason for the difference, other than Rubin saying that they “optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both”, so it likely wasn’t reaching 60 frames per second with the Xbox One version at 1080p.

Hopefully this doesn’t continue into the next generation – I’d expect all games to support 1080p natively, as that’s something this generation should have overcome.

1. Spence1115

So Microsoft bought pretty much all the advertising rights for Call of Duty Ghosts, and timed DLC etc, but still have the graphically inferior version? Hah!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:10.
    • OnlineAssassinOA
      Since: Jun 2012

Yeah it is a bit ironic.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:26.
  2. Vallon
    Since: Sep 2013

That’s quite a big deal for Microsoft considering CoD is such a huge franchise… People will jump on this to bash the xbone – I’m just hoping developers don’t go the easy route and “downgrade” games on PS4 – use the power they have available.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:15.
    • boeboe
      Since: Feb 2013

Proof that they’re not doing that. Myth busted!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:51.
      • Vallon
        Since: Sep 2013

Definitely and a real positive step IMO :)

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:17.
  3. lambchop
    Since: Aug 2013

oh dear!

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 19:54.
  4. DarkLord
    Since: Oct 2013

Pretty much confirms what all developers have said. PS4 is approx 50% more powerful than the Xbox One at the end of the day. I can’t see this gen panning out any other way. Microsoft got the specs VERY wrong on the Xbox one.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:27.
    • DarkLord
      Since: Oct 2013

Identical story emerging on Battlefield4.

PS4 version’s advantages over the Xbox One version thus far

– Higher resolution (900p vs 720p)
      – Ambient Occlusion
      – Self Shadowing
      – Certain Motion Blur effects
      – Certain Depth of Field effects
      – More consistent frame rate
      – Better Anti Aliasing
      – More accurate IQ and colour palette (similar to the PC version)

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 23:09.
      • Bilbo_bobbins

Xbox One will have AO included in the final game.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 12:10.
  5. TSBonyman

Wait for it, the next XB1 advert will just show a guy enjoying his cds..
    There you go, i managed to sleight both Sony and Microsoft in one go! ;)

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:35.
    • blast71
      Since: May 2012

…whilst changing tracks waving his arms like a lunatic. ;)

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:42.
  6. beeje13
    Since: Jan 2010

So PS4 pumps out 44% more pixels each frame. I know there’s a 50% more powerful gpu but I honestly didn’t think it would scale that much, 20% at most….

The IGN article has basically gone into meltdown as I type.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:44.
    • Kennykazey
      Since: Mar 2010

1280×720=921600
      1920×1080=2073600

2073600/921600=2.25

That’s 125% more by my midnight calculations, but my math is like Top Gear math, if it sounds good it must be right even if it’s factually wrong. May I ask how you got your number, just to get an idea of what’s right?

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 22:52.
      • bunimomike

I think beeje was probably caught up on the difference between 720p and 900p. I remember working out the 720p/1080p pixels per image and finding out 1080p was over two million pixels staggered me at first.

It’s one hell of a difference and the coming months will be interesting as we’ll see Microsoft push very hard to close that gap.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 23:05.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

Ooops, I worked out using the right numbers, BUT it turns out I worked out that 720p’s pixel count is 44% of 1080p’s.

125% Indeed. Staggering.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 18:27.
  7. Voolar
    Since: Mar 2009

I’ve watched the PS4 footage of COD:Ghosts over at IGN and I had to check it twice because the textures looked like COD4 (in it’s defence I had just been watching video of KZ Shadow Fall).

If the XB1 can’t push that fugly piece of crap more than 720p without frame rate hits, there must be a serious problem.

Honestly, I lolled…

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 20:54.
  8. gazzagb
    Master of speling mitakse

As long as it runs a solid 60fps, I don’t think this will hurt the Xbone too much. People play COD for the fast paced gameplay, not pretty graphics.

I think it’s more worrying that as a whole, the Xbone can’t seem to run a non-exclusive game at 1080p 60fps. The game is an AAA with millions of dollars thrown behind it – I can’t see smaller studios being able to dedicate the time and money to optimise their game for the Xbone if the PS4 can handle it fine. I’m sure though that as the generation moves along, Devs will become more familiar with the hardware, but it’s not a great start if Devs are having trouble with one console and not the other.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 21:01.
  9. skibadee
    Since: Oct 2009

what was those last few devs saying there equal systems? high on MS kool aid by the looks of it.

Comment posted on 30/10/2013 at 22:39.
  10. monkeyspoon

The more people know about XB1s inferiority the better.

Comment posted on 31/10/2013 at 00:07.