First Video Of GTA-Like "Retro City Rampage" On PS Vita

8-bit.

If this doesn’t sell Vitas, nothing will.

I once asked Brian Provinciano, the guy behind Retro City Rampage, if he had any plans on bringing the 8-bit styled GTA-like game to Vita – but back then it was all top secret.

Now though, well, it’s all out in the open, and looking fab. In an article over on the PS Blog, the developer confirms a few Vita-specifics – there are two screen modes, and touchscreen menus.

Best of all is Continuous Play – start a game on PS3, save, and continue on Vita.

No release date yet, though, sadly. “It’ll be out as soon as possible,” says Provinciano. “I’m fixing the final bugs and working around the clock to get it into your hands as soon as I can.”

Oh, and the first comment on the US Blog? “ps1 games on psvita we want!!!!!!” Sigh.

1. doomsday619
    Since: Nov 2008

Looks quite cool probably get this when it comes out.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 20:46.
  2. Flightx

it looks like a cross between gta and pokemon

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 20:54.
  3. flatspikes

The second most exciting Vita title for me at present I think… This looks like the game I could never play as a child so I quite agree with the guy here. On it’s own clearly not going to make a huge difference to the Vita but if more content of this type makes its way… it could help change the tide. I guess I’m hoping more and more PSN content will get dual releases…

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 21:05.
  4. heedbaw

Has this released on anything yet? Been around for a while and it does look like it could be quality. Although if SCEE have their hand in it could be another 2 or 3 years before it’ll get a release over here.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 21:32.
    • Kivi95
      Since: Oct 2009

Nothing else yet. Think it will be released for PC aswell.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 21:47.
  5. Jakster123x
    Since: Aug 2011

Looks like good fun

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 21:39.
  6. Tuffcub
    On the naughty step.

Looks awful.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:02.
    • nofi
      One for all.

Trolololol

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:06.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

Im not trolling dear – see below.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:11.
    • Tuffcub
      On the naughty step.

To clarfiy, I’m sure its a lovely game, but I didnt spend £200 just to play games that will run a Spectrum.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:10.
      • nofi
        One for all.

Good for you. But it doesn’t look “awful” at all. You’re so quick to shit on stuff that doesn’t tick all the boxes for you. =(

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:13.
      • cam the man

That’s what I thought, looks good fun but a bit, well a lot, too retro.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:17.
      • nofi
        One for all.

It’s called RETRO City Rampage for a reason… :/

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:19.
      • Tuffcub
        On the naughty step.

It does look awful, it’s 2012, not 1992.

Anyway I’m allowed an opinion (which of course, is right).

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:17.
      • skibadee
        Since: Oct 2009

is that not the great thing about the Vita it can do it all.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:18.
      • colmshan1990
        Since: Apr 2009

I normally dislike ‘retro’ games, as they’re just excuses for crap games.
        But this one seems to have more potential than that. Listening to the developer talk about it, the look seems more like a skin than anything else.
        I’ll wait for reviews, or the ultimate test- a demo- before I buy though.
        Just in case the retro really is just an excuse.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:44.
      • heedbaw

Spectrum is a bit too far. If memory serves, it was originally designed to be a NES version of a GTA style game.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:47.
      • Sympo

i think its more awesome to go for a retro look rather than 3D graphics.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:56.
      • colossalblue
        Team TSA: Editor

“I didnt spend £200 just to play games that will run [on] a Spectrum.” Says the man who plays Montezuma Blitz on his Vita every day – a game that could run on Facebook :-P

Art style is subjective, different people like different things. If we shit on other people’s tastes, that only reflects badly on us.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 00:27.
      • JesseDeya
        Since: Jan 2010

Amusing little spat :)

I tend to agree with Tuffcub in principle, although his comments were a little absolute. On the flip side, Nofi was fairly absolute too.

Does it “look aweful”? No, but it’s certainly not for everyone.

Is this a true system seller (“If this doesn’t sell Vitas, nothing will”). Absolutely not.

Some people (clearly) love retro games, that’s great and Sony would do well to cater to them. On the other hand, many gamers have no interest in going backwards. I could myself amongst the later which is why I agree in principle with TC.

Having said that, I think it’s the retro graphics, not retro game play that disinterests me. The games looks fun, but graphics look lazy. If this game were made with a layer of modern polish over those pixels I think it would be a lot more appealing.

I’ll still buy it though, this dev, the vita, and cross platform play all deserve my support dollars.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 01:53.
    • TSBonyman

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 01:06.
  7. herotoozero
    Since: Mar 2009

It’s all about pricing i guess. If people pay 10 quid for something they can get for 59p on an app store then they only have themselves to blame for high prices.

I’m with tuffcub on this one, retro my arse..if i wanted retro i’d get my spectrum out or be happy buying a legal emulator and bunch of roms for the probable cost of this shite.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 22:57.
    • heedbaw

The thing with this is that it’s very unlikely to be a small game. As I said before, I think it was originally a NES game he was making but then transferred over to PC/Console development as there was just way too much stuff he wanted to put into it to fit onto a NES cart.
      I for one am looking forward to it, most of the retro style games released recently are better than the full price AAA blockbuster nonsense getting pumped out by the usual suspects.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 00:56.
  8. tactical20

Retro games need retro prices.

Comment posted on 21/05/2012 at 23:43.
    • E8_BALL_
      Since: Jul 2010

I remember when Codemasters charged £1.99. I used to come home every Sat with a suitcase of games & zero pcket money left.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 08:30.
  9. TSBonyman

Reminded me of one of those DS RPG games – but with cars, and platforming..could be fun.. should be reasonably priced..

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 01:12.
  10. Awayze
    Since: Jul 2010

I just want GTA and Midnight Club for Vita! Some racing game where I can modify cars and street race.

Comment posted on 22/05/2012 at 01:58.