Opinion

Developer: "Lack Of Trophies Is Probably The Single Biggest Turn-off For Most Gamers"

The truth about your trophies.

Futurlab’s critically acclaimed Velocity doesn’t come with standard OS-level trophies, but studio head James Marsden wishes it did. Although the developers put their own achievements into the game, they don’t contribute towards your overall PSN trophy count.

And sadly, for some, that’s enough to put buyers off.

Velocity scored a 10/10 here, and was made available for free as part of the PS Plus subscription.
“Lack of trophies in minis is probably the single biggest turn-off for most gamers,” said Marsden to TheSixthAxis today. “At least that’s the impression we get from feedback on our games.”

And it’s not the only thing missing from minis, the PSP/PS Vita/PS3 cross-platform range of smaller, cheaper but no less valid download titles that have included some of the purest gameplay experiences out there.

“The second most asked for feature of minis is high scores / networking ability,” James said.

“Also demos,” he adds. “If all three of these things were included in minis, it would make sales rocket, as there are some gems on minis, and perfect for the PlayStation Vita.”

We ask whether Futurlab have asked that Sony change their policies with regards to the somewhat crippled capabilities of the platform. “Yes,” he replies, “but account managers only have so much say on the direction of the platforms they operate on.”

Would they patch up their games to include online play and trophies if SCE changed the rules?

“Definitely.”

“In my opinion,” adds Marsden, “MotorStorm:RC is the first example of what a PS Vita game should be, as it suits a portable device and is able to use the connected features to its advantage.”

“If there were any developments made to the minis platform, it should be toward the mold of what MotorStorm:RC achieved.”

Update: our full interview is now live.

1. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

As it’s a game ideally suited to the core I can see what they’re saying regarding Trophies & titles like this, personally I don’t give a feck about Trophies and even wish I could disable them altogether.

Anyone who doesn’t play a truly amazing game like Velocity because it doesn’t have Trophies would strike me as a bit odd & of questionable merit to be called a gamer.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:04.
    • Kris Lipscombe
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Mar 2009

I play a game because it’s fun and I think it’s worth buying, regardless of features.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:11.
    • Forrest_01

Consider me a bit odd & of questionable merit to be called a gamer then i guess! :S

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:16.
      • Alex C
        One for all.

It’s an interesting point – though. By not playing a game like Velocity purely because there’s no trophies… well, you know, it just feels a bit odd.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:17.
      • Forrest_01

I should point out that it’s not just velocity, it’s minis as a whole. I have heard that velocity is great & would probably play it in a second if it became a full-blown PSN title (with trophies & so forth)…. Price depending of course, as it’s quite well known that i am a stingy git!

It’s kinda weird actually & i can’t really explain it myself tbh – Some games just feel a bit ‘lifeless’ to me without trophies. I guess i just like that recognition that i have done something right/well. Like a pat on the back from the virtual god of gaming that lets me know he is there & is impressed with my work.

I’m such a narcissist!!

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:52.
      • Forrest_01

In a small way it also kinda feels a bit like a step back when a game doesn’t have trophies now, but i guess that is just my perceptions being spoiled by the inclusion of trophies over the past few years.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:54.
    • skibadee
      Since: Oct 2009

Trophies are part of PSN so games without them feel like there missing something to me.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 20:18.
  2. XisTG

Well said.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:04.
  3. AcidCrashX

I must admit I’ve had Velocity on my PS3 for a few weeks now and I haven’t booted it up yet.. lack of trophies aren’t the reason that has happened but it definitely was a reason i picked something else.

I do agree with James though, Network play, demos and trophies would definitely improve the minis service.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:06.
  4. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

I do like Trophies, but Velocity is still a great game. He totally does have a valid point though.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:21.
  5. recurv
    Since: Apr 2010

Just to follow up on this a little. When I said MS:RC is the first example of what a PS Vita game should be, what I actually meant was it’s the first and best example of what a modern core handheld title should be – at least one that will make the platform popular. It uses social features brilliantly, and it’s about the precision control.

MS:RC is a game that you cannot achieve on iOS, simply because of the level of precision required – one of the most important ingredients that the core market responds to.

It’s something we have in Velocity – twitch mechanics play such a large part in creating the insatiably addictive experience for a core gamer.

2p

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:24.
  6. Jim Hargreaves

It definitely affects the way I approach console titles. MotorStorm RC was somewhat of a revolution for me personally; a fairly low-price package with a decent list of trophies and platinum to boot.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:25.
  7. Gingerballs1
    Since: Jun 2012

totally agree with the man ive left many a game to rot on the hard drive to eventually be deleted because of this especially all the minis with plus true i am a bit odd & of questionable merit but definitely a gamer

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:31.
  8. Faulker
    Since: Jun 2010

Yeah, I can see what he is saying. A lot of gamers only care about achievements, however if the game is good then it shouldn’t matter. I think the whole trophy system is silly, not to mention we don’t get achievements for watching a film or series or reading a book.

I don’t collect trophies any more because if you do, you don’t play the game the way you want to. You play it the way the trophies want you to (i.e. forcing you to play on hard mode, searching every nook and corner for collectibles, replaying areas with low level enemies just to get the ‘kill 1k enemies of this kind with this ability’x6 trophy; force you onto multiplayer and force you to play 100 matches etc.) because let’s face it; when you are collecting trophies getting them as fast and as easily as possible is your main objective. This in turn in my opinion degrades your experience with a game and forbids you from truly enjoy it.

I mean I can’t even count how many times I was sitting in front of the TV, laptop on the table with a trophy guide open, wasting hours and hours grinding to platinum FF13 and others. It simply wasn’t fun, it was a chore and when a game turns into a chore, it’s no longer a game.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:31.
    • cam the man

I’m with you. I used to try and get every trophy but, as you say, it gets boring and you waste a load of time. If I’ve got to the end of a game and there’s a few trophies left, and it’s not going to take too long, I will give it a go.
      I’ve never looked at a games trophy list before deciding to buy.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:44.
  9. jimmy-google

There are more than enough games to play so there is always another option with trophies. They’ve become annoyingly addictive. It’s not a case of not playing velocity because a crap game had trophies, time is limited so it’s easy to prioritise a good game with trophies over a mini without them. I’m still finding room to fit in playing dead space 2 and borderlands let alone some of this years releases.

Having trophies is such a basic feature now, for a game not to have it makes it appear a devalued game, as doors no online options.

Trophies have made me replay games and play them different but is has also destroyed something in games as well.

What i love most about them is that it’s like my personal history of games. I can see how my tastes have changed. It’s a gaming identity. Looking through my trophy list is like looking through a photo album, each one has a memory attached to it.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:37.
  10. OneShotWook
    Since: Jun 2010

My copy of Mgs 4 is still waiting for that trophy patch for another playthrough.

Comment posted on 11/06/2012 at 17:37.