Heavy Rain Director's Cut On The Way

Loads of stuff for not many dollars.

Fans of immersive, engaging narrative are being spoiled by today’s news. Following on from the half-reveal of the next Alan Wake, we have news of a retail refresh for Heavy Rain.

The Director’s Cut version of the game will go on sale in the US next week for just thirty of your newfangled colonial dollars. That’s less than a third of a Benjamin, if those rappers taught me anything about maths.

It features the game, of course, as well as a plethora of extra content. The Taxidermist DLC, official score (which is brilliant) and the eight “making of” videos are probably highlights for most people. There will also be three dynamic themes, 15 new pieces of concept art, two bonus trailers and a new menu front end that’s fully Move compatible.

There’s no word of a UK/EU release as yet but hopefully it sells strongly in the US and we get to see it here too. The more people that get to play this kind of game, the better.

Source: CVG

1. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

I don’t know why this is a ‘directors cut’ unless the game itself has changed. ALl they’ve done is added a few trailers to the orginal collectors edition.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 09:34.
    • Harm Rehal
      Since: Sep 2009

The Taxidermist DLC and one dynamic theme came with the Special Edition, so that’s nothing new. ALL the trailers can be downloaded from the US PSN store for FREE. So what’s left, dynamic themes and some pictures? I hardly call this a ‘directors cut’. If the storyline has changed then yes it’s a DC BUT unfortunately it hasn’t.
      Quantic Dreams and David Cage could have done so much more to call this a DC. If they’d included a new storyline explaining the missing holes that the original version lacked, then they could have named it a DC and probably worth buying/renting. *sighs*

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:02.
      • Harm Rehal
        Since: Sep 2009

Woops, I meant to right this as a separate post and not a reply to TC’s comment.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:04.
  2. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

I do hate getting “penalised” for buying games at launch for £39.99, for the later purchasers to get more for less. I might stop buying games, then buy all the re-releases with all the DLC such as RDR, LA Noire, New Vegas, Heavy Rain, Borderlands, GTAIV, Fallout 3, CoD4….

Yes, I’m bitter.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 09:41.
    • Forrest_01

I agree – However, unlike those that you have mentioned above (apart from Heavy Rain of course), it seems you are getting a lot less bang for your buck with this particular re-release.

Very personal view of course, but the only thing i would be interested in of the above would be the taxidermist DLC. I don’t think it’s worth picking up this version just for that!

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:06.
      • Youles
        Since: Feb 2011

I have the Collectors Edition so have most of this content exc. the making of (I think), so my rant may seem a little unnecessary, however its the principle. You are right though, this one doesn’t seem as good as the other I’ve mentioned.

Same as with CDs – true fans usually can’t wait to get their hands on an album at release, then it gets re-released just months later with bonus tracks etc.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:25.
      • Forrest_01

Yup, exactly why i have 2 copies of Pendulum’s Hold Your Colour & 2 copies of all of The Prodigy’s albums bar the Fat Of The Land.

Why they can’t just pop additional tracks on their next album is beyond me! :S

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 18:32.
    • bacon_nuts
      Since: Mar 2011

I agree, reminded me of this, it’s similar i think

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 18:21.
  3. Deathbrin

What the hell? They basically added nothing of value?! (since the DLC and soundtrack were included in the CE)

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:11.
  4. Erroneus
    Wanted "Trophy Hunter" but was too late.

Not much of a DC, but still a brilliant game, my GOTY of 2010. Hopefully more people will take notice of HR and if not buy this edition, then find the original game cheap.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:14.
  5. Geffdof23
    Since: Mar 2010

I only recently started playing heavy rain a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed when I saw the headline but having read the article I think the version I’m currently playing will be virtually the same.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:15.
  6. MayContainEvil
    Since: Feb 2011

I already have the dlc and I can get the score off the PSN. Not much of a directors cut in my opinion, quite disappointing. It’s obviously just a cash grab…

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:21.
  7. Youles
    Since: Feb 2011

I wonder if the Move element will be on-disc….might be worth buying just to save the 3gb install!

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:44.
  8. colmshan1990
    Since: Apr 2009

3rd release of the same game? Street Fighter territory!
    It’s not a director’s cut without the story changing.
    So unless that’s a future announcement, this is the worst ‘complete’ edition yet.
    I got my copy of Heavy Rain new for €15. I haven’t bought any of the stuff included in this edition yet, but if and when I do, it’ll cost less than this.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 10:57.
  9. JBoo
    Banned
    Since: Oct 2011

This comment is hidden.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 11:03.
  10. shields_t
    Since: Oct 2008

What a load of poop, apologies Peter but I can’t really understand the appeal given the game can be picked up for about 15 quid now, the Taxidermist is £4.99 I think and the soundtrack can be picked up for £7.99 on iTunes.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 11:42.
    • shields_t
      Since: Oct 2008

Maybe it’s the “Marketing Director’s Cut”

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 11:43.
      • colossalblue
        Team TSA: Editor

LOL.
        I love that.

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 13:38.
      • Kev

Best post of the year. There should be a prize!

Comment posted on 04/11/2011 at 18:41.
      • Ben
        Friendly
        Since: Mar 2009

Well put, great comment.

Comment posted on 06/11/2011 at 16:34.