While some are missing out due to various degrees of skullduggery, I’m sure there’s an awful lot of you that are now settling in for your first weekend of
next-gen current gen gaming. Have you rinsed every droplet of joy from Astro’s Playroom yet? Swung through New York City as the other Spider-Man? Are you venturing into the painful world of Demon’s Souls? Or perhaps it’s one of the many cross-gen and cross-platform releases that has caught your eye?
Whatever you have planned this weekend, I hope you have a great time, but if you’re already here, let’s get stuck straight into our weekly round up!
In the News This Week
- Amazon promise to “put it right” after reports of missing PS5 deliveries other skullduggery
- IO Interactive announce Project 007 – They’re making a James Bond game!
- The PlayStation 5 download queue bug has a fix, details here
- Xbox exclusive shooter CrossfireX has been delayed to 2021
- Far Cry 6 will be out in May, according to the Microsoft Store
- Star Wars: Squadrons will be getting two new content drops, including map and fighters
- University of Oxford study finds video games are ‘good for well-being’
- Capcom hack: Information on 350,000 people stolen along with sales and financial reports
- [UPDATE] THQ Nordic say the TimeSplitters 2 leak was a joke
And both Sony and Microsoft have kicked off their digital sales on the PlayStation and Microsoft stores:
- The PS Store Black Friday sale is now on – Save on PS Plus, PS Now, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU Part II & more
- The Xbox Black Friday sale is now on – Save on Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Game Pass Ultimate & more
Games in Review
We’ve continued to dive into a wide range of games for review, including passing our final judgements on some of the biggest launch titles for the new generation:
- Tetris Effect: Connected – XSX – 10/10
- Demon’s Souls – PS5 – 9/10
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – NSW – 9/10
- NBA 2K21 Next-Gen – PS4, XSX – 9/10
- Observer: System Redux – PS5, XSX, PC – 9/10
- Oceanhorn 2: Knights of the Lost Realm – NSW, iOS – 8/10
- Sniper Elite 4 (Switch) – NSW – 8/10
- Cardpocalypse – PS4, XBO, NSW, PC, iOS – 8/10
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War – PS5, XSX, PS4, XBO, PC – 7/10
- Bubble Bobble 4 – PS4, NSW – 6/10
- Godfall – PS5, PC – 5/10
And we had a couple hardware reviews as well:
While all the new consoles are hogging the spotlight, it’s easy to forget that they’re not the only vision for the future of gaming. One year ago, almost to the day, Google Stadia launched and so Dom looked back at the Stadia’s first year on the market and what its future might hold.
Finally, What We Played featured lots of Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 gaming with Demon’s Souls, Astro’s Playroom & Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
Katamari Damacy Reroll has rolled onto PS4 and Xbox One
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd’s next-gen gaming got underway with the arrival of his… PS4 Camera Adapter! So he’s basically just played exactly the same as last week, with the addition of Rock Band 4, because it was on sale.
- TSBonyman is holding out on the PS5 and is more than happy to keep on playing No Man’s Sky, Dreams and Bloodborne.
- Picking up an EA Play pass for the year, hornet1990 has sunk his teeth into Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
- Crazy_Del’s PS5 arrived yesterday (one day late), so he’s been having fun setting that up after a week of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on PS4.
- Dan Jones dove into his PS+ back catalogue for some “bloody hell it’s difficult” Bloodborne.
- And it felt like Christmas came early for Andrewww when he unwrapped his PS5 and made sure it was working OK by playing… Alien: Isolation. Then Astro Bot, then Bugsnax (which he’s not sure will last long on the SSD), and then Demon’s Souls. He loves the new controller, but reckons the PS5 UI is a mess.
And with all of that out of the way, I’ll let you crack on with your weekends! Have fun gaming!