We’re well and truly in the build up to E3 now, with so many game teasers, pre-E3 announcements and reveals, and a general hubbub in the news. For many of you, the fact that Sony are changing the format of their press conference will be the most interesting part of this, as it seems they’re focussing on games announced very early in their development as opposed to continuing to gaze off into the distance. Certainly, a slower, less breathless pace is something I will welcome.
Here’s some more of the big headlines from the last few days:
In the News This Week
- EA let slip the number of Xbox Ones sold is under 30 million, but Microsoft say that’s inaccurate
- Sony’s E3 press conference will focus on just four exclusive games
- Bethesda have been teasing Rage a lot
- Battlefield V’s reveal date has been uncovered
- Belgium is looking for criminal prosecutions against Valve, EA & Blizzard over loot boxes
- PaRappa the Rapper on PS4 is actually a PSP emulation
- Sony is “not profiting” from the pink Mercy skin for charity
- Nolan North will receive a special award from BAFTA
- Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate announced for Nintendo Switch
- Star Trek Bridge Crew is getting The Next Generation DLC this month
- Nintendo reveal more about Nintendo Switch Online
Games in Review
It was a pretty hefty week for reviews, so here’s what’s hot and what’s not:
- Laser League – PS4, XBO, PC – 9/10
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire – PC – 9/10
- Membrane – Switch – 8/10
- Forgotton Anne – PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Project Nimbus: Code Mirai – PS4, PC – 7/10
- Trailblazers – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 5/10
- Robocraft Infinity – XBO – 5/10
- Raging Justice – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 5/10
- AO International Tennis – PS4, XBO, PC – 4/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
With a shortened week from the bank holiday and so many games in review, there wasn’t much space for other features this week. Even so, Dom delved into One Piece: Pirate Warrior 3 Deluxe Edition on Nintendo Switch, which he says is fast becoming a new home for Musou games, while Dave returned to Dragon’s Crown Pro on PS4, which looks prettier and sounds more epic, but is just the same game.
We enjoyed Laser League so much that we decided to do a bit of streaming with Dave and I teaming up online:
And finally, What We Played featured Pillars of Eternity II, Laser League & Destiny 2
Let’s check in with the community this week:
- Outside of eating ice cream in a cinema for Infinity War, MrYd stuck to his diet of Killing Floor 2, Ni no Kuni 2 and Monster Hunter World.
- The good weather saw TSBonyman transform into the superhero Lawnmower Man, before reading Ready Player One, and playing beyond: Two Souls for the third time and Bloodborne.
- It’s back to Far Cry 5 for tactical20, but he’d only rate it a 6/10
- JR. is also playing Far Cry 5 and finding that it doesn’t wow him quite as much as Far Cry 3 did.
- Jag had a lot of fun in reaching the God of War platinum, before turning his attention to a Survivor playthrough of Rise of the Tomb Raider and Batman: Enemy Within
- And it’s also the path to the God of War platinum for gernboes, who also finished Hue and VA-11 Hall-A (AKA Valhalla) on PS Vita.
If you want to be included in this section, make sure to comment on What We Played of a Friday evening.
The Week Ahead
Half way through May and the coming week is mainly about those endless Nintendo Switch ports:
- Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time – PS4, XBO, PC – 15/05
- Wizard of Legend – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 15/05
- Dragon’s Crown Pro – PS4 – 15/05
- Forgotton Anne – PS4, XBO, PC – 15/05
- Gonner – PS4 – 15/05
- Chasers: Nightwar – Switch – 15/05
- The Banner Saga – Switch – 17/05
- Fox n Forests – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 17/05
- Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles – Switch – 17/05
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Editions – Switch – 18/05
- Little Nightmares: Complete Editions – Switch – 18/05
Enjoy the weekend and we’ll catch you next week!