Over One Million People Now Own A PS4

In just 24 hours.

Sales of Sony’s latest gaming console, the PlayStation 4, surpassed one million in just 24 hours. That’s really impressive, considering that it’s only out in one region – the United States and Canada – and that’s “sold through” to consumers, rather than just shipped to stores.

The hype surrounding the launch had been huge, although the fact that Sony had been telling people to pre-order to not miss out might have had something to do with the phenomenal day one sales.

As the PS4 becomes available in Europe from the 29th of November, Sony should expect even more day one sales – perhaps another million if everything goes smoothly – and following on from that, they’ll have a boost in sales when the next shipments arrive.

Also worth noting is that the PS4 will have two further launches, in Asian territories in December and then Japan in February. This huge install base is fantastic, as it means guaranteed support from third party publishers.

All eyes on Microsoft’s worldwide Xbox One launch on Friday, then.

Source: Press Release

Read more: # #
  1. Blair Inglis
    hisnameisblair

And not one of them is me…

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 11:23.
  2. Kamokazi-UK
    Since: Sep 2009

Personalty i’m chomping at the bit to get mine. Looking forward to my one-to-one at my local Game this week to have a bit of a go at the system and a game or two.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 11:25.
  3. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

I understand Sony releasing it in USA first, to try and gain a grip in Xbox territory before One is released. But knowing a million people are using theirs, and we have to wait almost two weeks… It sucks.

Thank God I’ve got a backlog of apocalyptic dimensions to get through.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:00.
    • Andrewww
      Since: Jan 2010

Don’t understand that at all, would have released it in Switzerland first… ;o)
      I’ve got no chance having my backlog gone by then, anyway.
      And, with PS+ giving me games on three consoles, how will I cope…? :o)

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:06.
      • Kennykazey
        Since: Mar 2010

I’m starting to have a love/hate relationship with Plus, as it’s feeding my backlog.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:22.
  4. double-o-dave
    Since: Nov 2008

Oh yeah, I’ve heard something about Microsoft releasing a new console. That does ring a bell.
    Anyway, less than 2 weeks now!

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:01.
  5. wonkey-willy
    Since: Jan 2010

glad i held off of day one release,after reports of hdmi problems..
    i doubt it wont be the only fault so im waiting for the creases to be ironed out.
    but i do think ps4 is going to be my console of choice ,that said i probably will pick up a xbone later next year.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:01.
    • cam the man

Sony gave figure of 0.4% as the number of consoles they expect to have problems, way below the average for brand new electrical goods. As of yesterday the number with reported faults was below that.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:34.
  6. The Von Braun
    Since: Oct 2012

Outstanding start, lets hope Sony can keep the momentum going.

With so many units ‘out in the wild’, we can i guess, get a more realistic idea of just how ‘bad’ the reported hardware failures are (HDMI issues, rubber coming off sticks etc) rather than the usual media hyping up, just to get site traffic approach (and not refering to here either).

Sony now just need all those existing PS4 owners to start buying games, extra joypads etc, as i believe that’s where they’ll make the money, as console still being sold at a loss.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:03.
    • SYY2127

From what I remember, I think Sony is actually selling the PS4 at a profit.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 14:30.
      • Blair Inglis
        hisnameisblair

About $100 on each system I believe.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 15:11.
      • ghost5
        Since: Oct 2008

I thought they made a loss of around 20 on every console where as Microsoft made a profit

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 17:25.
      • bunimomike

Was it Andrew House who mentioned them making back the slight loss on each console with the first purchase of a game. If that’s the case, that’s stunning compared to last time around.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 19:03.
      • beeje13
        Since: Jan 2010

Eurogamer was told by a Sony exec they will lose $60 per console. That may not hold true for all territories though. PS+ and 1 first party game should break that even straight away.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 21:16.
  7. DividSmythe
    Since: May 2012

Wow that’s far more than I expected. Here’s hoping for at least 2 million after Xmas.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:13.
    • bunimomike

Analysts and Sony reckon they’re on track for five million by March. A lovely start.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:17.
      • DividSmythe
        Since: May 2012

That would be great. 5 million consoles in 4 monthsish. Here’s hoping.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:37.
  8. matthangzhou
    Since: Sep 2010

Great start. Can’t wait to get my hands on mine. My first launch day console :-)

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 12:34.
  9. bigchrissyc
    Since: Aug 2013

Excellent news for Sony. It will be interesting to see what numbers the Xbone brings in as in theory its releasing in more Countries, at first at least. These 12 days need to go fast now!

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:05.
  10. cam the man

Even more impressive as it’s north america, a Xbox stronghold.
    I wonder how many are winging their way back to Asia?

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 13:37.
    • Flightx

I know of a couple that wont. As with the ps3 launch there have been a couple of mental xbox fanboys buying and then destroying ps4s on youtube. Quite funny really

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 14:18.
      • bigchrissyc
        Since: Aug 2013

Oh dear. Do they not get that they still have to pay Sony, even if they destroy them. Douchebags.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 14:54.
      • mrfodder

But, it costs Sony money since sold at loss.

Comment posted on 17/11/2013 at 19:01.
      • cam the man

I read a report over the weekend which said after examining the parts Sony could be making up to $80 per console.

Comment posted on 18/11/2013 at 09:59.