Thomas Was Alone Heading To PlayStation 3 And PlayStation Vita

Indie favourite heading to PlayStation platforms.

Indie favourite Thomas Was Alone is heading to PlayStation platforms, and soon. If you’re not aware of what the game is check our earlier coverage – it’s a kooky, adventurous platform puzzler featuring nothing but rectangles and voiced by Danny Wallace.

“The first console I ever bought for myself was a PlayStation 2,” says the game’s developer Mike Bithell. “I remember digesting every single game on the packaged demo disk in fevered anticipation, while saving up the money to buy Metal Gear Solid 2 to go with it. For the record, I always thought Raiden was cool.”

“Now I’ve wowed you with my PlayStation fanboy credentials, I hope you’ll understand the excitement I feel at uttering the following words: This Spring, Thomas Was Alone is coming to PlayStation 3 and PS Vita (with cross buy),” he said, on the PlayStation Blog.

“Which is, if we’re honest, ridiculous. I made a game about rectangles and friendship in my free time. I was lucky enough to find some incredible collaborators who made my script sound good, and my environments sound far more awesome than their humble rectangular graphics. I was shocked when a community formed and people actually played it.”

“According to the internet, they liked it too.”

“Console’s interesting,” Mike said to TheSixthAxis last year. “The game was totally designed to be played on a keyboard, but I think the mechanics could move well on to a controller. Bringing to console is a mountain to climb, but if the players want it, I might have to give it a go.”

The game will feature new content on PS3. “The new included director’s commentary and purchaseable Benjamin DLC episode are debuting on the consoles first,” says Mike. “This is because, in all honesty, they couldn’t have happened without Sony’s help.”

“We are delighted to be welcoming Thomas onto our platforms and it has been a huge pleasure to work with such talented developers to bring this unique and charming story to our users,” said SCEE’s Senior Business Development Manager Shahid Ahmad. “To have such an original indie title available on both PS3 and PS Vita is fantastic, it’s a game with wit and personality and we are sure its arrival on PlayStation platforms will be met with real enthusiasm by our users.”

1. teflon
    Community Team

No other games has ever made you believe that squares and rectangles could have a personality as much as this one.

Even Portal needed a three dimensional cube to manage it.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 16:08.
    • Alex C
      One for all.

To be fair, TWA is heavily narrated but yeah, I’d agree. excellent game.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 22:57.
  2. TSBonyman

Great, i liked the look and sound of it when the pc version was discussed here. Good one Sony for getting this game on playstation!

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 16:19.
  3. cc_star
    Team TSA: Writer

Great news.

Not just that Thomas Was Alone is heading to PS3, but Sony are helping it come to PS3… The game could be a pile of crap (it certainly isn’t) but the fact “couldn’t have happened without Sony’s help.”” shows to me that Sony have still got it despite some occasional ball dropping.

Coupled with the red carpet they’re trying to roll out for developers on the PS4 shows the future could be very bright indeed on the indie front. For me the indie front is vitally important, not just because I enjoy a wide variety of indie games, but it’s a vibrant community that makes game after game, tries new things and doesn’t fit into the typical October or fail release calendar. eg. There’s always something interesting happening.

So for today at least, go Sony!

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 16:30.
    • bunimomike

Agreed. It’s that sort of support and attitude that buys them so much respect from me it’s unbelievable some times. Good on them.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 17:27.
  4. Kevatron400
    Drake, baby.

Such good news. I’ve always wanted to play this game, but my laptop restarts if the graphics card tries anything more ambitious than a word document.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 16:40.
  5. bunimomike

Great news. Have the demo sitting here and I’ve still not checked it out (installed it?) so this is the shove I need. Something to try on the TV with a relaxing sofa to veg on as oppose to at my desk on the PC.

Best of luck to them.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 17:28.
  6. Sitorimon
    Since: Jul 2011

Oh my god. I LOVE THIS GAME! It’s such a great game, I think I would consider getting it again to show my support.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 18:55.
  7. billsmugs
    Since: Mar 2009

I wish I hadn’t bought it on PC last year now! I always thought it’d look amazing on the Vita’s screen, but I didn’t think it would happen.

If the DLC episode and the game are reasonably priced (and the DLC is a good length) then I might consider buying it again. I think I only paid £2.99 for it on PC, so I may well be feeling generous when this turns up on the PSN Store.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 19:55.
  8. RudeAwakening
    Since: Jan 2011

This is freaking great news, really wanted to play this since i heard about it here on TSA. Will definitely be buying this.

I hope when the PS4 does arrive it will push pc developers to port some of their amazing games, like Amnesia, would love to play that too. Fingers crossed.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 21:38.
  9. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Brilliant news, really like this game.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 22:26.
  10. Kennykazey
    Since: Mar 2010

Great, I’ve been interested in this game for some time, a Vita release is what it takes for me to split with my money.

Comment posted on 27/02/2013 at 22:45.