Resistance And Gran Turismo 5 Servers To Be Closed

Farewell Chimera.

On 28th March 2014 all three Resistance games on PlayStation 3 will lose their online features. If you fancy one last bash at Resistance: Fall Of Man multiplayer then best do it quick

Four days earlier on 20th March, Gran Turismo 5 will lose all online functions, which seems rather soon after the release of GT6.

Sony also confirmed once more the closure of the servers for MAG, SOCOM: Special Forces and SOCOM: Confrontation on January 28th. As MAG and SOCOM: Confrontation do not have offline modes you might as well fashion the discs in to decorative hats after the shutdown.

Source: Sony

1. cam the man

Well they have to close them sometime, but I bet there will be a lot of disappointed GT5 owners.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 11:56.
  2. OcelHrobka1991
    Since: Oct 2013

Shame to hear about MAG as only 2 weeks ago we were saying on the Best of this generation that it was something new and never seen before. GT and Resistance i can totally see the reasons for doing this.

Oh well. Time for 1 last play and then will put it on the shelf to gather dust or maybe ill try to trade it in to GAME a week before its turned off. EVIL ME :)

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 11:57.
  3. Starman
    Since: Jul 2011

Seems a bit early for gt5 but psn needs all the servers it can get judging by its problems over xmas.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 12:37.
    • Wardy-77-
      Since: Mar 2013

Most have had issues over Christmas with Psn Xbox1 WiiU and even steam having hiccups,i was still able to play online even if my friends list was a bit screwy.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 14:43.
      • Starman
        Since: Jul 2011

PSN had problems for 4 days running. Far worse than any other networks.

Comment posted on 29/12/2013 at 12:42.
  4. Forrest_01

Resistance FOM i get.
    Resistance 2 i get.
    Resistance 3 & GT5? Not so much.

I know plenty of people that still play GT5 fairly regularly (meets were still going on up until recently as well if i recall) so other than the fact that GT6 is now out & they are potentially trying to force people to upgrade by removing online play from the older model, i can’t really see the purpose.

Resistance is a bit of a sore point for me though, as i only picked it up relatively recently.

Granted, neither game is particularly new, but then you could argue that neither game is particularly OLD either.

FFS – I hate having to play games to a deadline. :(

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 13:38.
    • Wardy-77-
      Since: Mar 2013

Better get started on that Resistance 3 then ;)

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 14:46.
      • Forrest_01

Yeah, that was my thinking too – However, after doing a bit of research, it seems that the only thing i would need online for would be co-op & as i am now seemingly the only person in the world that is still playing PS3, i reckon i should be ok. :)

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 15:25.
    • blast71
      Since: May 2012

Resistance 3 is in my backlog too, I’d better have a bash at it soon.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 15:46.
    • sanmartinez

If you need someone for the coop part, you can always send me a message mate. Although I do have a PS4 I find myself going back to PS3 most of the time.
      And I still need to do that Brutal playthrough on Resistance

Comment posted on 29/12/2013 at 15:59.
      • WalkingP
        Since: Aug 2013

I’m still playing on my PS3 all the time and my PS4 is gathering dust. They need to get some AAA title games released for the PS4.

Comment posted on 29/12/2013 at 19:43.
    • Tomhlord
      Team TSA: Writer
      Since: Apr 2009

My understanding is (and for more detail visit GTPlanet where all is explained) that GT6 and GT5 actually share some serves and online “bits”. So, shutting it down means, in theory, better online performance for GT6.

The same was true for GT5 Prologue and GT5, and when Prologue was closed online, GT5 was more stable.

Comment posted on 30/12/2013 at 00:27.
  5. a inferior race
    I'm special

Gt5 is a bit soon

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 14:56.
  6. hol
    Since: Oct 2009

Kinda sad about nearly all these, spent serious hours on MAG & GT5 plus had a lot of laughs with mates on both the Resistance & Socom games.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 15:47.
  7. Lyts1985
    Since: Jan 2009

On 28th March 2014… Four days earlier on the 20th March…

Whoops ;-)

But soon for GT5 for my liking. I never really played the Resistance games but didn’t R3 have quite a few online trophies?

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 16:39.
  8. bunimomike

I’m surprised Sony doesn’t build a bare bones P2P (peer to peer) utility that patches into every game that uses online (or at least most of them) which will then support people hosting a game and others connecting. It guarantees the life of the game with online shenanigans. I used to be able to host Left 4 Dead 2 games with seven friends connected no problem. Even with a couple of people connected from the Netherlands (and I’m in the UK). If Sony built that utility it means it would be secure and run on every game flawlessly.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 17:08.
    • Starman
      Since: Jul 2011

Great idea. Be ideal for co-op especially.

Comment posted on 29/12/2013 at 20:18.
  9. TheShepanator

Shame about any game losing it’s servers, only 2 weeks ago I persuaded a few friends to invest £2 for a copy of resistance 2 each, the co-op in that game is sublime

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 18:01.
  10. Crazy_Del

There goes Resistance 2 Platinum. Need the co op bits but hard to find

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 18:05.
    • Crazy_Del

Dammit hit post by accident, stupid phone. As I was saying hard to find players if they need co op trophies. Oh well, enjoyed the campaign and a 6 player co op with TSA years ago. Was good fun.

Comment posted on 27/12/2013 at 18:08.