It’s a strange time within the games industry, and the world at large. While on the one hand there’s the countless big game releases demanding our attention and excitement, there’s also the horror of what we’re seeing unfold in Ukraine. It’s so wide-reaching that even video game companies are taking whatever actions they can to join the wide-ranging sanctions against Russia and Belarus. Their impact might be small, in the grand scheme of things, but are still important.
Naturally, as we round-up all the gaming news and reviews from the past week, these headlines dominate.
In the News This Week
- Microsoft and EA suspend sales and services in Russia in response to Ukraine invasion
- CD Projekt Red suspends sales in Russia and Belarus
- Stalker 2 development on hold amid Russian invasion of Ukraine
- Ukraine calls on Xbox and PlayStation to block Russian gamers
- Returnal studio’s next PlayStation exclusive will be a new IP
- Resident Evil 2, 3 and 7 Biohazard are getting free PS5 & Xbox Series X|S upgrades this year
- Why is Babylon’s Fall struggling on release day?
- Ghostwire Tokyo free Prelude chapter available on PlayStation
- Super Smash Bros officially pulled from EVO
Games in Review
It was a week of big reviews and releases, with Gran Turismo 7 leading the way and Triangle Strategy on Nintendo Switch, both of which are excellent. We also revisited For Honor after its fifth anniversary, and sampled Assetto Corsa’s enhanced release on PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.
- Gran Turismo 7 – PS5, PS4 – 9/10 (Video Review)
- Triangle Strategy – NSW – 9/10
- For Honor 2022 Re-review – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 9/10
- Assetto Corsa Competizione Gen9 – PS5, XSX|S – 8/10
- Chocobo GP – NSW – 5/10
- Destiny 2: The Witch Queen – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – Review In Progress
Our lone hardware review will be high up on the priorities list for many PS5 owners:
- Corsair MP600 PRO LPX SSD – PS5, PC – 9/10
Away from the reviews mill, I hopped into a few games for previews. Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands is out later in March, and it’s shaping up to be another fine D&D-esque dose of Borderlands action, while Kirby and the Forgotten Land is jumping into full 3D action for the first time with ease.
With Gran Turismo 7 another big cross-gen release on PlayStation, I also took the time to compare the game across the generations, as well as dive into the game’s limited implementation of ray tracing.
Nic looked back on last weekend’s Pokémon Go Tour Johto to ask if it was worth it?
Finally, What We Played featured GT7, Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West.
See the Kirby and the Forgotten Land overview trailer
And finally for this round-up, we come to… you!
- Camdaz has picked up GT7, Assetto Corsa Competizione and GRID Legends, but hates that he doesn’t have enough hours in the day to play them all!
- Andrewww played This War of Mine, a game that’s given some perspective into the struggle that many civilians are and could soon be facing in Ukraine. “It’s doing the opposite of all those CoD games, it’s not glorifying war but showing the drastic reality of it, and that is a very good thing, especially now.”
- On some recommendations last week, tactical20 picked up Hot Wheels Unleashed for his son, and Cyberpunk 2077 as his grown up game.
- And willbuchanan grabbed the platinum for ARK: Survival Evolved before continuing to play Lego Worlds and Everybody’s Golf.
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. Have a fun weekend, try not to get blown over if you’re heading outside, and we’ll catch you again next week.