Surprise! Black Ops II sold tremendously well. Now, take a moment to sit down, have a few deep breaths and recover from that shock. Are you okay? Good.
Treyarch’s covert sequel’s dominance of the UK Games Chart is slightly tempered by the fact that it didn’t sell as well as the previous three games in the series during its opening week. It goes down as the UK’s fourth biggest game launch, after Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2 and Modern Warfare 3. 60 per cent of those sales were on the Xbox 360, with 38 per cent on the PS3. Meaning that just 2 per cent of sales were the boxed copy of the PC game. Maybe they’d have done better if they’d advertised the accidental Mass Effect 2 bonus disc? I’m joking, of course, most PC sales were probably through the digital retailers that aren’t counted in these charts.
Black Ops Declassified, the Vita version, has a strong (for the Vita) launch at 16th on the chart. That’s despite being a really terrible game. We haven’t reviewed that yet because I’m struggling to actually play the hour or so of campaign missions it offers – it’s that poor.
Sony’s big release of the week – Wonderbook – managed to hit number 25 in the chart. That’s not great when other casual titles like Skylanders Giants and Just Dance 4 are climbing, presumably as parents begin to get their Christmas shopping done. It’s not too bad though, considering it’s a new concept they’re trying to sell.
Here’s the top twenty:
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- HALO 4 – MICROSOFT
- FIFA 13 – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- ASSASSIN’S CREED III – UBISOFT
- SKYLANDERS GIANTS – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- NEED FOR SPEED MOST WANTED – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- JUST DANCE 4 – UBISOFT
- BORDERLANDS 2 – TAKE 2
- THE SIMS 3: SEASONS – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- FOOTBALL MANAGER 2013 – SEGA
- WWE ’13 – THQ
- THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
- MOSHI MONSTERS: MOSHLINGS THEME PARK – MIND CANDY
- DISHONORED – BETHESDA SOFTWORKS
- FORZA MOTORSPORT 4 – MICROSOFT
- CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS DECLASSIFIED – ACTIVISION BLIZZARD
- KINECT DISNEYLAND ADVENTURES – MICROSOFT
- NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 – NINTENDO
- MEDAL OF HONOR: WARFIGHTER – ELECTRONIC ARTS
- RESIDENT EVIL 6 – CAPCOM
Get the full chart from UKIE.