So, it’s May the fourth, and that obviously means that fanboys are walking around talking about Star Wars while doing Jonathan Ross impressions, but it’s also a bank holiday weekend, so once today’s done a lot of people have got two more days off to look forward to!
The weather even seems pretty nice, so I’m sure there’s going to be almost as many barbecues as there were over Easter!
In the News This Week
- Epic Games Acquires Rocket League Developer Psyonix
- PlayStation 5 has ‘special sauce’
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Towers of Time to be made easier this week, NetherRealm giving out free currency
- Borderlands 3 will have cosmetic microtransactions, but not the bad kind [updated]
- The first Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer is here and it’s ****ing awful
- Design of the movie version of Sonic the Hedgehog to be changed
- The Valve Index VR headset has been revealed
- Slightly Mad Studio’s Mad Box console is in trouble
- The May PlayStation Plus games have been revealed!
- The May Games with Gold have been revealed
Games in Review
There’s some absolute gems that we got to review this past week, so long as you’re happy with indie games and not expecting AAA monsters. Katana Zero and VA-11 Hall-A are both definitely worth checking out.
- Katana Zero – Switch, PC – 9/10
- VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action – PS4, Switch, PC – 9/10
- Black Paradox – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 8/10
- Yuppie Psycho – PC – 8/10
- Snooker 19 – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 6/10
- Grimshade – PC – 5/10
Reviewed platform in bold.
This Week’s Features
Elsewhere, we had a rather big week for previews. Dom jetted off to LA to go hands on with Borderlands 3, before chatting with the art director on how they’ve kept the game’s tone just right, meanwhile I went and did our F1 2019 preview, which is possibly the series’ most ambitious entry yet.
Ade played the latest DLC for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, but found himself thoroughly bored by The Fate of Atlantis. Much more interesting was his latest Playing with History, a look at the forbidden gay love of Sundown: A Dunkirk Story.
Dom called the Switch port of Final Fantasy XII portable RPG perfection, while my opinions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey in VR were less then enthusiastic.
Finally, after the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer, Tuffcub compiled a list of eight things that look more like Sonic – fair warning, it’s NSFW (Not Sonic for Work). And we round off the week with What We Played, featuring Borderlands 3, F1 2019 and Dragon’s Dogma.
Checking in with the community, and it’s one of those times where gamers overlook or don’t agree with the flaws that critics highlight in review.
- Crazy_Del enjoyed a week off work by playing World War Z, Mortal Kombat 11 (for his 379th platinum trophy!) and has been loving his time with Days Gone so far.
- JR. has also really been enjoying Days Gone, rating it much more highly that critics, and being wowed by the weather effects.
- And Aerobes has also been having a good time with the Days Gone world that Sony Bend have created.
- Finally, MrYd has stuck to Honor and Duty with lots of Path of Exile alongside it.
The Week Ahead
A relatively quiet week ahead, compared to some that we’ve had recently.
- Puyo Puyo Champions – PS4, XBO, Switch, PC – 07/05
- For the King – PS4, XBO, Switch – 09/05
- Life Is Strange 2: Episode 3 – PS4, XBO, PC – 09/05
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 – PC – 09/05
- Saints Row: The Third – Switch – 10/05
That’s it for this edition, have a lovely long weekend and we’ll see you again soon!